The State Of The Queues

kalifire

16 hours ago, buzzbox said:

As a veteran of the Glastonbury experience (first festival in 1989 and attended most of them since), my advice for the past 5 years has been fuck going in on Wednesday day time. Of course, arriving early and getting on with the obligatory shenanigans as soon as possible is awesome. Being selective about where you camp is also a very compelling reason to arrive early. But now pretty much 190,000+ people go through the gates on Wednesday and there are a lot of people who simply don't like to wait. Impatience has become the norm and despite the fact that no matter how long it takes to get in, one still has 80 hours+ of madness to enjoy, people will get stressed, pissy, annoyed and generally shout like their life will end because the festival isn't granting access as quickly as one would like...

Remove this stress from your life. Organise yourself to arrive Wednesday after 9pm or even better, any time on Thursday when most of the gates have absolutely no queues at all.

To summarise - stop your crying, if you is there already enjoy the queue and the crazies around you and soon you will be in the best place in the world for the greatest party of you life. Or, do as the veterans do and rock up like a king on Thursday morning! 

PS I always found getting hammered drunk in the queue on someone elses vodka was a good way to make new friends and reduce the perceived waiting time!

Nah. There’s a middle ground between “just turn up later” and one gate having no queue, and another having people to wait six hours.

That’s avoidable.

It was genuinely awful, and really didn’t have to be.

Absolutely enjoying myself now though!

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They made a right fuck up of this didn't they?

"Gate D full go to Gate A".

4 hours later no queue at all at Gate D, totally empty. After 4 hours in the queue at A, I left and had a wristband at Gate D 13 minutes later, and its a 10 minute walk from A to D.

I waltzed through gate D, easiest entrance ever, it was really hard not being a little smug talking to people about getting in but I've experienced some dirty queues in my time and this year had none. Sure Karma will sort me out at some point.

Left my flat in Manchester city centre at 4am, was sat outsite my tent with a beer by 10am. Unreal scenes.

Just now, priest17 said:

I waltzed through gate D, easiest entrance ever, it was really hard not being a little smug talking to people about getting in but I've experienced some dirty queues in my time and this year had none. Sure Karma will sort me out at some point.

Left my flat in Manchester city centre at 4am, was sat outsite my tent with a beer by 10am. Unreal scenes.

Ha yeah I left Glastonbury town at 7am, in the queue at 7.45am. Everyone saying Gate D was a mess and staff were telling people to go to A but then the word never got out that D had no queue from 9am onwards. 

Gate A stopped dead once the coaches started arriving. People were getting tetchy, skipping queues, jumping barriers etc. The zig-zag snake pen was fucking torturous. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Ha yeah I left Glastonbury town at 7am, in the queue at 7.45am. Everyone saying Gate D was a mess and staff were telling people to go to A but then the word never got out that D had no queue from 9am onwards. 

Gate A stopped dead once the coaches started arriving. People were getting tetchy, skipping queues, jumping barriers etc. The zig-zag snake pen was fucking torturous. 

Man them zig-zag bits are horrible when people give up with them. When they were still using ribbon for them Everyone just stopped using them en masse at some point, worst queue ever.

One of my mates set off from Bristol same time I set off from manc and rang at 11ish to find out where I was in the queue. He just hung up when he found out I was all set up.

They still had the big sign up during the approach to Gate D saying go to A bu we ignored it coz we were gonna camp near D. Think the fest has to hold its hands up for that one, poor effort. 

but if they wanna do it again next year I'd take it...