Is It Too Hot?

st dan

Is it too Hot?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Is it too Hot?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Like someone said earlier, I did 2016 and found it far easier.

Same... I think mud is more of a mental challenge - as long as you’ve got the right clothing and the right frame of mind you can drink through it and still have a bloody good time watching bands! When it’s 30°C+ you can’t just grin and bear it, you have to find shade, drink more water and less booze, not over exert yourself etc. 

Yesterday’s weather was perfect for me, warm but not hot, occasional cloud cover, dry.

• Upvote 1

Friday was hot, but the breeze made it mostly bareable. Saturday was absolutely brutal until the clouds came in. Fontaines DC in Williams Green was the hottest and sweatiest I've ever been in my life. Will no longer be saying 'the hotter the better' in the weather thread! Sunday was perfect.

Edited by Lubic87

1 hour ago, JoBalls said:

Same... I think mud is more of a mental challenge - as long as you’ve got the right clothing and the right frame of mind you can drink through it and still have a bloody good time watching bands! When it’s 30°C+ you can’t just grin and bear it, you have to find shade, drink more water and less booze, not over exert yourself etc. 

Yesterday’s weather was perfect for me, warm but not hot, occasional cloud cover, dry.

This is spot on imo. If it’s muddy you can slap on the wellies, drink more whiskey and just get on with it. There’s no getting away from the heat though. That said I thought it was fine apart from Saturday morning / afternoon. I spent most of the time in the shade beside the glade unable to move.

Just now, Madyaker said:

This is spot on imo. If it’s muddy you can slap on the wellies, drink more whiskey and just get on with it. There’s no getting away from the heat though. That said I thought it was fine apart from Saturday morning / afternoon. I spent most of the time in the shade beside the glade unable to move.

I think the opposite.  There’s no getting away from the mud and it literally sticks around.  There is no “getting away from” the mud in a muddy year either.

The only way the sun curtailed my fun was that it lead me into making poor footwear choices which meant by Saturday night I couldn’t stand for more than 15-20 minutes without being in pain and needing to sit down.  But at least I could sit down.  Definitely and option that’s limited in muddy years.

Honestly? For Glastonbury give me mud over Friday/Saturday heat any day of the week.

With the appropriate clothing, mud and rain is fine. You can be out in it all day and still have a good time.

The heat this year was insufferable though. Taking clothes off was bad as it exposed your skin, keeping them on made you even sweatier. Basically no shade throughout the entire site and going back to your tent is like walking into a sauna. Add that to the ridiculous water queues and to be honest I wasn’t really able to enjoy Friday or Saturday at all until about 7pm, but then I was so drained from the heat that I was basically ready for bed as soon as the headliners finished. 

Edited by Bixer

3 minutes ago, Bixer said:

Honestly? For Glastonbury give me mud over Friday/Saturday heat any day of the week.

With the appropriate clothing, mud and rain is fine. You can be out in it all day and still have a good time.

The heat this year was insufferable though. Taking clothes off was bad as it exposed your skin, keeping them on made you even sweatier. Basically no shade throughout the entire site and going back to your tent is like walking into a sauna. Add that to the ridiculous water queues and to be honest I wasn’t really able to enjoy Friday or Saturday at all until about 7pm, but then I was so drained from the heat that I was basically ready for bed as soon as the headliners finished. 

I get that it was tough going for a lot of folk, but in my experience "ridiculous water queues" is a tad inaccurate and unfair. I've never drunk so much water in my life, and never waited more than a minute.

6 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I get that it was tough going for a lot of folk, but in my experience "ridiculous water queues" is a tad inaccurate and unfair. I've never drunk so much water in my life, and never waited more than a minute.

Fair enough, but there were lots of complaints about a lack of easily accessible water, so I definitely wasn’t alone.

31 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

I think the opposite.  There’s no getting away from the mud and it literally sticks around.  There is no “getting away from” the mud in a muddy year either.

The only way the sun curtailed my fun was that it lead me into making poor footwear choices which meant by Saturday night I couldn’t stand for more than 15-20 minutes without being in pain and needing to sit down.  But at least I could sit down.  Definitely and option that’s limited in muddy years.

But you can just ignore the mud and power on through it, you don’t need to get away from it and it’s unlikely to land you in the medic tent. Yes it takes a little more effort to get around but at least you can get around.

9 minutes ago, Bixer said:

Fair enough, but there were lots of complaints about a lack of easily accessible water, so I definitely wasn’t alone.

Multiple times I saw massive queues for wateraid points near longdrops which have taps and most of the time nobody using them. I pointed this out to some people queuing and they just looked at me like I was speaking Chinese or something, bizarre. I don’t think I queued for water once. You could also fill your bottle in any bar and in the left field tent.

Edited by Madyaker

Looks you’re either a mud or heat person. Personally I’d take heat any day, but I appreciate some people struggle with it more than others though.

The site seemed busier than ever to me, especially on Sunday. I remember how difficult it was to manoeuvre around in 2016, with people stuck to the metal paths moving really slowly. If you decided to cut through the mud it took a lot of effort and concentration to move through it. That would’ve been a nightmare this year.

At least with this year every bit of ground was useable, if you want to sit down you can sit down easily, I never had a problem getting water either.

I reckon though we all just have short memories, a bit like with hangovers. Of next year is a mud fest everyone will be cursing it wishing it was 30 degrees! I remember it was hot in Saturday, but I’ve already forgotten how hot it actually was and just remember the good stuff from that day.

51 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Multiple times I saw massive queues for wateraid points near longdrops which have taps and most of the time nobody using them. I pointed this out to some people queuing and they just looked at me like I was speaking Chinese or something, bizarre. I don’t think I queued for water once. You could also fill your bottle in any bar and in the left field tent.

I would have been one of those people who was unsure whether it was drinking water until my wife pointed the signs out.

why was there a giant tap in the market that said water in blue neon ...but didn’t seem to have a tap to get water?!?!

Never queued for long myself though

58 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

But you can just ignore the mud and power on through it, you don’t need to get away from it and it’s unlikely to land you in the medic tent. Yes it takes a little more effort to get around but at least you can get around.

How do you “ignore the mud”?!  And how does the sun stop you from getting around?!  Sorry but every word here is utter nonsense.  

Honestly, it wasn’t THAT hot.  30 degrees is just standard summer time temps.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

How do you “ignore the mud”?!  And how does the sun stop you from getting around?!  Sorry but every word here is utter nonsense.  

So you thought Saturday was fine and you were running around no bother? Fair play to you, you were the only one.

3 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

So you thought Saturday was fine and you were running around no bother? Fair play to you, you were the only one.

I took things a bit more chilled but it was fine.  If it had been muddy I would without doubt have done significantly less than I did across the weekend.

I’m not saying that it isn’t energy sapping but to say that it’s harder than a muddy year is quite honestly bullshit.

I managed to give myself heatstroke and took to my bed early on Friday which was very annoying. 

My own fault - I was trying to make sure I was drinking water, but clearly didn't drink enough. 

Spent Saturday day under a makeshift shelter at the tent, so missed bumbling but not too many bands - once the edge had gone out of the sun just after 4, I was, thankfully, back on my feet. 

However,

I have reserved a special place in hell for the two girls that hogged one of the South Park water taps for well over 10 mins on Saturday at noon, so they could wash their hair. 

18 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

Don't really think a comment like that is necessary, just about everyone I spoke to thought it was baking and restricted their day somewhat, also people deal/not deal with cold or hot temps in different ways, not everyone is like you obviously ! And 30 degrees in NOT standard summer temps in the UK, though that is what the future holds in terms of climate change.

The average summer temp in London is around 20 degrees !!!

Edited by Aragorn

4 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Don't really think a comment like that is necessary, just about everyone I spoke to thought it was baking and restricted their day somewhat, also people deal/not deal with cold or hot temps in different ways, not everyone is like you obviously ! And 30 degrees in NOT standard summer temps in the UK, though that is what the future holds in terms of climate change.

30 degrees was pretty much to be expected at some point in the summer when I was a kid and that was 30 years ago.

Yes the heat can be restricting but significantly less so than the mud.  That’s the point I’m trying to make.  I’m baffled that anyone genuinely thinks 2007 / 2016 weather was easier than 2019.  I genuinely cannot fathom that out.

Edited by ICGenie

1 minute ago, ICGenie said:

30 degrees was pretty much to be expected at some point in the summer when I was a kid and that was 30 years ago.

Apologies if I come across as aggressive but I’m baffled that anyone genuinely thinks 2007 / 2016 weather was easier than 2019.  I genuinely cannot fathom that out.

the point being that we do not reach 30 degrees very often in this country and people are not acclimatised as such, I suffer in hot weather but can tolerate -5 or more in winter much better.