What are you all doing to cope with not going ??

babyblade41

Come Monday when the "knuckle dragging exodus" begins we'll be sitting pretty. Unbroken bodies , sane minds and not terrified of work. Oh how I'll chuckle at the state of lucky chums. Still be insanely jealous, which i shall convert into mild bullying of broken friends. ?

It's really hard at the moment; being in work when you know so many people are having a great time. I'm hoping that it will ease off a bit once I finish work tomorrow.

We've got friends coming down and staying at ours for "Fake Glastonbury" (they missed out too). We'll be watching it all on the TV; enjoying a lot of cider. Tempted to put the tent up in the back garden and stay in that all weekend.

2 minutes ago, rob.a said:

It's really hard at the moment; being in work when you know so many people are having a great time. I'm hoping that it will ease off a bit once I finish work tomorrow.

We've got friends coming down and staying at ours for "Fake Glastonbury" (they missed out too). We'll be watching it all on the TV; enjoying a lot of cider. Tempted to put the tent up in the back garden and stay in that all weekend.

That's sort of our plan... need to air tent out anyway as Bluedot in a few weeks so might get in the zone lol

We last went in 2013, in previous years I've tended to avoid it because it gave the serious case of the missing out blues. This year we decided to try for tickets but were unfortunately unsuccessful, however I've found that I'm enjoying the build up evident on SM, it seems to capture glimpses of  the excitement of those opening days. I don't think I'll be as fussed about watching the footage ( though no doubt I will) cos what I'm hankering after most is wandering the fields and soaking it all up rather than particular performances. 

• Like 1

It’s such a strange feeling - like forgetting it’s christmas or something. This is my first missed one since being lucky enough to get tickets. I’ve told myself I’ll try to get a lot of dull stuff sorted so it feels like a productive weekend sering as I won’t match the fun. Saying that I can’t stop looking at the webcam!

1 minute ago, Jne___ said:

It’s such a strange feeling - like forgetting it’s christmas or something. This is my first missed one since being lucky enough to get tickets. I’ve told myself I’ll try to get a lot of dull stuff sorted so it feels like a productive weekend sering as I won’t match the fun. Saying that I can’t stop looking at the webcam!

agreed, webcam is a killer.  It's a bit like trying not to look when passing an accident , but morbid curiosity gets the better of you 

3 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

So when I didn't get a ticket was a bit philosophical about it all.  I suppose with age comes a sort of "oh well never mind" sort of attitude  but the past 48 hours has been pretty rubbish, especially yesterday seeing my youngest off with her crew 

My plan is to embrace it and amongst animal duties will have it on TV as much as possible .  I have another festival I have booked which  I am looking forward to but really sad not going this year 

I'm binge reading all the groups I was in last time and hearing all the exciting memories everyone is making, some great and a few having the odd issue.  I don't think anyone realises how vast it all is .  I go solo so that first time can be intimidating 

Are you going to watch it all or are you one of those avoid, avoid , avoid peeps ??

My plan too. My best Glastonbury mate -whom I have been going with for 6 years is there. I've told him to keep me in the loop and send me pictures.

I'm at home enjoying my daughters 1st birthday weekend. We have a family bbq tomorrow and I will have it on.

We're out all day on Saturday for a day at the beach but will put it on when I'm home on Saturday night.

I'm working Sunday night but will catch the close. Then it will be Monday before you know it!

• Upvote 1

I kept my booked days off work apart from yesterday as the weather is decent. Been out for a full English this morning and don't feel quite as bad as I did yesterday. 

I'll be watching over the weekend while I'm at home but I'm out Saturday night and have a BBQ Sunday. The line up isn't massively doing it for me really but as always the main bit is the whole experience for me, and with the great weather is way worse. 

Will be watching from mid afternoon tomorrow with a few beers. 

I've got Truck and hopefully end of the road to look forward to later in the summer. And this time next week we'll all be back in the same Glastonbury situation ?

7 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

agreed, webcam is a killer.  It's a bit like trying not to look when passing an accident , but morbid curiosity gets the better of you 

Ah yeah. Woke up and checked this morning to see what the weather was doing down there. Beautiful skies and morning light, suddenly had pangs to be there at the camp site, just woken up, remembering where I am, to be sat in the door of the tent, maybe eating some camp stove breakfast or a coffee when the site’s still relatively quiet... with that feeling that there’s still a whole other day  before the big music even starts yet ! .... uffffff!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Stone_Love said:

My mate Ben text me to say he misses me already. I nearly cried. It's my daughters 1st birthday tomorrow what is wrong with me!!!

Absolutely nothing... I had to give up many a festival when mine were young but never stopped me feeling miserable at the time .. I'd say you were completely level headed 

6 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Absolutely nothing... I had to give up many a festival when mine were young but never stopped me feeling miserable at the time .. I'd say you were completely level headed 

I feel like a bad person. I cant wait to celebrate her birthday tomorrow. I really wanted to take my daughter Lucy with me. We could have got tickets in our group. But my mrs said no! (Which has made me resent her this weekend. Especially when she said shes sick of me talking about Glastonbury already). I talk about it every day. 

Not really doing much work as I still keep looking on here. Kept tomorrow as a day off so I can relax in the garden with a beer. Got some friends over on Saturday for a bbq who also missed out. Going to put a screen up in the garden and watch some sets. It’s nothing like being there but will be good to have the company of fellow unlucky people so we can plan our attack for next year

I made a conscious decision not to go to Glastonbury again after my 10th in 2016.  Trying out alternative festivals before I finally hang up my festival wellies (I'm 61 this year - Bluedot last year, Latitude and maybe EOTR this).  I still get the odd pang of wishing I was there despite that, and I cannot keep away from the forums, hence my reply today.

I made the mistake of watching some coverage on the red button in 2017....I think it was Julia Jacklin into Lisa Hannigan at the Park (or vice versa).  What really got me was the 'gap' between the 2 acts:  the people walking past / milling about / chatting and waiting for the next act to start.  Very very evocative........best to be avoided

20 minutes ago, Stone_Love said:

I feel like a bad person. I cant wait to celebrate her birthday tomorrow. I really wanted to take my daughter Lucy with me. We could have got tickets in our group. But my mrs said no! (Which has made me resent her this weekend. Especially when she said shes sick of me talking about Glastonbury already). I talk about it every day. 

It's a tough call... I always go solo as OH hates festivals of any kind .  I never took mine to festivals as it was MY TIME to chill out completely and the restriction of taking youngsters just didn't appeal.

I'm an all or nothing type.    As for your situation I'd just ride it out , catch up when you can and disappear to it in your head  whenever possible .

I'm just miserable because my youngest is there without me 

I think for those of us that fall in love with the place,  it never really leaves you. Even though you are not there, you still carry the spirit of the place within you with memories of previous years. So instead of not going, I shall simply make an extension of the festival in my back garden and I shall be joining in with a bar-b-q, some ciders, some good music and my own specially created festival field. ?

• Upvote 1

Had to go though Waterloo this morning and saw loads of people heading down :( 

I didn’t think I’d miss it as much as I do, the problem for me is that none of  my friends go anymore, went completely alone in 17 and had a good time but it was also hard being on my own at times, I really missed not sharing the special moments with people  

43 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

It's a tough call... I always go solo as OH hates festivals of any kind .  I never took mine to festivals as it was MY TIME to chill out completely and the restriction of taking youngsters just didn't appeal.

I'm an all or nothing type.    As for your situation I'd just ride it out , catch up when you can and disappear to it in your head  whenever possible .

I'm just miserable because my youngest is there without me 

Your right mate. You sound the same as me. Though I would love to share Glastonbury with my daughter.