Sam Fender

sisco

23 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I was there too, and I felt like half the crowd barely knew The Rolling Stones! It was generally a good atmosphere but somewhat muted, so I wouldn't say Sam did badly at all.

He won the crowd over supporting The Killers in May!

The one thing I feel like holds him back a little is the fact a lot of his songs are fairly similar. Think he needs a few more heavier ones such as Howdon Aldi Death Queue to break his set up a little.

I was there too. Was really surprised at people having no clue who he was. Rightly got a few “this lads alright isn’t he” from the crowd.

the stones are a bucket list band so sort of expect a Hyde park gig to be like that - still a good evening 

56 minutes ago, ljb1995 said:

I was there too. Was really surprised at people having no clue who he was. Rightly got a few “this lads alright isn’t he” from the crowd.

the stones are a bucket list band so sort of expect a Hyde park gig to be like that - still a good evening 

Yeah, I had a great time tonight. I'm probably biased as I'm a big Stones fan but that tonight blew Macca's performace last week out of the water. Barely a dull moment throughout the whole set.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, sisco said:

Absolutely dead crowd for it wasn’t it.  Still a decent enough performance by them

Most tame crowd for seventeen going under I’ve ever seen. Most people around me didn’t have a clue who he was.

7 hours ago, K2SO said:

Yeah, I had a great time tonight. I'm probably biased as I'm a big Stones fan but that tonight blew Macca's performace last week out of the water. Barely a dull moment throughout the whole set.

They were pretty solid, but they’ve always been a pretty solid live act in a way that other legacy bands aren’t. A lot of work goes into making it look like the band hasn’t aged a day!

8 hours ago, K2SO said:

That was my main thought when watching Paul McCartney last week. The last hour made the whole thing worthwhile of course, but during the first hour I was bored and found myself thinking that I had enjoyed the Stones, who I had watched from the exact same spot behind the Pyramid pit, ten times more.

1 hour ago, NoBuses said:

He has serious health issues 

He hasn't disclosed what his issues are, but he definitely has them, and alluded to them in lyrics.

The opening line from Seventeen Going Under is 'I remember the sickness was forever'

And in Howden Aldi Death Queue: 'I got a letter from the NHS, It said it's here for twelve weeks.'  So clearly had to shelter due to high risk.

Will be interesting to see how much health issues affect his trajectory. Assume he's canning festivals in order to ensure he's match-fit for his own big show.

I do wonder how Fender may break out beyond the UK. I'm not the best judge of how big British acts can get stateside, for example.

Never will go and see him again , too many football fans treating it like a football match.

musically I don’t mind him but the atmosphere next to me was close to an oasis gig, obviously doesn’t help I’m a Sunderland fan but he really embraces the football thing and that leads to a certain type of crowd .

wll my mates were Newcastle fans too all wearing the shirts so I just snuck off half way through

I still have 4 tickets for his Album launch show at Sheffield Foundry from December that no one’s heard a thing about. 

Saw him play Brudenell before Christmas and then Nottingham Arena and he was phenomenal at both. 

Hopefully he makes Tramlines. Biggest  current headliner they’ve ever had. 

Just posted something in a different thread that reminded me of this - I wonder if anyone used the lanyard for times and missed him on the Friday? Or was it just some lanyards with the wrong times in them? Mine said he was on Saturday 4pm and still had Doja Cat in the slot he ended up playing. I'm guessing the vast majority used the app but still...

5 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Never will go and see him again , too many football fans treating it like a football match.

musically I don’t mind him but the atmosphere next to me was close to an oasis gig, obviously doesn’t help I’m a Sunderland fan but he really embraces the football thing and that leads to a certain type of crowd .

wll my mates were Newcastle fans too all wearing the shirts so I just snuck off half way through

Have to say I watched the set on tv after I got back and said to my husband I really don’t get all the football stuff. It’s not relevant to his music and surely only alienates a lot of potential fans. 

I’m with you acts that do it tend to create that kind of tribalism that I just don’t like in music gigs.

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Just posted something in a different thread that reminded me of this - I wonder if anyone used the lanyard for times and missed him on the Friday? Or was it just some lanyards with the wrong times in them? Mine said he was on Saturday 4pm and still had Doja Cat in the slot he ended up playing. I'm guessing the vast majority used the app but still...

I can’t remember where but I saw something telling people to use the app for most up to date information on who was playing where as lanyard may be out of date. 

6 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

I did notice that. Wasn't the case when I saw him in Liverpool in March - was just a normal gig crowd, so if you were to ever to feel like seeing him again, just some random city away from Newcastle (on a more extensive tour) and its not too bad.

17 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I do wonder, in the alternative timeline, what sort of a crowd Doja Cat would have pulled for that slot. Bigger? Smaller? Exactly the same?

Still would have had a big crowd, but yeah Fender probably bigger.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I can’t remember where but I saw something telling people to use the app for most up to date information on who was playing where as lanyard may be out of date. 

yeah I did see that too. I was tempted to go old school with the lanyard and occasionally look at the app for any updates (not that I had any signal) but when I saw the wrong times I gave up that idea!

42 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Watching back the TRNSMT performance on the box this morning, the man's got a hell of a following wherever he seems to go.

Increasingly wondering if I'm conservative calling him for 2025. Probably the next young(ish) rock-leading headliner they get down at the farm.

Not overseas. I saw him at Mad Cool yesterday the crowd was tiny. It's crazy how big he is in UK and how small is overseas.

33 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Not overseas. I saw him at Mad Cool yesterday the crowd was tiny. It's crazy how big he is in UK and how small is overseas.

Fair enough. There's plenty out there though - have wondered about trying my luck on a continental tour one year, just go and see a few shows if they fall nicely over a week. Milan had about three arena acts in small(ish) venues back-to-back while I was over the other month but couldn't make any work, alas.

We saw him at his own gig in Birmingham earlier in the year and are hoping to catch him at Sziget next month so we only caught the back end of his set at Glastonbury

On one hand we were thinking it’d be easier to get a good spot at Sziget and this seems to be the case, but I’ll be gutted if he cancels!