Sam Fender

sisco

3 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Going to see Crowded house tonight 1 of 3 nights at Roundhouse. Every night the set list has been hugely different and I expect tonight to be the same. This is what I grew up on.

What has changed with the younger generation of bands? It seems to be accepted now to play the same songs in the same order all year. 

Maybe I'm being a fussy twat but it's actually put me off what was easily my favourite newish artist. 

Crowded House have 7 albums to choose from.

Sam Fender has 2.

Whilst still on the up he’ll be banging out the hits because that’s what people want.

Maybe further down the line he’ll start to do a Radiohead and not play Creep at festivals. 

17 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Crowded House have 7 albums to choose from.

Sam Fender has 2.

Whilst still on the up he’ll be banging out the hits because that’s what people want.

Maybe further down the line he’ll start to do a Radiohead and not play Creep at festivals. 

He's already started leaving his biggest hit Hypersonic Missiles off his shorter setlists, haha.

40 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Going to see Crowded house tonight 1 of 3 nights at Roundhouse. Every night the set list has been hugely different and I expect tonight to be the same. This is what I grew up on.

What has changed with the younger generation of bands? It seems to be accepted now to play the same songs in the same order all year. 

Maybe I'm being a fussy twat but it's actually put me off what was easily my favourite newish artist. 

Actually the norm is to have a fairly static setlist for a tour. Artists like CH, Springsteen and Pearl Jam who mix up the setlists nightly, are very much the anomaly. Iron Maiden for example hardly change their setlist over a whole tour. GNR have been playing roughly the same setlist since 1991.

I think there's a number of reasons. Some acts simply aren't up to the task of rehearsing and nailing a huge number of songs. Also these days productions with lighting / video etc are so regimented there isn't the opportunity to play that loosely without incurring a lot of extra work.

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Not saying he was a nobody prior to it - clearly that’d be nonsense - but it’s a simple fact that that song went massive on TikTok when survivors adopted it, and those same people now feel let down. We can argue all day long about what it says about people being too attached to celebrities, I agree with that to an extent, but I’m not making it up. 

Thing is, that particular lyric isn’t specifically referencing domestic abuse. It’s nice that it got adopted that way, but I think it’s harsh for people to apply their own meaning to a song then criticise the singer for not responding *exactly* how they would want him to respond to their personal interpretation. I know it comes with the territory but you can see why so many artists stop engaging with their fan base as they get bigger.

On a personal level, my wife saw her Mum getting hit by her Dad before he ran off. She didn’t get upset by Fender having a picture taken with Depp in a pub. 

Just now, MEGABOWL said:

Thing is, that particular lyric isn’t specifically referencing domestic abuse. It’s nice that it got adopted that way, but I think it’s harsh for people to apply their own meaning to a song then criticise the singer for not responding *exactly* how they would want him to respond to their personal interpretation. I know it comes with the territory but you can see why so many artists stop engaging with their fan base as they get bigger.

Yeah I totally get that, and don’t necessarily disagree. It’s just an unfortunate backlash he could’ve probably done without, but the apology seems to have sorted it anyway. 

52 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Acts like Crowded House and Springsteen are actually pretty unusual. Once they get to a decent level it’s hard to vary a setlist that much without taking a very minimal stage setup. Look at Macca on this tour. Very static.

Theres also an art to planning a setlist. Being able to do what Springsteen does and almost completely wing parts of the show  is phenomenal but it takes so much ability on the bands part and TBH it does sometimes lead to a lull where it doesn’t quite flow. Plus he always doubles back to the hits at the end. Others like to have a flow to their gigs and once they’ve got a formula and pace that works stick with it. 

Edited by MEGABOWL

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yeah I totally get that, and don’t necessarily disagree. It’s just an unfortunate backlash he could’ve probably done without, but the apology seems to have sorted it anyway. 

I do think there’s a lot to learn in it for him. He didn’t have to put the picture on SM for example. 

7 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

He benefitted from a significant jump in popularity when people starting adopting Seventeen Going Under as an abuse survivor’s anthem - only to then go and endorse an accused party in the middle of a court case which effectively set the MeToo movement back by a decade. Fairly straightforward. 

Absolute nonsense.

1 hour ago, ThomZorke said:

Sam Fender just cancelled at both Hurricane and Southside Festival the weekend before Glastonbury (via the festival's social media channels). No reasons given. Anybody with more information on this?

"We would have loved to present it to you live this year, so the short term of the cancellation hurts once more. ☹️"

Ouch, fingers crossed for Glasto.

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

….is the answer I was hoping for. Thanking you 😅

No probs.  I did constantly check as was hoping him and Lorde wouldn’t clash as predicted.  Worrying he’s cancelled that though after cancelling The Killers support

2 hours ago, ThomZorke said:

Sam Fender just cancelled at both Hurricane and Southside Festival the weekend before Glastonbury (via the festival's social media channels). No reasons given. Anybody with more information on this?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are some mental health issues there stemming from the Johnny Depp situation. We know from interviews and lyrics that he stuggles with that so I imagine its taken a toll. 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are some mental health issues there stemming from the Johnny Depp situation. We know from interviews and lyrics that he stuggles with that so I imagine its taken a toll. 

Let’s hope not eh. Fingers crossed it’s just because of travel restrictions or something. 

48 minutes ago, BreadMakesYouFat? said:

Maybe after cancelling in 2019, and being offered such a prime spot, he's not taking any chances this time. Baring in mind the Pyramid sub slot probably only came up in the last few weeks when Doja Cat pulled out.

i'm more inclined to think this as well, that's the ultimate slot before his time to do it. if it goes well he's at worst, one more album from headlining 2024 . 

FWIW i really hope he plays Angel in Lothian because that's my favourite off the new album , pure Dylan-esque poetry and i will bawl my eyes out into my Newcastle Brown Ale