Water Aid Kiosk and refill points

Jimmyjam1

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t think I’ve ever drank so much water in one weekend. Whenever we passed a tap or kiosk I always stopped to refill my bottle.

So many people tipping their old water on the ground though - before getting a refill.  It was great there were so many places to get water from, I only queued once and that was bottom of pyramid and that moved quickly, but people dumping water so they could have 'fresh' stuff seemed a bit off to me.

Most of those WaterAid taps next to the booths apparently got turned off during the day (but back on when the booths closed) after they caused mud to form around people on Wednesday according to one booth operator I spoke with on Thursday. So that will be one queue reason.

That being said, I did still see big queues at some booths when there were free sink taps close by. Weird isn't it.

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

So many people tipping their old water on the ground though - before getting a refill.  It was great there were so many places to get water from, I only queued once and that was bottom of pyramid and that moved quickly, but people dumping water so they could have 'fresh' stuff seemed a bit off to me.

I just downed mine when necessary.

3 minutes ago, p.pete said:

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I just downed mine when necessary.

I made a point of topping up every time I passed a tap without queues, so invariably there was always water in there. Even the Water Aid guys in the kiosks asked if i wanted it tipped away! Just asked them to top up.

It's wet and not rum, so I really couldn't give a shit! :lol:

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The obvious downside is that I was constantly in the urinals.

Ditto, but I'm happy with that payoff. I spent the weekend gauging it on the colour of my piss, and it never dropped into what I'd class as an unacceptable shade. Except when I overdid the Refreshers vodka,  but I put that down to E numbers :lol:

I walked past two girls on Saturday evening having a massive strop because the Water Aid kiosk was closed and where the fuck were they supposed to get water now and does the festival expect them to be OK with no water. A bloke tapped one of them on the shoulder and silently pointed to the tap on the front of the kiosk AND THE SIGN SAYING 'PLEASE USE THIS TAP'. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ManchesterGlasto said:

Honestly it beggars belief. Some people are just too self involved. 

Sure it can feel a bit minging not showering but plenty of people round the world don’t own a shower. I just suck it up and get on with it. I’d rather stay hydrated than clean anyway.

Unfortunately, these people were plentiful this year.  My Fri night shift was outside PGB on the way to Highlands Farm, Lovefields and Winding Lake and the amount of people that were moaning about the distance they had to walk when they have paid so much the be there

I thought the water facilities were excellent. Not gonna lie in past years I've spent a small fortunes at ice cream vans on bottled water but this time I took two of my own reusable bottles and didn't buy a single can of water. Fantastic system

I never went without free water. There were taps and booths all over the place. Thank you WaterAid and festival organisers. You all did a fantastic job with this!

5 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

This and they were all thoroughly lovely too

Totally, I was camped by the one by Lulu's cafe and all the staff were fantastically friendly despite being worked flat out in a hot wooden shed! 

Both my mum and my mother-in-law have asked if we could get enough water, and I can only assume that it was widely reported there was a shortage in the Daily Mail or something?

I queued for the WaterAid kiosk of a morning round the campsite but we didn't seem to have any taps there (Bushy) and it was quite a nice spot to queue as fully in the shade. I assumed the tap on the outside was just for night time - otherwise I would have used that.

During the day, though, there was no way I was queuing for water. We would just wait until the next available opportunity without a queue. The bars were great for this and I would often fill up a bottle of water while buying a pint (particularly handy when they put jugs of water on the bar).

Thank god for the water aid points! I’ve never even noticed them before now because water rarely passes my lips at a festival. Big thanks to the guys up at the park on Sunday too. I somehow fell in the only patch of mud I saw all weekend outside Stonebridge and the water aid people gave me cloths to clean down with and switched the outside tap on for me even though they were just about to shut down. 

While I'm ranting about the bogs, can we also get some common sense about taps in the mornings?

Honestly have no idea what goes through the head of some festivalgoers. 5 min long queues for taps and people hogging one to clean their teeth or wash their hair. How tough is it to work out you can just pick up two bottles from the floor, fill them up and do it at the side then put them in a bin where they should have been rather than monopolise the water supply for ages?

46 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Both my mum and my mother-in-law have asked if we could get enough water, and I can only assume that it was widely reported there was a shortage in the Daily Mail or something?

I queued for the WaterAid kiosk of a morning round the campsite but we didn't seem to have any taps there (Bushy) and it was quite a nice spot to queue as fully in the shade. I assumed the tap on the outside was just for night time - otherwise I would have used that.

During the day, though, there was no way I was queuing for water. We would just wait until the next available opportunity without a queue. The bars were great for this and I would often fill up a bottle of water while buying a pint (particularly handy when they put jugs of water on the bar).

I found the ones to the unfairground were nearly always quiet during the day. Infact on Saturday when the heat was at its worst I sat by the fence for an hour or so just drinking about 10 gallons of the stuff. 

A couple of times people warned me that the taps by the long drops weren't drinking water whilst I was filling up my bottle, which would possibly explain some of the longer queues at the water aid points. Glasto did start sending notifications out saying all taps were drinking water though, which probably helped in the end

3 minutes ago, Laurenkfj said:

A couple of times people warned me that the taps by the long drops weren't drinking water whilst I was filling up my bottle, which would possibly explain some of the longer queues at the water aid points. Glasto did start sending notifications out saying all taps were drinking water though, which probably helped in the end

Up in Darble there was a tap and a sink next to it. I queued 35 mins for water and it was only when I got to the front of the queue I realised no one was using the sink so I shouted up and asked. Some fella asked if it was cold water, another asked if it was drinking water. So it seems some thought it was for washing up and others had been told its not drinkable ??‍♀️

1 hour ago, tumbles said:

Totally, I was camped by the one by Lulu's cafe and all the staff were fantastically friendly despite being worked flat out in a hot wooden shed! 

3 hours ago, tumbles said:

Got to hand it to the water aid staff though, they all worked their arses off. 

Thanks for the thanks.  I was on Loo crew and it was actually not too bad apart from the 6am shift on Saturday morning which i would deffo like to "unsee".

We got some grief from people but again it was mostly completely irrational stuff and a bizarre level of expectation for a farm in Somerset hosting 200 thousand people in 30 plus degree heat.

The queues in Rivermead for both loos and taps were quite long in the mornings so I just strolled to the loos in Silver Hayes and walked straight in!  I would much rather walk than queue.   I did remonstrate with one guy in a friendly way who was having a full wash and teeth clean and said he should just get his water and go.  

44 minutes ago, Laurenkfj said:

I don't understand why would they think a specific tap wouldn't be drinking water.. It's tough enough to maintain one temporary water network at a festival like this (just think of the logistics involved), there's no chance they're going to maintain two separate systems for drinking and non drinking water.