Camping chair etiquette

Pauljoanss

What is the etiquette of folding chairs around the main stages. Getting a bit old and have not been since 2011 but managed to get Sunday tickets through new partner and very keen she should experience the  magic of Glasto, if only for one day

In the past I always felt rather negative towards people in chairs, particularly the Sunday locals and pledged not to take any. However as the day comes  nearer and bones creak louder (both in our late sixties) I have relented and bought us both folding camping chairs today.

Is it acceptable behaviour to leave chairs in place, unoccupied for few hours around a main stage, albeit not near the front, say half way back in the crowd?

Happy to conform with accepted behaviour once I know what it is.

44 minutes ago, Pauljoanss said:

Is it acceptable behaviour to leave chairs in place, unoccupied for few hours around a main stage, albeit not near the front, say half way back in the crowd?

If by "half way back in the crowd" you meant in the field, and if you don't mind them not being there when you get back sure - but it's a bit cheeky to reserve a spot then go do other things for hours. Especially if it's in the crowd.

Chairs OK anywhere really but when it gets crowded fold up and stand or move further back and you won't get on anyone's wick. 

Is it a fair consensus to say chairs anywhere from mixing/sound desk and back for acts before say 5/6pm is fine (odd exception, ie Sunday) as long as you fold them up when act is on. If you want to remain sitting while the act is on I'd say halfway between sound desk and tree back is fair game.

BUT that all changes from 6ish onwards when the field will start to fill up and acceptable boundaries shift backwards. A good rule of thumb is if everyone around you is standing up, and you're sitting down, it's probably a good idea to fold the chair and stand. Same goes for sitting on a blanket. 

A bit of common sense works wonders... although won't stop the campers in the pit area.

7 hours ago, Pauljoanss said:

What is the etiquette of folding chairs around the main stages. Getting a bit old and have not been since 2011 but managed to get Sunday tickets through new partner and very keen she should experience the  magic of Glasto, if only for one day

In the past I always felt rather negative towards people in chairs, particularly the Sunday locals and pledged not to take any. However as the day comes  nearer and bones creak louder (both in our late sixties) I have relented and bought us both folding camping chairs today.

Happy to conform with accepted behaviour once I know what it is.

As long as you're further back than people standing you'll be fine. Plus you'll want to be further back so you can actually see the stage/screens from where you're sat.

6 hours ago, bimblebee said:

Please don’t leave your chairs and go off exploring.  To be honest it’s a selfish thing to do 

Yes the leaving aspect is more unusual, most people typically leave someone to look after the chairs, but more specifically the space, as otherwise don't be surprised if they slightly move as places fill up in the crowd or folks move past them. 

I wouldn’t leave the chairs unattended, as they may not be there when you return. Not due to people being thieves as such, but if someone sees a couple of chairs that have sat with no one at them for a couple of hours then they’d probably think they had been abandoned and fair game to take for themselves. 

Sitting far back is fine I'd say, just don't tut if people don't see you/ accidentally knock into you (moreso as it gets later)

Re: leaving them unattended, as you will well know the landscape of the main stage crowds can change quite drastically beween acts and as the day goes on, you'd probably struggle to find them - they also might go walkies. As there's loads of lockups, I'd second checking them into one of those near the stage you want to spend most time at.

Happy fest :)

Absolutely no issue with it at all. There’s plenty of space for everyone to enjoy sitting, standing, laying, whatever. If you leave your chairs then maybe offer to someone near you to use whilst you go for a bimble? Have a great time and don’t stress about it. 

Many thanks for constructive replies, I now feel a little less self conscious using seats.

To summarise the general rules seem to be:-

1.ok to use seats virtually anywhere until you find everyone around you is standing, at that point you either fold up seat and stand or move backwards to an area where others are seated.

2. Leaving seats unoccupied for longish periods seems to be a no no, because not fair to others and  may not be there when you return. An interesting suggestion was to offer seats up to your neigbours while you are away. Also using lockups was another practical suggestion.

Anyway, really looking forward to Sunday, bit disappointed with Pyramid lineup but good that it will encourage us to see lots of other stuff. Can't wait to give my partner a guided tour, although her excitement level is not particularly high at the moment but I hope to win her over.