Best surprise set of the weekend

Riggins

Who took you by surprise? Either a new find or someone you saw for the first time. 

Mine would have to be Sports Team. Went along thinking they were alright based on their tunes but they properly blew me away live. They had the crowd in the palm of their hand. Definitely now on my radar going forward, stage prescence in buckets. 

Thought Miley would be good but not as good as she was.

If I hadn't seen him at All Points East and already had that surprise moment, Mac Demarco definitely would've been the biggest surprise of the festival considering I find him a bit boring.

As far as fairly new discoveries go, Swimming Girls were fantastic in the Rabbit Hole on Thursday afternoon. Really wanted to catch their John Peel set before being thwarted by the Vampire Weekend secret set. Defo gonna catch them again when they're in the area.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Stormzy. He was basically a ‘meh, alright then’ choice but gave me the second best set of the entire weekend (after Janelle). 

She was definitely up there for performance of the weekend, one of the rare acts where I need to know very few songs or words and the show just does it. Tool me about 10/15 minutes decide that her over The Cure was the correct decision.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

She was definitely up there for performance of the weekend, one of the rare acts where I need to know very few songs or words and the show just does it. Tool me about 10/15 minutes decide that her over The Cure was the correct decision.

Sunday Glastonbury headliners did it again - where people see different acts and not only say "I enjoyed the act I saw, I have no regrets", but actually say " I made the right choice. I saw the best headliner, no doubt about it"

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was surprised at quite how much I enjoyed The Cure, which was a lot.

The fond memories of this set will remain with me forever, alongside the shame of having spent the whole festival telling all and sundry that everyone I'd ever known who'd seen the cure had reported them as being the most dull live band in history.

Sorry bob!

3 minutes ago, Spindles said:

The fond memories of this set will remain with me forever, alongside the shame of having spent the whole festival telling all and sundry that everyone I'd ever known who'd seen the cure had reported them as being the most dull live band in history.

Sorry bob!

I saw them a couple of years ago and thought they were a bit shit!

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was surprised at quite how much I enjoyed The Cure, which was a lot.

I was surprised at just how dreary I found The Cure. Guess I maybe should have hung about.

I'd been looking forward to it and got myself inside the barrier early enough that I could have been right at the front. "At last somethings gone to plan", I was thinking. Four or five numbers in and I just felt overwhelmingly that I had to get out or I'd regret it. (Picture of You was good though).

Wandered through CatQ and Janelle. Really wished I'd picked one of them, especially Janelle. Instantly pricked my ears and my eyes up (had never heard of her until I walked into West Holts that night).

Mosh pits in West Holts for Slowthai. That was a happening gig. Knew he was a trouble maker when he started getting really bossy with the crowd at the start.

Beans on Toast on Thursday in the Greenpeace field was a perfect Glastonbury starter (with props to Mik Artistik on the Wednesday natch). Surpised at how emotional I got at that.

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Cut Capers. Thought they'd be quite fun but they were absolutely amazing. Had an ace time and so want them to tour so I can see them again. 

So glad somebody off here was at Cut Capers too. I can’t remember where I was off to but I was passing Avalon just as they started and stayed for the whole set. Absolutely amazing and easily made my top 5 of the weekend. A perfect festival set. Fantastic stuff.

8 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I was surprised at just how dreary I found The Cure. Guess I maybe should have hung about.

I'd been looking forward to it and got myself inside the barrier early enough that I could have been right at the front. "At last somethings gone to plan", I was thinking. Four or five numbers in and I just felt overwhelmingly that I had to get out or I'd regret it. (Picture of You was good though).

Wandered through CatQ and Janelle. Really wished I'd picked one of them, especially Janelle. Instantly pricked my ears and my eyes up (had never heard of her until I walked into West Holts that night).

Mosh pits in West Holts for Slowthai. That was a happening gig. Knew he was a trouble maker when he started getting really bossy with the crowd at the start.

Beans on Toast on Thursday in the Greenpeace field was a perfect Glastonbury starter (with props to Mik Artistik on the Wednesday natch). Surpised at how emotional I got at that.

Nah, if you weren't feeling it, then that's just how it went. An encore with some other songs that you knew slightly better wouldn't have helped - unless you really didn't know most the songs they'd played before you gave up?

The Cure were fantastic which was nice but not a surprise. I wasn't meant to be at Miley but too knackered to get to my intended destination. 

Wow. I didn't expect that. The performance, he show, the energy was something else. Rock and roll may be an old fashioned term but she nailed it.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

One-two punch of Inbetween Days and Just Like Heaven was also a ? moment

Unfortunately those two exact songs were the one ill-timed moment of the set where the old equine snoozy snort left me a little too far out of the solar system to be paying attention.

The rest of it was magisterial, mind.