IICON

Matt42

As someone who is not there this year the IICON stage is not helping with the jealousy.

hopefully this proper techno stage at glasto will tempt some big DJ hitters to finally play the festival. Villalobos, Kraviz etc all have no excuse not to play now!

anyone who went last night how was it?

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

As someone who is not there this year the IICON stage is not helping with the jealousy.

hopefully this proper techno stage at glasto will tempt some big DJ hitters to finally play the festival. Villalobos, Kraviz etc all have no excuse not to play now!

I went along to see what the sound was like last night. All there's a series of speakers, front - middle - back that all face in towards the crowd. There's multiple lighting rigs with strobes high around the outside also, makes got quite the sound and experience. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They are all at Awakenings and from what I've heard of the technocrat do play, they slow the set down for the more diverse Glastonbury crowds. Hopefully not the case if it's a dedicated area. 

I had a good chat with a couple of the bar crew there on Sat/Sun (possible because there was hardly anyone else at the bar) and they said they’d been warned that it was going to be absolutely rammed and that they should prepare accordingly. So they were surprised to see it much less crowded than expected and asked me why I thought it might be (as if I’d know!). 

I told them that I thought it looked amazing and it’s the first thing many people see who venture into the SE Corner, but the vibe isn’t there. A lot of that was in the music. With respect to the DJ’s, there weren’t any widely known names that may have pulled crowds in, and the music being played wasn’t terribly accessible. So people arrived, took a look, then moved on to stalwart venues like the Temple and Shangri La. IICON wasn’t something people really swung back around to catch up with. 

It was busy for hessle audio on Saturday night. Tempted to say that a lot of people were absolutely exhausted from the heat - so those who would usually stick their head into SEC for an hour or two after headliners. 

Have to say, it’s an absolutely class stage and hope they don’t change anything for next year (maybe bar the sound). 

I absolutely loved it, the whole thing was very impressive. But yeah, it never really seemed to get going in terms of audience numbers. Just meant I had more room to dance like a twat.

Hope it's back next year but I assume they'll need to do something to draw more people to it.

I think it’s far too big and is always going to struggle to get an atmosphere. Split the field into 2 stages and it would be much better. I thought the sound was fine on Thursday and Friday but didn’t go back after that.

It clearly helped congestion issues in the SE but far more work needed for next year or I doubt I’ll go out of my way to return.

not on topic but I also thought Pangea was disappointing, just a massive spinning crane and very quiet (although Arcadia always had that issue)

i still had the most wonderful weekend and pray for tickets next year in October but I think most of the new additions this year (the pier included) were all a bit of a miss. I do agree the new cave was a great little addition and had a proper party atmosphere the night we were in there 

Thought Karenn was fantastic last night, and the light show is unreal. I agree there were less there than I expected a lot of the time, but as long as that doesn't stop them persisting with the stage and the types of acts on it I see that as a good thing - easy to dance and find your mates. Didn't have any issues with the sound myself.

Kraviz NEEDS to happen.

Looked great but the times I went by it, it was playing heavy jungle music or some other hardcore like genre I can't describe.

When venues like The Temple, Downlow and the likes of Gas Works in Shangri la have more bigger established acts on, I think people where just stopping for a look then moving on to takes the chanes with other venues.

The initial approach to it is mind blowing, but as others said there wasn’t much of a vibe. Probably too much space for it and I really missed the Common venues that have gone as a result of it. Those smaller little spaces were much more intimate and exciting. Likewise, wasn’t as impressed with Shangri-La as the run before the fallow year. I used to love the old hell stage, that hasn’t been there for a while and all the small, artsy stuff seemed a little thin this year. Maybe I just didn’t find those things like swap shop and the galleries, London Underground carriage. The CNN news place was a highlight though. 

Hopefully in the long run the teething issues will be sorted out because this really does have potential. A stage big enough to put some real big techno hitters on there.

Seriously glasto. Try for Kraviz.

or failing that call up Ben klock. He’s done it before

3 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Amazing venue and great sound. Easy to get a drink, easy to go the toilet, room to dance and you can even have a sit down if you’re tired. Do not change this venue. The crowds will come. 

This ✌️