The Killers

jparx

27 minutes ago, jparx said:

Have to say, the run of Lizzo, Sigrid, Jungle and The Killers is the best I've seen at the festival. Just highlight after highlight.

Scary thing is, today could top it. 

was very happy with my run of vaccines, Bjorn again, wombats, Mac Demarco, idles, two door and tame Impala

had another great run yesterday with vampire weekend, fontaines dc, lizzo, Stella Donnelly and killers 

finishing off today with Jeff goldblum, Kylie, Miley, vampire weekend, rex orange county and the cure

really cant fault them,never felt like I've had massive gaps apart from after vampire weekend and that was just too hot to see anything anyway

2 minutes ago, OddRon said:

was very happy with my run of vaccines, Bjorn again, wombats, Mac Demarco, idles, two door and tame Impala

had another great run yesterday with vampire weekend, fontaines dc, lizzo, Stella Donnelly and killers 

finishing off today with Jeff goldblum, Kylie, Miley, vampire weekend, rex orange county and the cure

really cant fault them,never felt like I've had massive gaps apart from after vampire weekend and that was just too hot to see anything anyway

I think for a lineup that was initially met with fairly widespread "meh" reactions, it's been a hell of a festival. I keep getting messages from people at home saying "oh my god are you watching X?" but we're watching someone equally as good elsewhere. See so much incredible stuff and probably missed the same number of awesome things as well. So happy with what we've seen and done though.

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 1

I like them a lot, but I was sceptical when announced. But they were incredible- completely lost my shit when Johnny Marr came out. Whole set was great and the crowd were electric. 

Somehow not my favourite of the day - No words for Liam Gallagher, some of the biggest singalong songs possible on the Pyramid. definitely had a little tear for Champagne Supernova! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Massive Killers fan here, have watched them live in venues of various sizes over the last 10 years or so  

For me that was one of the best Killers sets I’ve seen. Loved every minute, and was lucky to be here with 3 old mates that love them aswell. 

IMO Brandon Flowers has developed into a fantastic front man. My main worry was they’d play to much off Wonderful Wonderful which is mostly average but it was banger after banger. 

Makes up for the sound mess up in 07. Would happily have them back again in a few years after another album. 

“When tonight is over I don’t want you to say we got away with it. We want you to say Those are the Sons of Bitches who did it!”

and boy did they! 

15 minutes ago, watsonjm said:

Massive Killers fan here, have watched them live in venues of various sizes over the last 10 years or so  

For me that was one of the best Killers sets I’ve seen. Loved every minute, and was lucky to be here with 3 old mates that love them aswell. 

IMO Brandon Flowers has developed into a fantastic front man. My main worry was they’d play to much off Wonderful Wonderful which is mostly average but it was banger after banger. 

Makes up for the sound mess up in 07. Would happily have them back again in a few years after another album. 

“When tonight is over I don’t want you to say we got away with it. We want you to say Those are the Sons of Bitches who did it!”

and boy did they! 

I don't feel like I'd ever heard as much criticism of their 2007 set as much as Brandon Flowers has been in the run up to this one. Maybe he was trying to make this one more victorious?

It's a cool narrative though; played on the way up as the 'big' band of the time, came back after honing their live show across hundreds of festival headline shows to cement their rep. The set won't be a momentous one in Glastonbury history but in The Killers history, it might just be.

At a time where noughties bands are now transitioning into heritage acts, I think the effortless run-through of the hits last night (I liked the encore as well but this impressed me more so) shows that they're a fucking force when it comes down to putting on a show of singalong anthems.

Edited by dentalplan

I'll throw my hand up and admit I've knocked the Killers as being something of a nearly-band, but as I sat on my balcony in the evening heat with a Bulmers in my hand, VPN doing its best, Brandon and the lads did a terrific job. My wife joined me after half an hour and we sat and watched nearly the whole set, was really great, wish I could have been there 

I don't know if anyone remembers, but when Brandon Flowers introduced Pet Shop Boys for their lifetime achievement award at the Brits a good few years go, he told the story of how his mum took him to a music shop and he had to make the painful decision of choosing between getting the Pet Shop Boys or The Smiths album on cassette for his birthday. 

Felt it was an amazing touch he performed with both last night!

Seen Killers many times over the years so was sort of in the camp I've seen them do some great shows 8-9 years ago, so what else can they bring??

They were incredible on TV and Brandon has definitely honed his front man skills!!! They have the hits and the singalongs looked fantastic - fab set 

Missed this thread entirely and wasn't sure where to put anything. Don't think I can justify posting on here for years (and having countless arguments about The Killers' credentials as a repeat headliner, probably about a hundred times just with @dentalplan lol) without putting a post up about this set.

I'd seen The Killers 7 times before this over the last 6 years, and that's including the Glastonbury secret set as well as the night I saw them absolutely smash it at TRNSMT immediately followed by a midnight gig at King Tut's. Going into this, it kinda felt like I'd seen them do it all and as much as I was gonna have a great time, it might not quite compare to when I'd seen them before. Especially as I felt I knew exactly what we were gonna get setlist wise (and I pretty much did for the main chunk of the set).

I ended up with a much bigger group of mates than I was expecting considering the clashes. One lad I know knew these two girls who ended up watching it with us, one who was clearly as obsessed with the band as me so it was great watching them with another diehard fan.

The crowd from the start of the gig was absolutely ridiculous and was all the way through. Even when they were chucking out the lesser known songs such as The Way It Was, obviously the flares and the singing died down but it was still a great atmosphere. I've never seen Brandon (or possibly any other frontman) as up for a set, and it felt amazing knowing the band would remember this for as long as I will.

Towards the end of the main set, I'd already decided it was up there with the best things I've ever seen and was potentially matching the secret set in 2017, something I never expected. Before the encore started I was talking to my mate saying about how they're obviously gonna come out and do Mr Brightside, but they always do 3 song encores and I couldn't figure out what the other two could be, so they're gonna do one or two rare ones. (I'd forgotten they'd only done a teaser of Human rather than the full song.)

When I got home on Monday, I saw an NME article from Saturday afternoon about how Brandon had teased how they were bringing out multiple guests for the set. I'm so so glad I didn't see this before it happened as for some reason, beyond maybe Liam Gallagher (which I wouldn't have particularly cared about), I hadn't really considered the prospect of it.

So when I saw that big hat and was like "I swear that's the Pet Shop Boys" to all my mates, who were clueless, it felt like we were seeing something special. You Were Always On My Mind was incredible, (I actually only found out like late last year that this wasn't originally their song haha). Seeing them stick around for a Killers tune was really, really cool as well.

When Brandon said about how they're gonna double down and started talking about a "guitar hero", I figured ah ok, double down and play yr biggest tune. Maybe Mr Brightside featured on Guitar Hero is what crossed my mind for some reason (in hindsight, as if he'd have referenced that wtf). He says "Johnny fuckin' Marr" and I'm just stood there with my head in my hands for the entirety of This Charming Man just shaking my head. Didn't even sing along as I couldn't get my head around any of it. I was stood there in my Cribs t shirt as well which just added to the bizarreness of it all. And then I get to see Johnny Marr playing Mr Brightside as well ffs. Absolutely obscene and maybe did or didn't make me cry on Monday night when I was in no fit state to be watching it back but did anyway.

I'm pretty sure this was my favourite set of all time anyway and can't see anything ever topping it. The best day of my life when you throw in the rest of the day with the VW and Foals secret sets, the former in the morning feeling super surreal as well. And then staying up all night in just the best mood. If I ever miss out on Glastonbury tickets in future I'll be beyond gutted, but a silver lining is I know it won't compare to missing out on these two Killers sets I've seen at the last two festivals. I just can't believe any of it happened. 

I dunno where they go as a live act from here for me. I'm not naive enough to say I won't pay to see them again, but a standard arena tour at something daft like £80 a pop isn't gonna appeal any time in the near future. I thought I'd seen them do it all before Saturday, but I surely have now. Time to mix up the setlist a bit for sure, but I'm glad they got the mass appeal spot on on this occasion.

On 6/30/2019 at 3:37 PM, Johnkhutch said:

I don't know if anyone remembers, but when Brandon Flowers introduced Pet Shop Boys for their lifetime achievement award at the Brits a good few years go, he told the story of how his mum took him to a music shop and he had to make the painful decision of choosing between getting the Pet Shop Boys or The Smiths album on cassette for his birthday. 

Felt it was an amazing touch he performed with both last night!

I was gonna reference this as well, which I remember watching when I was 12 and didn't really know anything about either The Smiths or PSB. What an amazing thing to see Brandon living out his childhood dreams. I've seen him bring out Bernard Sumner in the past at a solo gig as well for Bizarre Love Triangle, so I've been stupidly lucky to see him perform with 3 of his favourite ever artists.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

@Odessa great post. Echo most of that.

Weirdly my mind also raced to "wait, which Guitar Hero featured Mr Brightside?"

I honestly think the set is up there with any of the best ones from this decade. It's really hard to judge having not seen them all, but after watching it back on TV as well, it really was imperious. Brandon's energy and determination to nail the fuck out of the set was incredible. Vannucci utterly smashed it as well.

Got right down the front for the JP set in 2017 which was brilliant, but had seen them headline Latitude and BST in recent years, and had been underwhelmed both times.  On that basis we decided to watch the Chemical Brothers instead.  Then I broke my ankle and didn't fancy the walk to the Other from Kidney Mead on the Saturday, so went for the Killers instead.  So glad we did.  Totally nailed it.  Special guests were brilliant, and given I think I saw Brandon state they hadn't realised what headlining really meant when they did in 2007, I would say they got it this time!

A surprise joy for me.

I'd seen them at glasto in 2017 and later that year in Birmingham but that encore gave me shivers, we were so surprised by pet shop boys and then he goes "they say never meet your heroes something something ... well I'm gonna double down" and then Johnny Marr too, incredible

couldn't fault their set in the slightest even with a creepy fuck trying to kiss my girlfriend and a guy trying to pick a fight 

They were fantastic - couldn't have done any more.

I hadn't seen them (or listened to them much) since Leeds fest 08, so was happy to see them again, but they were never at the top of my Glasto wishlist. But as soon as they started up with Jenny I was fully on board, and the atmosphere never dipped throughout.

They'd already completed the job before the encore, but that cemented it as one of my favourite Pyramid sets (along with The Cure).

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

Missed this thread entirely and wasn't sure where to put anything. Don't think I can justify posting on here for years (and having countless arguments about The Killers' credentials as a repeat headliner, probably about a hundred times just with @dentalplan lol) without putting a post up about this set.

I'd seen The Killers 7 times before this over the last 6 years, and that's including the Glastonbury secret set as well as the night I saw them absolutely smash it at TRNSMT immediately followed by a midnight gig at King Tut's. Going into this, it kinda felt like I'd seen them do it all and as much as I was gonna have a great time, it might not quite compare to when I'd seen them before. Especially as I felt I knew exactly what we were gonna get setlist wise (and I pretty much did for the main chunk of the set).

I ended up with a much bigger group of mates than I was expecting considering the clashes. One lad I know knew these two girls who ended up watching it with us, one who was clearly as obsessed with the band as me so it was great watching them with another diehard fan.

The crowd from the start of the gig was absolutely ridiculous and was all the way through. Even when they were chucking out the lesser known songs such as The Way It Was, obviously the flares and the singing died down but it was still a great atmosphere. I've never seen Brandon (or possibly any other frontman) as up for a set, and it felt amazing knowing the band would remember this for as long as I will.

Towards the end of the main set, I'd already decided it was up there with the best things I've ever seen and was potentially matching the secret set in 2017, something I never expected. Before the encore started I was talking to my mate saying about how they're obviously gonna come out and do Mr Brightside, but they always do 3 song encores and I couldn't figure out what the other two could be, so they're gonna do one or two rare ones. (I'd forgotten they'd only done a teaser of Human rather than the full song.)

When I got home on Monday, I saw an NME article from Saturday afternoon about how Brandon had teased how they were bringing out multiple guests for the set. I'm so so glad I didn't see this before it happened as for some reason, beyond maybe Liam Gallagher (which I wouldn't have particularly cared about), I hadn't really considered the prospect of it.

So when I saw that big hat and was like "I swear that's the Pet Shop Boys" to all my mates, who were clueless, it felt like we were seeing something special. You Were Always On My Mind was incredible, (I actually only found out like late last year that this wasn't originally their song haha). Seeing them stick around for a Killers tune was really, really cool as well.

When Brandon said about how they're gonna double down and started talking about a "guitar hero", I figured ah ok, double down and play yr biggest tune. Maybe Mr Brightside featured on Guitar Hero is what crossed my mind for some reason (in hindsight, as if he'd have referenced that wtf). He says "Johnny fuckin' Marr" and I'm just stood there with my head in my hands for the entirety of This Charming Man just shaking my head. Didn't even sing along as I couldn't get my head around any of it. I was stood there in my Cribs t shirt as well which just added to the bizarreness of it all. And then I get to see Johnny Marr playing Mr Brightside as well ffs. Absolutely obscene and maybe did or didn't make me cry on Monday night when I was in no fit state to be watching it back but did anyway.

I'm pretty sure this was my favourite set of all time anyway and can't see anything ever topping it. The best day of my life when you throw in the rest of the day with the VW and Foals secret sets, the former in the morning feeling super surreal as well. And then staying up all night in just the best mood. If I ever miss out on Glastonbury tickets in future I'll be beyond gutted, but a silver lining is I know it won't compare to missing out on these two Killers sets I've seen at the last two festivals. I just can't believe any of it happened. 

I dunno where they go as a live act from here for me. I'm not naive enough to say I won't pay to see them again, but a standard arena tour at something daft like £80 a pop isn't gonna appeal any time in the near future. I thought I'd seen them do it all before Saturday, but I surely have now. Time to mix up the setlist a bit for sure, but I'm glad they got the mass appeal spot on on this occasion.

I was gonna reference this as well, which I remember watching when I was 12 and didn't really know anything about either The Smiths or PSB. What an amazing thing to see Brandon living out his childhood dreams. I've seen him bring out Bernard Sumner in the past at a solo gig as well for Bizarre Love Triangle, so I've been stupidly lucky to see him perform with 3 of his favourite ever artists.

This is a great post.

I know exactly how you feel, it’s not often you know as it’s happening that you are experiencing the best moment of your life. I’ve had time to think about it since being home, it still hasn’t really sunk in that I’ve seen The Killers headline Glastonbury. As you say it was an amazing set, without question the best set I’ve seen live by any band ever.

I am so happy I pushed myself out of my comfort zone to volunteer with Oxfam on my own so I can see them. At times when I felt I was struggling thinking about Brandon & Co got me through, I am so very happy for it and that I proved to myself I can do it on my own. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I love Brandon Flowers. I love The Killers. I love Glastonbury. 

• Like 2