What are you all doing to cope with not going ??

babyblade41

37 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Had to go though Waterloo this morning and saw loads of people heading down :( 

I didn’t think I’d miss it as much as I do, the problem for me is that none of  my friends go anymore, went completely alone in 17 and had a good time but it was also hard being on my own at times, I really missed not sharing the special moments with people  

Yes. I know many people go on their own, and I have contemplated it myself. But it is those shared moments with close friends that make it really special and unforgettable. Not the same otherwise.

Come on guys, I cannot be the only one who absolutely hates all the noobs being there (they don't deserve it!) and is praying for a freak storm to hit the site and wash the entire thing out?! 

Please tell me I am not the only one this petty??!! 

A brief history of my missed Glasto's: 

2015 - The first time I had missed a festival having tried to get a ticket... This year was not only a good one weather wise, but as well as that all of my friends were there! I mean all of them! Of our group of 20 or so mates, it was quite literally me and my (then) GF who did not get them! I have to be honest, that was a genuinely miserable period of time.. I felt awful! We ended up getting a last minute flight to Spain to escape the misery.. That worked to a fashion, but then (and you probably won't believe me when I say this!!) but we actually flew over the festival on our way back to Bristol airport! I sh!t you not! We left the country to escape the bloody thing and ended up flying directly above the f!!king Who closing the festival!!!!!!!!!!!

2016 - Again missed out on tickets, but this time so did all of my mates with the exception of 2.. A pal and his better half.. I figured that as I only really knew one person down at the farm I would not miss it so much and certainly would not feel as bad as I did in 2015! Well, to a fashion this was about right, but if I am being honest with you, I think that was way more to do with the weather. You may recall that 2016 was a bit of a washout and that coupled with me not really knowing anyone there meant I didn't miss it too much,, 

2017 - The return! For the first time in 3 years I got a ticket!! I honestly felt like Charlie finding that golden ticket! Not only that, but a nice big gang of us all got them including my (by now) wife and a fair few of my closest mates! The weather in 2017 was of course absolutely perfect as well, the lineup also very very good and all in all it was just a wonderful festival and it felt so good to be back at my spiritual home! 

2019 - So then... here we are..... Well, just like in 2016 only one of my mates (the same one as 2016 actually) and his partner got tickets with the rest of us unsuccessful yet again.. 'No matter' I thought, ' in 2016 you didn't miss it too much in the same circumstances' I kept reassuring myself...Well what I had not counted on was the weather being as perfect as it is! I am not going to lie, I have found the last two days pretty tough! The thought of being sat up on that hill with a cold(ish) beer watching that wonderful festival happen in front of me whilst I unwind and forget all about the real world outside of those walls is making me very blue! All I have really done is look at social media and this forum for the last two days just to see what is unravelling down at the farm and let's be honest, that is never going to help is it?! 

I am still undecided on how I will play things when the music starts.. Part of me thinks 'suck it up you big wimp and stick the telly on! You can at least pretend you are there!!'. But a much larger of me thinks I would be better off simply pretending it is not happening at all. 

Please do forgive my bleating on... But at least we are all in the same boat as it were... 

See you all in 2020!

I'll be watching and following updates. I'm gutted not being there but have one of my best friends wedding on Saturday, so I would have probably had to come back for that anyway.

Having missed out for the last 3, I was secretly hoping for bad weather this year just so it would put lots of people off going for tickets next year (hopefully). With the weather being so nice even more will be trying in October!

Praying to the ticket gods to be kind to me.

1 hour ago, Stone_Love said:

I feel like a bad person. I cant wait to celebrate her birthday tomorrow. I really wanted to take my daughter Lucy with me. We could have got tickets in our group. But my mrs said no! (Which has made me resent her this weekend. Especially when she said shes sick of me talking about Glastonbury already). I talk about it every day. 

Try for tickets and take her next year. She’ll love it. Will be easier to take her too while she’s still in nappies and happy to kip in a pushchair! 

Having been a visitor since the late 90's i did not really try for a ticket this year.

Yes there are pangs of regret , but then a few things rile me

I loved Bearded Theory

Bearded Theory only charge £4.00 a pint or so for real ale , come on Glastonbury it should not be £6

I think a lot people there just seem to want to have their picture taken 

1 hour ago, Nickyboy said:

I made a conscious decision not to go to Glastonbury again after my 10th in 2016.  Trying out alternative festivals before I finally hang up my festival wellies (I'm 61 this year - Bluedot last year, Latitude and maybe EOTR this).  I still get the odd pang of wishing I was there despite that, and I cannot keep away from the forums, hence my reply today.

I made the mistake of watching some coverage on the red button in 2017....I think it was Julia Jacklin into Lisa Hannigan at the Park (or vice versa).  What really got me was the 'gap' between the 2 acts:  the people walking past / milling about / chatting and waiting for the next act to start.  Very very evocative........best to be avoided

We were sat in the Park watching those 2 sets, it was all very chilled and people sat around enjoying the sets in the sun... really loved that afternoon :) 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I actually  prefer going on my own now... many moons ago it was a group thing but I always was the one fitting in with someone else.

Now I can wander where I want, stop when I want and inevitably talk to random strangers 

Although going in a group, due to differing musical tastes i often ended up on my own , and then ended up at the Stone Circle which was not good for me .  Well yes i had a bloody good time , but oh lord did i suffer the consequences when back into the real world.

O

I'm really struggling with not being there!

I had to travel from London to Bristol on Wed morning and seeing everyone with backpacks at Paddington was a nightmare. 

I feel a wee bit sick every time I think of where I should be at this exact point in time!

Ho hum - roll on October for the 2020 sales!

2 hours ago, Blueberry said:

Try for tickets and take her next year. She’ll love it. Will be easier to take her too while she’s still in nappies and happy to kip in a pushchair! 

I'd love to mate but my mrs is dead against it. I would have done so this year had she said yes.

My mates have all gone and my space in our ticket group wasnt taken up!

13 minutes ago, Stone_Love said:

I'd love to mate but my mrs is dead against it. I would have done so this year had she said yes.

My mates have all gone and my space in our ticket group wasnt taken up!

I know lots who take children, this festival is probably more child friendly than any other out there.

What will happen next year ??

2 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I know lots who take children, this festival is probably more child friendly than any other out there.

What will happen next year ??

I've told my Mrs that it's super family friendly. I've been every year since 2003.

If she wont budge, fortunately next year is a leap year. Lucy's birthday would fall on a Sunday.  So I'm going to go Wednesday-Saturday. And leave at midnight on Saturday. I'm in Birmingham so could be home for 3am ish. 

11 minutes ago, Stone_Love said:

I've told my Mrs that it's super family friendly. I've been every year since 2003.

If she wont budge, fortunately next year is a leap year. Lucy's birthday would fall on a Sunday.  So I'm going to go Wednesday-Saturday. And leave at midnight on Saturday. I'm in Birmingham so could be home for 3am ish. 

Excellent compromise... win win   and to put into context your daughter comes way above anything... but do understand the feeling when you miss out .

Have an awesome birthday party  and so pleased you have great weather for it... it will be a different fun..and they do go to bed !!

4 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

We were sat in the Park watching those 2 sets, it was all very chilled and people sat around enjoying the sets in the sun... really loved that afternoon :) 

I was there for Julia Jacklin - beautiful set that epitomised what 2017 was about for me, of the 5 festivals I’ve been to since 2013, the best.

It’s lovely to see so many having the time of their lives so far and I’ve had Worthy FM on which has featured loads of good acts generally circulating the smaller stages today. Will have the coverage on over the weekend and coping periodically with the gut wrenching feeling of not being there. When you know what the atmosphere’s like and how it makes you feel, it’s a drug you want more of. In these shitty times with the country at each other’s throats, Glastonbury is always a shot in the arm which affirms there are many great people in the world and what people can amount to together - that’s the biggest shitter about missing out this year (or any year).

1 hour ago, babyblade41 said:

Excellent compromise... win win   and to put into context your daughter comes way above anything... but do understand the feeling when you miss out .

Have an awesome birthday party  and so pleased you have great weather for it... it will be a different fun..and they do go to bed !!

Cheers mate.  If I miss out in October I'm going to look at volunteering. Hopefully a charity would let me volunteer on the Wedneday-Saturday thus allowing me to complete all of my shifts.

I hope you are successful in 2020 and we can have a pint of cider somewhere lovely! 

12 minutes ago, Stone_Love said:

Cheers mate.  If I miss out in October I'm going to look at volunteering. Hopefully a charity would let me volunteer on the Wedneday-Saturday thus allowing me to complete all of my shifts.

I hope you are successful in 2020 and we can have a pint of cider somewhere lovely! 

and to you... we'll get there and this time next year will be on the other side of the fence 

• Upvote 1

It's an absolutely perfect day and it would be amazing to have spent it at Glastonbury. I feel sad to be missing out but I'm ok with it.

Will feel much better next week once we are all back in the same boat again but I don't feel bitter, hope everyone there has an amazing weekend and dearly hope I will have tickets to enjoy it as well in 2020.

32 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

It's an absolutely perfect day and it would be amazing to have spent it at Glastonbury. I feel sad to be missing out but I'm ok with it.

Will feel much better next week once we are all back in the same boat again but I don't feel bitter, hope everyone there has an amazing weekend and dearly hope I will have tickets to enjoy it as well in 2020.

yes agree.. best la vie ..and catch up next year fingers crossed 

Massive feeling of wanting to be there. It's just so incredible. I told myself that the line up is not my bag, that I've got a newborn coming in August and it'd of been too much money wasted, but I still really, REALLY, wish I was at the cider bus right now. The only other positive is all my friends thought the same and didn't bother getting tickets. It would have been a hundred times worse if they'd all still gone. 

• Upvote 1

Struggling a lot more than I thought I would - first time I've missed out on tickets. It was a bit of a mad day in work too and I couldn't help but keep thinming 'I should be at Glastonbury right now'. The talk about it on the radio every few minutes doesn't help either. I have ordered in ciders and halloumi to watch on the sofa all weekend...will this help? Or will it be torture?

I've resolved to work it next year if no luck in october. I'm not moping around again like this next year.

1 hour ago, Stone_Love said:

I’m sure someone will do. Loads of volunteering options out there. I know Oxfam offer a shift swap which might help. Or just tell your daughter her birthday is actually on the Tuesday: she’ll be too little to know!! Enjoy her party! 

22 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:
23 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Massive feeling of wanting to be there. It's just so incredible. I told myself that the line up is not my bag, that I've got a newborn coming in August and it'd of been too much money wasted, but I still really, REALLY, wish I was at the cider bus right now. The only other positive is all my friends thought the same and didn't bother getting tickets. It would have been a hundred times worse if they'd all still gone. 

Would love a trip to the cider bus too!! Congratulations on your pregnancy. I’ve a little one due in September which has prevented me from volunteering, couldn’t have done that sort of work this pregnant. Telling myself that sleeping in a tent pregnant in this heat would be naff!

30 minutes ago, Blueberry said:

Thanks and congrats too!

Yeah, Mrs Megatronic isn't liking the heatwave as it is, nevermind sleeping in a tent and walking around all day on the hard dry ground. We'll be back next year hopefully, or at least, one of us. Just need to flip a coin to see who stays at home :P

Our second time of missing out - last missed in 2015.  Decided in October after not being successful that we wouldn’t go and I was at peace with it.  The wait for the April resale in 2015 was a killer (and we weren’t successful then either) and it is difficult for us with our jobs.  We kept the days off and went on holiday in 2015 and it was a complete waste of money - spent all our time wishing we were at Glastonbury rather than enjoying the amazing place we were in.  We went the hospitality route one other time but couldn’t justify the cost this time - too many other calls on our money.  The decision was made for all the right reasons and I thought I’d be just fine.   And I was ..... until yesterday.  

If 2015 is anything to go by, I’ll start feeling better when I can watch it on iplayer and see people having an amazing time. I’ll find a person in each crowd who looks like they are having the most amazing time and I’ll decide that they got “my” ticket and that will be a good thing.  

But I’ve still started saving already for hospitality in 2020 in case October is cruel once again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2