Is It Too Hot?

st dan

Is it too Hot?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Is it too Hot?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

30 degrees was pretty much to be expected at some point in the summer when I was a kid and that was 30 years ago.

Yes the heat can be restricting but significantly less so than the mud.  That’s the point I’m trying to make.  I’m baffled that anyone genuinely thinks 2007 / 2016 weather was easier than 2019.  I genuinely cannot fathom that out.

I think both are challenging and energy sapping in their own way. I personally would probably take the heat over a horror show mud year but I'd probably take a bit of rain and drizzle and a bit of mud over relentless heat. It had the same impact of restricting the choices I could make. I did very few tent sets because they were so warm!! 

I'll take the heat over the mud any year.   Both have an impact, extreme heat in particular can slow a lot of people down but for me the fact that I can sit anywhere and anywhen is the major factor.  In 2016 it was really hard for me.

I've got health problems of the older bloke variety, less than the average number of lungs and did not struggle with the heat in the slightest, taking regular shade breaks during the peak of the day and keeping sunscreen and water levels balanced.  I get that different people are affected on a different level though, many people would have found the peak of the day brutal up til Saturday.  The lineup also worked out well for me that I wasn't stood in other or pyramid for huge periods of time in the direct sun.

52 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

How do you “ignore the mud”?!  And how does the sun stop you from getting around?!  Sorry but every word here is utter nonsense.  

Honestly, it wasn’t THAT hot.  30 degrees is just standard summer time temps.

I 100% agree with this, and I'm Scottish where it's feckin freezing half the summer. In 2016 I sacked off loads as it was impossible to get between stages in time. Did not miss a single set on account of this year's weather 

Walked the car and back Saturday morning to get more booze. Got back normally have a chill but was on the verge of overheating and just couldn't cool down. Big mistakes in hindsight and after 3 days "hammer" already.

Eventually had a sleep on the path by the acoustic stage after frying watching The Proclaimers. I looked like people I have walked past and thought "Awwww they are in a mess"

All changed as soon as some cloud came appeared early Saturday evening and I was back in the game for The Chemical Brothers. Never felt like that before so voted it was too hot.

Hard one to call. Voted no as I would take that over rain every day, but I made the same mistake as I did in 2016 by not adapting a bit better. Thursday ended up largely a write off sadly, but was on track by late Friday.

I'm the worst in heat, I got heatstroke as early as Thursday. Had to spend most daytimes just sitting in the shade. Saturday was nothing short of an ordeal for me and everyone else hiding in The Woods and near the John Peel toilets. My brain wanted to play but my body couldn't. The evenings were glorious though. As hard as the mud in 2016 was, it didn't force me to miss as much as this year.

On 6/29/2019 at 3:35 PM, Northtim said:

Too hot today, Greenpeace is a welcome refuge. Nice shaded bar which isn’t that busy (so I probably shouldn’t be sharing this!), and some decent bands & dj’s.

I’d be interested to see if main stage crowds are affected. I ain’t venturing away from here until Lizzo when it will be cooler.

I spent a good 3 hours in the greenpeace bar for/after Frank Turner in one of the raised seating areas. Was glorious. Popping to West Holts for a Goan Fish curry was brutal.

6 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Multiple times I saw massive queues for wateraid points near longdrops which have taps and most of the time nobody using them. I pointed this out to some people queuing and they just looked at me like I was speaking Chinese or something, bizarre. I don’t think I queued for water once. You could also fill your bottle in any bar and in the left field tent.

My favourite was the Kiosk at the bottom of Kings Meadow.

1 bloke in the kiosk, with a massive queue for his services.

Tap on the outside of the kiosk? Untouched. Stand Pipe behind the Kiosk? Untouched. 4 sinks next to the Stand Pipe? Likewise.

6 hours ago, Bixer said:

Honestly? For Glastonbury give me mud over Friday/Saturday heat any day of the week.

With the appropriate clothing, mud and rain is fine. You can be out in it all day and still have a good time.

The heat this year was insufferable though. Taking clothes off was bad as it exposed your skin, keeping them on made you even sweatier. Basically no shade throughout the entire site and going back to your tent is like walking into a sauna. Add that to the ridiculous water queues and to be honest I wasn’t really able to enjoy Friday or Saturday at all until about 7pm, but then I was so drained from the heat that I was basically ready for bed as soon as the headliners finished. 

For me, if it's muddy/rainy I need walking boots and need to drag around water proof clothes in my backpack, and it takes forever to walk from stage to stage.

This year I slapped on some sun factor 50 and were out in the sun as much as possible. Didnt even use a hat or sunglasses. Have the greatest of tans now, and was never burnt.

In 2016 I stayed almost exclusively at John Peel because of how sticky the mud was. This weekend I visited all the stages and saw so much more.

Fascinates me how different people view these things.

8 minutes ago, incident said:

My favourite was the Kiosk at the bottom of Kings Meadow.

1 bloke in the kiosk, with a massive queue for his services.

Tap on the outside of the kiosk? Untouched. Stand Pipe behind the Kiosk? Untouched. 4 sinks next to the Stand Pipe? Likewise.

TBF I don’t think the taps on the kiosks worked when the kiosk was manned.  But agreed about the sinks not being used.  Although there did seem to be fewer of them?

For future reference the highest concentration of taps seems to be at Unfairground ?

Friend of mine got heat stroke, passed out and ended up having to go to back to London on Saturday for facial reconstruction surgery having smashed his 2 front teeth through his lips, lost 3 teeth and broke his arm. Put quite the downer on the last couple of days for everyone in our group.

10 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Friend of mine got heat stroke, passed out and ended up having to go to back to London on Saturday for facial reconstruction surgery having smashed his 2 front teeth through his lips, lost 3 teeth and broke his arm. Put quite the downer on the last couple of days for everyone in our group.

Christ almighty, did he fall off the end of the pier?? Hope he's recovering ok

19 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

TBF I don’t think the taps on the kiosks worked when the kiosk was manned.  But agreed about the sinks not being used.  Although there did seem to be fewer of them?

For future reference the highest concentration of taps seems to be at Unfairground ?

Some of those taps worked; others didn’t. I filled up while everyone else queued near John Peel on Saturday before She Drew The Gun and did the same during Mac DeMarco on the Other.

I'm in quite a unique situation as my husband is in a wheelchair, which obv makes mud a pain in the arse, and part of his disability means his body can't regulate his temperature, so he doesn't sweat. He's essentially a boil in the bag when it gets hot. We both agreed we'd take this year over 2016 because you do at least get some respite from the heat when the sun dies down.. Mud just gets more and more exhausting. We still couldn't wander around as much this year, but did far more than any muddy year.

I saw some terrible sun stroke victims this year, though, I'm sure they'll think differently!

Saturday felt hotter than the Wednesday of 2017 or any of 2010 (although the latter could just be the passage of time). I think it felt so hot because I was determined to still see everything I wanted to even if that did mean watching Johnny Marr from sitting just inside the Shisha tent. The hottest was inside Avalon Inn when we went to get a drink just before Beans on Toast. The sweat was literally dripping down my arms. 

You know it's hot when you realise you haven't had a pee for over 12 hours despite drinking loads. I'd still take the weather we just had over 2016 although that doesn't mean it wasn't a struggle

.... and from a vanity point of view - I've not long had my hair cut short. I looked absolutely ridiculous in a hat! ?

The one benefit of this year was that you didn’t need to go to a shower, you could just pour cold water over your head with a bit of shampoo and essentially achieve the same effect - drying off in a matter of minutes. 

It didn’t last too long obviously, but that did really help me to at least start the day feeling fresh. 

I found it tolerable and quite pleasant on Thursday and Friday mainly due to the brisk breeze but Saturday was a different kettle of fish. The tent was like an oven at 7-8am so bugger all sleep to begin with but then finding some shade to doze in was an absolute nightmare. We thought we'd head to the John Peel tree area only to find several hundred others jammed in like sardines - we ended up collapsing at the side of a road as it was the only vaguely shaded area available.

It was certainly preferable to 2016 but there were certain times where it was simply unbearable with no way to just battle through it like you can with mud.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Christ almighty, did he fall off the end of the pier?? Hope he's recovering ok

Just completely face planted the walkway at the back of the West Holts stage, he's doing ok now, had surgery yesterday so now just waiting for some fake teeth to get fitted, poor fucker.

I really struggled in the heat on Friday, went to watch Sheryl Crow and by the end I couldn't leave quick enough to find some shade, and collapsed by that red tent near Ped gate C for a couple of hours. 

Saturday was even worse, I'd worked a late shift Friday night on a bar (bed at 6am) and so was tired and then only got 2-3 hours sleep, heat drove me out of the tent then I struggled to find any shade on site, ended up lying down near the entrance to the Stone Circle from Greenfields till it was cool enough to venture back out.  

Had to wait until nearly 4.30pm before heading out back to the Pyramid. 

Sunday was fine although it got quite hot during Kylie, was fine apart from that. 

It was definitely too hot, especially as we got 3 days of quite high temperatures and that took it's toll on me by Sunday.  I will definitely prepare better next time for such heat, eating more wisely, applying sun cream a lot more and taking on more water, I think they were my downfall.

On another note a girl passed out just in front of us at Kylie, not knowing what had really happened as we just heard a thud when she hit the ground I feared the worst.  I ended up barging past a lot of people, knocking a lot of drinks over, to get to the viewing platform at the back of the field to get security.  We pushed our way through to get back to her and fotunately she was just coming round and had just passed out.

Apologies if I barged you or knocked your drinks over.