Tent theft - look out!

MJP

4 minutes ago, jalien01 said:

I wouldn’t worry too much I’ve been going for 15 years and never had anything stolen. I hide anything valuable including booze under the tent ground sheet. Thefts are now fairly rare. But as said above anything you are really worried about use the lockups. They are free. 

Thanks for the tip - only have a small tent so not sure can fit booze under the ground sheet... I will def be using the lock ups though!

6 minutes ago, jalien01 said:

I wouldn’t worry too much I’ve been going for 15 years and never had anything stolen. I hide anything valuable including booze under the tent ground sheet. Thefts are now fairly rare. But as said above anything you are really worried about use the lockups. They are free. 

Remember to tip the lockups at some point over the weekend - they are brilliant

• Like 1

I’ve never understood why there isn’t a bigger security presence and/or patrols through oxlyers and the bottom of park home on the Wednesday and Thursday nights, it’s always the same areas that get done. 
It shouldn’t be hard to spot them going from tent to tent. 
Unless the security are in on it themselves. 

43 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

The lock ups, I presume they give you a ticket which must not be lost? 

41 minutes ago, curlylocks88 said:

I have heard it is done on security questions like postcode, name, signature etc... but some one else might be able to verify as haven't been before 🙂

It's both, to ensure that if you lose your ticket & someone else finds it, they can't just claim your stuff!

We camped close to some wrong'uns in 2019 in a normally quiet, outlying field.  Security made a number of visits to their camp over the course of the festival but eventually caught them on Sunday morning when one of the lads started robbing from people around him.   As people were flaked out infront of their tent, sleeping off the night before he was literally picking up phones from next to them.  Eventually there was a chase across the campsite and the scumbag was caught and security kicked out the whole group.
This is the 1st time I have seen theft in action in 20 years at Glastonbury.  Message from me, keep your valuables safe, keep your wits about you, but don't be paranoid about it otherwise you'll have a shit festival.

2 minutes ago, bexj said:

We camped close to some wrong'uns in 2019 in a normally quiet, outlying field.  Security made a number of visits to their camp over the course of the festival but eventually caught them on Sunday morning when one of the lads started robbing from people around him.   As people were flaked out infront of their tent, sleeping off the night before he was literally picking up phones from next to them.  Eventually there was a chase across the campsite and the scumbag was caught and security kicked out the whole group.
This is the 1st time I have seen theft in action in 20 years at Glastonbury.  Message from me, keep your valuables safe, keep your wits about you, but don't be paranoid about it otherwise you'll have a shit festival.

Was this in back house? Guy slashed my mates tent amongst others and was chased and ruby tackled to the ground then everyone chanted ' shame shame shame ' as he was led out by the police lol 

2 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

Was this in back house? Guy slashed my mates tent amongst others and was chased and ruby tackled to the ground then everyone chanted ' shame shame shame ' as he was led out by the police lol 

Yep 😞

1 hour ago, curlylocks88 said:

Hi, it is my first glasto and I am not taking much cash and will use lock ups for valuables... do people use the lock ups for their big bags of clothes and cool boxes of booze etc? I am worried about being robbed 😞

You can put anything you want in there. I used to put at least half of my cans in a bag and book them in on the Wed so that if I did get turned over, it wouldn't stop the party. First 2 nights are always the worst for thefts. Make sure you scatter any cans loose around your tent rather than leaving them as an easy grab in the shrink wrap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curlylocks88 said:

Thanks for the tip - only have a small tent so not sure can fit booze under the ground sheet... I will def be using the lock ups though!

This is my 29th time, I've never had anything nicked, the things I've lost have only been down to idiocy where I've left them out by the fire overnight (back when that was a thing 🙂 )

Last decade I've been in a camper or caravan, so obviously the risk there is very small anyway.

But when I was in a tent I didn't even bother with lock ups, so you're already being far more sensible than I was, other than that just keep your phone somewhere safe.  I'd be shocked if you had any issue with clothes or booze.

2 hours ago, buffy394 said:

Haha yeah I woke up to this lad tripping over my tent during the chase and landing on my mates… was quite the wake up and the only thing I’ve ever seen of it’s kind in 6 years, security definitely “got him”

in fairness it was better than any alarm.

Edited by mjfiddy

5 hours ago, curlylocks88 said:

Hi, it is my first glasto and I am not taking much cash and will use lock ups for valuables... do people use the lock ups for their big bags of clothes and cool boxes of booze etc? I am worried about being robbed 😞

Similar to this post, it's my first Glasto. I will definitely be using the lock ups for valuables but my question is what valuables should I be bringing and what should I leave at home? And do valuables go into the lock ups when you're asleep as well as away from the tent?

I had my wallet nicked in 2000 - bastard literally dragged a comatose me out of the tent by my feet and took the wallet from my pocket. Woke up in a daze and they were gone before I knew what was happening. It was a different festival back then though - and 2000 was infamous for the amount of nobheads who attended!

Never had anything nicked since (touches wood) but I do use the lockups for the odd thing here and there - I always put my sack truck in once everything's in just to get it out of the way.

As others have said you get a ticket which you keep safe and they'll ask you a question that isn't on the ticket when you go to collect to verify someone hasn't just found your ticket. I always take a photo of the ticket as backup too but never managed to loose on yet!  Oh, and the lockups have free bog roll too which is always good to know 😉 

2 minutes ago, Beeswing said:

First timer & staying in Podpad in Sticklinch. Will have passport with me & need it to get home on Monday.

Any idea is there locks on Podpads? 

Other than that, for storing passport - just hide it in my bag somewhere I guess?

Afraid these are brand new to the festival so no clue 😄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beeswing said:

First timer & staying in Podpad in Sticklinch. Will have passport with me & need it to get home on Monday.

Other than that, for storing passport - just hide it in my bag somewhere I guess?

I'd use the lockups on site for passports.

• Like 1

Lockups for me:

• Car keys
  • "Main" wallet with cash, driving licence etc and most of my cards.
  • If you're planning on using a festival or burner phone, I'd put my main one in there as well.
  • Power bank is optional if you're not comfy leaving it in your tent.

I then have a day wallet on a chain with enough cash for the day and one card that I can cancel easy enough.

Optional / additional lockup use:

• Daybag if I'm heading into a heavy set that I know I'm going to want to get properly into and mosh / surf. Think of it as the equivalent of your mum holding your bag when you go on a rollercoaster.
  • Dotted stashes of booze at key lockup sites around the fest (never bothered with this one myself)
  • Hoody if it's warm but I know I'll want it later and can't be arsed to go back to the tent

Tips:

• Always take a photo of your ticket or save the number if you don't have a camera on your phone.
  • If you've got a mate / mates then text them the number as well so you've got a backup option.
  • Don't lose the damn ticket in the first place.
  • Tip every time you drop or withdraw. 50p or £1 is spot on I think, and always be nice!
  • Leave your tent a mess. Everything nicely ordered just makes it easier for someone to grab what they want. Leave your tent looking like TX Maxx rather than H&M.
  • If you're worried about some of the horror stories of people taking stuff while you sleep, have a lanyard or something that you can attach to your phone / wallet and attach it to your wrist and keep it inside the sleeping bag.
  • Ultimately, try not to take anything that you're really really worried about losing. Wedding ring will be left at home, which always raises an eyebrow on Mrs Q, but that's genuinely the only thing that would break me if I lost it.

Should after all this that the only thing I have lost at Glastonbury in 7 visits is my phone, and that was entirely my own fault for dropping it. Never had anything taken from my tent. You'll be fine!

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

For would be alcohol thieves I have a large bottle of slightly cloudy pale cider in my tent. 

Feel free to have as much of that as you want. 

Think someone sold me some of that last year. Had some nose to it.

3 hours ago, Beeswing said:

They removed the page when they sold out, but if you look at the archive it says they're lockable - I believe they supply a lock.

http://web.archive.org/web/20200922060622/https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/pre-erected-camping/sticklinch/sticklinch-accommodation-options/

@MJP I don't believe it's that they're new this year.  I believe they had some third party ones previously and perhaps some at WV too?  It's the provision at Sticklinch which is new.

I think this is the company that do them, but note that's their fancier versions hence the inclusion of electricity and much higher prices.

https://podpads.com/glastonbury-hospitality-campsite

Edited by clarkete
  • Thanks 1