Tent theft - look out!

MJP

Hi all

Campsite crew just warned us that elsewhere on site there’s been some opportunistic theft of phones and cash.

Apparently thieves are dazzling people with bright torches before stealing from right next to them.

Make sure you use lock ups for cash and hide your phone while you sleep. 

I think we were one of the first to report this at about 5am as they didn’t know anything. Came into our tent, took my girlfriends bag, she got up and followed the trail of 1/2 open tents, found her bag and about 4/5 others dumped.

Didn't take anyone’s phones, just cash which is something I suppose. We went and got someone from left luggage (closest place to us) and rounded up with her what we could. 

This was over by oxylers, everything we found is now in their lost property. So if you’ve heard of anyone in a similar situation I’d check there before cancelling cards/phone etc. As they were literally just after cash.

As a positive my gf isn’t paid till today so only brought £30 in cash with her, after a few drinks last night and a pizza on the way home she probably had about £3.20 left in there ? hope it was worth it 

1 hour ago, MJP said:

Hi all

Campsite crew just warned us that elsewhere on site there’s been some opportunistic theft of phones and cash.

Apparently thieves are dazzling people with bright torches before stealing from right next to them.

Make sure you use lock ups for cash and hide your phone while you sleep. 

This. We're a free service, and we are open round the clock. 

Edit: and you can put your phone, keys, bicycle (honest) etc in too! 

Edited by deepkittycaz
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Not really. He's pointing out that it's pre-meditated. Quite an important distinction.

Not sure it matters either way but hope the message for people to take care and use the lock ups is helpful.

5 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

This. We're a free service, and we are open round the clock. 

Edit: and you can put your phone, keys, bicycle (honest) etc in too! 

Thanks for all you do. It's a great service. (peeps, make a donation if you use them).

• Like 1

what type of see you next Tuesday spends a Sunday morning refreshing like mad, gets tickets and then decides to spend the festival thieving from fellow party people?

or am I being naive and these scumbags are fence jumpers who just prey on the festival?

or even worse are scumbags who use the volunteer system to prey on the festival?

3 minutes ago, Smeble said:

what type of see you next Tuesday spends a Sunday morning refreshing like mad, gets tickets and then decides to spend the festival thieving from fellow party people?

or am I being naive and these scumbags are fence jumpers who just prey on the festival?

or even worse are scumbags who use the volunteer system to prey on the festival?

I would suspect a mix. Thieves are thieves and they care none about anyone else.

One year we were suspicious of two volunteers patrolling Bushey. There was just something about them.

Another year there was a guy standing outside the school disco tent, between the glade and west holt iirc, giving little kids bags of pills to sell off. There are certainly organised crime gangs within the fence only there to make money.

Stay safe

15 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I would suspect a mix. Thieves are thieves and they care none about anyone else.

One year we were suspicious of two volunteers patrolling Bushey. There was just something about them.

Another year there was a guy standing outside the school disco tent, between the glade and west holt iirc, giving little kids bags of pills to sell off. There are certainly organised crime gangs within the fence only there to make money.

Stay safe

Depressing isn’t it, makes you wonder how many golden tickets get bought by organised crime groups who go just to rob and sell drugs

18 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Depressing isn’t it, makes you wonder how many golden tickets get bought by organised crime groups who go just to rob and sell drugs

Quite a few.. they will make a killing  and always do ... sadly it's how some  gutter snipes live unfortunately 

5 hours ago, Benja100 said:

They are different crimes, I’m not talking semantics, I’m pointing out that it is a lot more serious than theft. Robbery is more traumatic to the victim and more serious

I might quote some of these examples next time Worthy View etc gets a slagging off as being for poshos etc 

First time at worthy  view tents were robbed with the - oh sorry tent- story. Didnt help that all tents are the same and not everyone is,geared up for tossers at Glastonbury. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Deneva48 said:

All money is kept inside sleeping bag at night. Just take old pay as you mobile to any Festival we are at. Besides the robbery, it’s worrying with all the knife and violent around, never seen much trouble at Glastonbury, but it only take one idiot.

If they're robbing tents they will 100% have knives (or they're idiots frankly) so caution is needed!

11 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I'm surprised we don't hear any stories of these scumbags getting caught in the act. It's as if they are doing it at will with no worry in the world.

Thing is with such a big festival and volunteers manning most places they aren't equipped to approach , and quite frankly I wouldn't either under the circumstances.

All we can do is make it not so easy for them to do it