Best surprise set of the weekend

Riggins

15 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

So glad somebody off here was at Cut Capers too. I can’t remember where I was off to but I was passing Avalon just as they started and stayed for the whole set. Absolutely amazing and easily made my top 5 of the weekend. A perfect festival set. Fantastic stuff.

We were on the front row. They posted a video on Instagram and I can see myself grinning in a sweaty mess. Don't think I've ever been so hot and don't think I've ever seen a band so hot. Really was excellent stuff. Wish they could get bands like these on bigger stages on Wednesday and Thursday so that everyone could be thoroughly entertained and they could get the monstrous following they deserve. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

So glad somebody off here was at Cut Capers too. I can’t remember where I was off to but I was passing Avalon just as they started and stayed for the whole set. Absolutely amazing and easily made my top 5 of the weekend. A perfect festival set. Fantastic stuff.

I was also there. Went for a double header of burning hell & cut capers.

Was feeling smug about how cool the tent was during burning hell.

Then after cut capers I was drenched in sweat. They were brilliant though.

Left a couple of minutes early as I wanted to get to mattiel but had to drag myself away quite reluctantly.

• Upvote 1

I was a bit nervous the two things I was looking forward to might be let downs.

Mavis Staples is 80 & Lizzo performs to a backing track. Was scared that might make them rubbish live despite liking their music.

I had no reason to be concerned. Both knocked it out of the park.

My total surprise was northbase DJ set, which wasn't on my plan, but walked past & everyone looked to be having such a good time I decided to stay there and ditched DC Fontaines who I was walking to see.

22 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Watching it again right now Lukas Nelson and The Promise of the Real, glad I skipped out of Sheryl early for these as I loved them and am definitely a fan now. 

Still the craziest clash of the weekend that

LINNES at the Bread and Roses bar look like a good prospect; really short songs but full of energy. Also loved the drag act on after; did a great version of Moonage Daydream. Can’t remember his name but he was from Trowbridge. 

Snapped Ankles at the Crows Nest early Sunday morning. Had never heard them before, was chilling at the top of the park and went into the Crows Nest as it was getting a bit cold. Snapped ankles came on and loved their in your face no hiding synth Mark E Smith sound. Bought the CD's and on my to see again list...

9 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Ferris & Sylvester.  Saw them at Strummerville.  

They came up in my Spotify Discover Weekly playlist just before the festival and really liked them so decided to get to Strummerville early enough for Frank Turner to catch them as well. Really glad I did - hopefully this year's Glasto is a real launching pad for them.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SighMo said:

LINNES at the Bread and Roses bar look like a good prospect; really short songs but full of energy. 

Glad you liked them. Really wanted to go along and support them as I have been doing since their early days but I was just too broken. They are doing a free gig in Manchester next week as part of MIF so I might pop into that. 

On 7/7/2019 at 4:44 PM, found home in 2009 said:

I was also there. Went for a double header of burning hell & cut capers.

Was feeling smug about how cool the tent was during burning hell.

Then after cut capers I was drenched in sweat. They were brilliant though.

Left a couple of minutes early as I wanted to get to mattiel but had to drag myself away quite reluctantly.

Delighted that there is so much love for Cut Capers on here. The ticket Gods didn't smile on me this year but I saw them in Avalon Cafe in 2017 and they smashed it. I was telling anyone who would listen (and many who won't how good they are). Love them to bits.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Glad you liked them. Really wanted to go along and support them as I have been doing since their early days but I was just too broken. They are doing a free gig in Manchester next week as part of MIF so I might pop into that. 

I asked if they had any plans to gig down South but doesn’t seem likely for now...disappointing, they’d go down well at the Southampton venues. 

9 minutes ago, SighMo said:

I asked if they had any plans to gig down South but doesn’t seem likely for now...disappointing, they’d go down well at the Southampton venues. 

I'm hoping they get a more prominent spot at Glastonbury next year at least. They have a few supporters at 6 Music so hopefully will stand them in good stead. 

On 7/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, gigpusher said:

Cut Capers. Thought they'd be quite fun but they were absolutely amazing. Had an ace time and so want them to tour so I can see them again. 

Also loved Cut Capers, saw them in the Avalon Cafe on the Thursday night. Had heard good things about them but hadn't been particularly impressed by the stuff on Spotify - live they have much more punch, tremendous fun.

Although I suppose my real surprise of the weekend was just how much I enjoyed Kylie!

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Also loved Cut Capers, saw them in the Avalon Cafe on the Thursday night. Had heard good things about them but hadn't been particularly impressed by the stuff on Spotify - live they have much more punch, tremendous fun.

We tried to get in on Thursday but it was rammed so we went and saw The Lounge Kittens at West Holts bar and they were fantastic as always. We vowed to right our wrong with Cut Capers which meant I ended up with a very busy Saturday morning. Promised my friend who didn't get tickets that I'd at least watch 1 song of Cat Empire who are one of her favourite bands, then went and watched half of The Proclaimers for my husband and then to Cut Capers. We managed to get front row and they were awesome. Apparently the temperature in the tent was 40 degrees. It was crazy hot but how energetic they were. The guitarist playing with one of the singers on his shoulders was crazy!! Would definitely go and see them live if they toured up this way. 

Stuck around after Beans in toast on the greenpeace stage of Thursday, wasn’t in a great mood as it was so busy I couldn’t see or hear any of Beans. Someone on head recommended sticking around after for Will Varley. So glad I did, he was awesome and put me straight back into a great mood ☺️ 

Had a mare with Beans on Toast at the Greenpeace as well on the Thursday. Biggest surprise was Rob Da Bank on the same stage later on, partly as I’d expected to have to put up with massive crowds like everything else on Thursday. Was busy without being too rammed and he played a blinder of a set; The Night, I Wanna Be Your Lover and Witness the Fitness amongst others.

Watched Mattiel and then got some drinks and was wondering off when I thought I should see a bit of Love Unlimited Synth Orchestra. Stayed for the whole set, lovely stuff in the sunshine. Some great guests as well (Gruff Rhys with his cards made me smile more). And all "remixed" live from the sound desk.

Can't get enough of Glastonbury

Edited by fred quimby

On 7/6/2019 at 1:18 PM, HeyPorter said:

Watching it again right now Lukas Nelson and The Promise of the Real, glad I skipped out of Sheryl early for these as I loved them and am definitely a fan now. 

I left at Soak Up The Sun (I think) and dashed it up quickly to the Park for the start of Promise of the Real. Both were fab sets, Promise of the Real in particular. 

In a funny similar twist of fate, they are both playing on Day one of Newport Folk Festival (July 26) which I'm going to and they've just released stage times and this time, Promise of The Real play 410 to 510 on one stage, while Sheryl Crow is 440 to 545 elsewhere....trying to figure out my split this time...