Sam Fender

sisco

Just watched his performance at R1's Big Weekend, definitely didn't seem like his usual self. Looked a bit sick tbh, think someone said he received some bad news the day before or something? Can't imagine he'd be like that at Glastonbury. Really hope the setlist is better than what he played at R1 though

1 minute ago, Brad2434 said:

Just watched his performance at R1's Big Weekend, definitely didn't seem like his usual self. Looked a bit sick tbh, think someone said he received some bad news the day before or something? Can't imagine he'd be like that at Glastonbury. Really hope the setlist is better than what he played at R1 though

It’ll be 15 minutes longer for a start so it will be. 

https://www.facebook.com/The-Two-Pennies-Boozy-Choir-102565031674931/photos/a.281398787124887/480853707179393

Good news is he's oot and aboot as of thursday night. I think he's just saving himself for the big one. Do we know where he was on the bill at Hurrican? Might've been a bad slot not worth the aggro at this point.

10 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

https://www.facebook.com/The-Two-Pennies-Boozy-Choir-102565031674931/photos/a.281398787124887/480853707179393

Good news is he's oot and aboot as of thursday night. I think he's just saving himself for the big one. Do we know where he was on the bill at Hurrican? Might've been a bad slot not worth the aggro at this point.

image.thumb.png.c1eb2cf5956ac24c57686c1ac89becac.png

I can't speak to the prominence of the River Stage, but quarter to two before Tones and I.

There are many possible reasons for cancelling, and many would not be Sam's fault. Speculating as to why doesn't help anyone.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

Still short of a couple of tickets for Sam Fender at Castlefield Bowl if anyone has any? So many scammers on Twitter!

Went to castlefield bowl last night to see James, first time I've been, a decent outdoor venue but beers were f***ing extortionate at £5.90 a can.  Mint gig though and the place was rammed. Hopefully see James back on the farm soon as they were absolutely fantastic again .

26 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Went to castlefield bowl last night to see James, first time I've been, a decent outdoor venue but beers were f***ing extortionate at £5.90 a can.  Mint gig though and the place was rammed. Hopefully see James back on the farm soon as they were absolutely fantastic again .

Whatever you do, don’t go to a gig in London. 

33 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Was there myself , that last 45 mins was outstanding. Was gutted James didn’t make it to Glasto this year , I’d love to see them on one of the smaller stages/tents.

James might come back around next year.

Don't think we'll be seeing Sam Fender at Glastonbury until he headlines though. Feel his stock is only going to grow in the next two years, and when you've just played second on the Pyramid - well, where else is there to go?

Tell him to keep The Dying Light in setlists for the next run around and we'll be fine. That's a Springsteen pastiche more than anything else in his catalogue, but it's a bloody great one.

15 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

Was there myself , that last 45 mins was outstanding. Was gutted James didn’t make it to Glasto this year , I’d love to see them on one of the smaller stages/tents.

Fabulous wasn't it ? thought the whole set was ace and playing for 2 and a half hours was special. Highlight, however was beautiful beaches for me, I've been a james fan since one man clapping/strip mine era but love the modern day albums.

remember seeing james do a "warm up" for the alton towers gig by stepping in for a cancelled Morrisey on the pyramid stage in 1992, my first ever glasto. 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:42 PM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

He benefitted from a significant jump in popularity when people starting adopting Seventeen Going Under as an abuse survivor’s anthem - only to then go and endorse an accused party in the middle of a court case which effectively set the MeToo movement back by a decade. Fairly straightforward. 

An accused party who was found not guilty of any crime whatsoever because there wasn't any evidence. Heard was chasing money and thankfully didn't get away with it or anyone rich and famous would be in jail. 

2 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

An accused party who was found not guilty of any crime whatsoever because there wasn't any evidence. Heard was chasing money and thankfully didn't get away with it or anyone rich and famous would be in jail. 

Not this shit again. Wish I’d never mentioned it. He wasn’t “found not guilty” of anything, it wasn’t a criminal trial. 

14 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Not this shit again. Wish I’d never mentioned it. He wasn’t “found not guilty” of anything, it wasn’t a criminal trial. 

Either way, very much a misread of the wider room in the context of his own musical understanding perhaps for Sam Fender. He realised it, mind you.

20 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

It’s easy to assume Sam will come back in a few years to headline, and I hope he does. But I do remember the same assumptions being made when Jake Bugg headlined the Other Stage.

The difference being Sam has two albums full of sensational tracks and Jake Bugg was always horse****.

3 minutes ago, Porcelina said:

The difference being Sam has two albums full of sensational tracks and Jake Bugg was always horse****.

A bit unfair to Jake Bugg, but he did feel a little bit limited. Fender looks to have already established an evolved approach to his songcraft with Seventeen Going Under.

Fender's stock took a bit of a blow last month with the whole Depp thing, but Glastonbury certainly proved that it wasn't a particularly lasting one. Even a dodgy next album - unless it comes out promptly next year and sinks like a rock - probably won't stop him topping the Pyramid.

Just saw him support the stones, quite funny, seemed like there were quite a few people in the crowd who had never heard of him. Genuinely heard someone in the loos say “who was that George Ezra?”. Was interesting to see him try and win a crowd over when I’ve just seen him have the pyramid stage eating out of his hand.

The big acts still play humbling gigs!

Edited by Matt42

I thought his Glastonbury set was unbelievable, been waiting to see him 3 years now as had 3 gigs of his been cancelled on me including the last glasto. Seeing him at my local festival in august headlining victorious and it seems like he has a very good following in Portsmouth so should be a great Sunday night 

33 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Just saw him support the stones, quite funny, seemed like there were quite a few people in the crowd who had never heard of him. Genuinely heard someone in the loos say “who was that George Ezra?”. Was interesting to see him try and win a crowd over when I’ve just seen him have the pyramid stage eating out of his hand.

This sort of thing never ceases to amaze me - I mean can people really be that out of touch? 🤷‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Absolutely dead crowd for it wasn’t it.  Still a decent enough performance by them

44 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I was there too, and I felt like half the crowd barely knew The Rolling Stones! It was generally a good atmosphere but somewhat muted, so I wouldn't say Sam did badly at all.

He won the crowd over supporting The Killers in May!

The one thing I feel like holds him back a little is the fact a lot of his songs are fairly similar. Think he needs a few more heavier ones such as Howdon Aldi Death Queue to break his set up a little.