Sam Fender

sisco

Yeah, last night was great. Fontaines excellent and then just a really good time with Sam. We were really quite near the back but the vibe was just lovely - everyone having a dance and getting into it even back there. A very cute kid who was clearly a big fan already did implore Sam to "stop swearing" a few times though 😂

Very impressive, very enjoyable, very confident gig. One more album and a couple more sing-along radio songs and he's an easy headliner in 2024.

Really lovely to see a genuinely good artist and a decent person get this sort of trajectory. Lots of really interesting cross-sections of fans at the Finsbury Park gig too which felt really nice, and the other acts on the lineup felt really diverse and positive. Great job all round.

Another thing in his favour which is adding to his ever growing popularity is that pretty much everybody ‘likes’ him to some extent don’t they? Covering all spectrums of music taste, age, demographic etc. 
I don’t mean everybody is a massive fan, but his music is pretty inoffensive with some great singalong radio friendly hits and he seems a nice, relatable lad.
I think he’d be a very popular choice for headliner in 2024 with another solid album behind him.  

On 7/17/2022 at 2:14 AM, Troop Dogg said:

Brilliant gig, what a talent he is. Really enjoyed 'Stone' on the 2nd stage as well.

Good to hear, seeing them in October or November as support for Inhaler - their big song is a banger!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gfa said:

Good to hear, seeing them in October or November as support for Inhaler - their big song is a banger!

Yes definitely the pick of the support bands at Finsbury Park for me. Loads of energy, attitude and great songs. Well worth getting in early for at the Inhaler gig I'm sure, enjoy!

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 2:14 AM, Troop Dogg said:

Brilliant gig, what a talent he is. Really enjoyed 'Stone' on the 2nd stage as well.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:58 AM, gfa said:

47 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Good to hear about stone , seeing them in September at a little festival , opening act on a friday evening 

And there they are on the Kendal Calling lineup next week. Will go and see them - I recognise a couple of tracks I didn't realise were them too.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:31 AM, st dan said:

Another thing in his favour which is adding to his ever growing popularity is that pretty much everybody ‘likes’ him to some extent don’t they? Covering all spectrums of music taste, age, demographic etc. 
I don’t mean everybody is a massive fan, but his music is pretty inoffensive with some great singalong radio friendly hits and he seems a nice, relatable lad.
I think he’d be a very popular choice for headliner in 2024 with another solid album behind him.  

I kind of liked him but wasn’t massively fussed until I saw him play last night. Incredible set! Definitely a fan now. He also stopped playing and got the crowd to calm down after some incident. 
Only topped by Working Men’s Club set. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c2b467ea0037b507e2870a4f108fc782.jpeg

I have sung his praises plenty in this forum, but his ascent to near certain Glastonbury headliner status has surprised me. This photo was taken less than 12 months ago, and you can get a sense of the scale of the venues he was playing then. This is the Brizzle O2.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Not so stellar american fest debut at lolla. Technical issues to star. Did half a set. Started solo

Twatter still seems to be full of praise, looked like things picked up after going tech....

• 3 weeks later...

5 in 7 gigs now where I've had tickets and he has pulled out after yesterday at Sziget. Not a word of apology, not good enough. 

I'm pretty sad to see him treat his fans in this way, there were a stack of Geordies yesterday who will have made a hefty outlay to get to Budapest, times are tough for people. He needs to sort himself out and take some time out and sort things out. 

8 minutes ago, reflekting said:

5 in 7 gigs now where I've had tickets and he has pulled out after yesterday at Sziget. Not a word of apology, not good enough. 

I'm pretty sad to see him treat his fans in this way, there were a stack of Geordies yesterday who will have made a hefty outlay to get to Budapest, times are tough for people. He needs to sort himself out and take some time out and sort things out. 

I really do get the frustration as it's happened to me a few times, but he has/had serious health issue that he can't just 'take time and sort himself out'

2 hours ago, reflekting said:

Not exactly sure what his health issues are, but I've heard numerous times that it isn't something that will just go away. I guess there's 2 choices, he quits altogether (hopefully out of the question) or we just learn to live with the element of risk that comes with booking to go see him. 

Hopefully you and those geordies had a good ol' knees up in Budapest anyway. 🙂 

8 hours ago, Alvoram said:

or we just learn to live with the element of risk that comes with booking to go see him. 

I was at 4 festivals where he should've played and he cancelled all of them (!) last minute. I've yet to see him in Belgium. He cancelled fests before and after Glastonbury due to a sore throat but yet he could magically play Glasto, singing like an angel. Piss off. 

"Just learn to live with the element of risk". 😅 I still wonder why festivals stll bother booking this guy. It's been like this for years. He's became worse than Cardi B. 

Edited by lighthouse

5 minutes ago, Porcelina said:

He has a heavily compromised immune system, you only have to glance the lyrics to Alright to realise how serious his health issues have been over the years.

He may have o live with never been booked to headline a festival then , can a festival take a risk that at the last minute he is pulling out ? It’s unlikely that any will want to take the chance at all