Sam Fender

sisco

On 6/6/2022 at 11:15 AM, brettredmayne said:

As a Sunderland fan I saw him at the killers and I would like that flag he put over his piano to be misplaced 

Hello fellow Sunderland fan 😁 I like Sam but the lad I do our radio show with despises him after the Newcastle takeover crack.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The life of Pablo said:

It's incredible that he's doing what he's doing with leukaemia!  

I’d delete this, it’s not confirmed and he hasn’t made health issues public for a reason and plus it’s probably not even true 

Edited by NoBuses

1 hour ago, dj_tim said:

Considering he's never played Glastonbury before I'm hoping he'll play some more of his older stuff too. His set at Big Weekend was only 40 minutes as well so hopefully he'll have time for a few more on the pyramid.

He was meant to play for an hour at R1BW, not sure what happened there but a repeat at Glastonbury doesn’t seem likely. 

FFS - he’s done it again.  Scheduling f***ing issues apparently.  What does that even mean?!

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2022/0607/1303422-killers-announce-support-bands-after-fender-pulls-out/

At least I will be seeing him at Glasto but many others at this gig won’t.

This sort of shit and the Jonny Depp stuff is starting to take the shine off for me

1 hour ago, circus92 said:

FFS - he’s done it again.  Scheduling f***ing issues apparently.  What does that even mean?!

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2022/0607/1303422-killers-announce-support-bands-after-fender-pulls-out/

This sort of shit and the Jonny Depp stuff is starting to take the shine off for me

Just looked and he's at a European festival on Friday. I can imagine there being a Brexit related issue with getting stuff (and maybe the tourint party) sent over there quickly enough. 

He’s apologised for the Johnny Depp thing now to be fair. Albeit only because he got called out for it by his key demographic. 

The other cancelling stuff from before was due to ill health and he did have a serious illness in his teens. He's in the vulnerable category for Covid for example due to the illness he had. That said it does get frustrating so I feel for you.

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What actually happened with Jonny Depp? He had a drink with him? 

Is that right? (I don’t read the news).

Literally nothing.  He went for a drink with Depp after the result and said he was a hero! Then he’s obviously offended people and no doubt his record company have said delete and apologies.  Absolute load of rubbish! Why should he need to?

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What actually happened with Jonny Depp? He had a drink with him? 

Is that right? (I don’t read the news).

Yes. The very evening the verdict in the trial was due. Like a lot of people he seems to have completely understood what that trial was actually about. Either that or missed the previous court case against The Sun when he was found highly likely to have committed at least 12 counts of abuse. Not to mention the list of allegations about Depp’s on set behaviour which stretch back years. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

14 minutes ago, Toto Schillaci said:

Yes. Then everyone lost their shit and he had to apologise. For what, I don't know. Just the world we live in.

He benefitted from a significant jump in popularity when people starting adopting Seventeen Going Under as an abuse survivor’s anthem - only to then go and endorse an accused party in the middle of a court case which effectively set the MeToo movement back by a decade. Fairly straightforward. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, sisco said:

Literally nothing.  He went for a drink with Depp after the result and said he was a hero! Then he’s obviously offended people and no doubt his record company have said delete and apologies.  Absolute load of rubbish! Why should he need to?

It’s how things are now. Like me he had probably paid no attention to the court case and knows nothing of Depp beyond films he’s seen him in. But he got loads of abuse from people who weee offended and now having apologised he’s getting loads from those who think he’s a ‘coward’ and a ‘traitor.’ Probably best to get a team to keep his SM nice and anodyne or just not post anything.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

He benefitted from a significant jump in popularity when people starting adopting Seventeen Going Under as an abuse survivor’s anthem - only to then go and endorse an accused party in the middle of a court case which effectively set the MeToo movement back by a decade. Fairly straightforward. 

So much wrong with this.

1. Had to look it up as I've never heard of this 'abuse survivor's anthem' thing but TikTok isn't everything, seems likely you're massively exaggerating.

2. Those lyrics have been taken massively out of the context of the song to be used that way anyway, he hardly postitioned himself as some champion of those facing domestic abuse in the song and is therefore being a hypocrite as you seem to be implying. I would strongly expect he is against domestic abuse though, everyone reasonable human is. 

3. As he's explained, he wasn't endorsing Depp in any way that relates to the case. He described 2 people as heroes and even gave the explanation that it was in the context of their work in music and film. That seems very reasonable and believable to me, especially as Jeff Beck was also included who wasn't involved in the case.

4. Set MeToo back by a decade - how do you work that out? If anything, it's shown that women can be abusers too and we need to be careful and assess individual cases before jumping to conclusions. That's a good thing. I'm not saying Depp was never abusive but coming at it from this thoughtless #BelieveAllWomen angle is reckless. 

5. Depp won the case. Unfair outcomes are sometimes reached, I get that, but it certainly doesn't help your argument. And yes, I understand it was a civil defamation trial, that doesn't change what the jury saw and based its decision on.

Edited by The Martini Police
  • Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Weird take on why he and his songs are popular 🤣 don’t think it’s that’s deep 

Not saying he was a nobody prior to it - clearly that’d be nonsense - but it’s a simple fact that that song went massive on TikTok when survivors adopted it, and those same people now feel let down. We can argue all day long about what it says about people being too attached to celebrities, I agree with that to an extent, but I’m not making it up. 

5 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

4. Set MeToo back by a decade - how do you work that out?

Maybe “set it back by a decade” was too strong but it’s not hard to work out how this verdict is going to be used as a precedent going forward, both in the courts and in wider society, by people who would stand to benefit from women starting to feel unable to speak up again. It’s already happening in some corners - look at the people saying ‘Evan Rachel Wood/Melissa Benoist next’ etc. 

12 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

5. Depp won the case. Unfair outcomes are sometimes reached, I get that, but it certainly doesn't help your argument. And yes, I understand it was a civil defamation trial, that doesn't change what the jury saw and based its decision on.

He won this case - he was still unsuccessful in suing The Sun over basically the same thing, and still has another court case hanging over his head, as well as numerous allegations of on-set behaviour stretching back years. Not really the kind of guy you want to be seen hanging out with, regardless of how much you enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean films. 

Anyway he’s apologised which is the main thing. 

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Jesus Christ, people like you absolutely boil my piss. You really don’t have anything better to do with your life than to try and look for someone successful and find something you don’t like about them to make yourself feel better?

3 minutes ago, Brad2434 said:

Jesus Christ, people like you absolutely boil my piss. You really don’t have anything better to do with your life than to try and look for someone successful and find something you don’t like about them to make yourself feel better?

Bit much, this. Have no issue with Fender beyond what I’ve stated in this thread. Quite like the songs of his that I’ve heard. 

Going to see Crowded house tonight 1 of 3 nights at Roundhouse. Every night the set list has been hugely different and I expect tonight to be the same. This is what I grew up on.

What has changed with the younger generation of bands? It seems to be accepted now to play the same songs in the same order all year. 

Maybe I'm being a fussy twat but it's actually put me off what was easily my favourite newish artist.