Avoid Theft - Use the onsite lockups!

wetwipes

15 hours ago, Jay89 said:

And also, how the hell do people not wake up when someone is in their tent? Baffling!

Thing is, especially over the Wednesday and Thursday nights, people are either totally hammered and out of it or just very tired from their journey to their camp and general late night shenanigans. Which can lead to very deep sleeps.

This is exactly what the theives are banking on and is how they get away with it.

14 minutes ago, sime said:

Thing is, especially over the Wednesday and Thursday nights, people are either totally hammered and out of it or just very tired from their journey to their camp and general late night shenanigans. Which can lead to very deep sleeps.

This is exactly what the theives are banking on and is how they get away with it.

I tend to fart a lot in my tent - its a good tactic to stop the thieves, just keep in airtight so when they try and get it, instant KO

14 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

I tend to fart a lot in my tent - its a good tactic to stop the thieves, just keep in airtight so when they try and get it, instant KO

Possibly! Although I don't even think someones horrible stinky arse will put them off while their thieving lust is up.

8 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

you've clearly never been in my tent after a beery night! :) 

No (thank goodness by the sounds of it!). But if I were a thief I'd grab you bag and be off, no matter what the stench!

Anyways, let's hope this conversation is just academic and that your tent will remain free for just you and your beautiful guffs ♥️ ?

9 minutes ago, sime said:

No (thank goodness by the sounds of it!). But if I were a thief I'd grab you bag and be off, no matter what the stench!

Anyways, let's hope this conversation is just academic and that your tent will remain free for just you and your beautiful guffs ♥️ ?

Fingers crossed - still amazes me that these fuckers exist in this day and age and totally opposite to the spirit of the festival! may they all be caught/hung/drawn/quartered!

1 hour ago, sime said:

This is exactly what happened to me in 2017.

I've always slept with valuables in my sleeping bag and considered myself to be a light sleeper.   A combination of earplugs, heavy drinking and a long day meant that someone was able to come into my tent and have a good rifle around without waking either me or my partner up.    They made off with both wallets taking all our cash, cards and ID.  They also took all the alcohol and cigarettes they could find.  

I woke up after 3 hours sleep to the tent doors open and realised immediately what had happened.

Lockups for me this year.

7 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

This is exactly what happened to me in 2017.

I've always slept with valuables in my sleeping bag and considered myself to be a light sleeper.   A combination of earplugs, heavy drinking and a long day meant that someone was able to come into my tent and have a good rifle around without waking either me or my partner up.    They made off with both wallets taking all our cash, cards and ID.  They also took all the alcohol and cigarettes they could find.  

I woke up after 3 hours sleep to the tent doors open and realised immediately what had happened.

Lockups for me this year.

That's awful - just so complete and invasive. Really hope with the lockups and all you can feel safe this year.

Did they leave a twix at least?

I can't believe the tent thieving fuckers are the same people who were frantically hitting F5 last October and who stumped up £250 for a ticket.

So I'm kind of hoping this year's clampdown of the EPO wristband scam will mean a significant reduction in tent thefts.

But I'll still be using the lockups.

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I always sleep with some shorts on and my phone in one buttoned up pocket and wallet in another so it'd actually be a mugging if they managed to get those!

One bloke in the tent next to me that was robbed had his jeans pocket razored off him as he slept.  Just sayin'

Another tip i've spotted frequenting this forum, Is people recommending tying either pet collar bells or a carrier bag full of empty cans to your tent zip so a nice racket is made if anyone tries to get in your tent while you sleep. 

Just now, Robyn91 said:

Another tip i've spotted frequenting this forum, Is people recommending tying either pet collar bells or a carrier bag full of empty cans to your tent zip so a nice racket is made if anyone tries to get in your tent while you sleep. 

I lay my trolley in front of the entrance (one of those with a bigger porch area than bedroom) along with the bag of empty cans. hoping they'll see it as too much hassle at that point.

3 minutes ago, wetwipes said:

One bloke in the tent next to me that was robbed had his jeans pocket razored off him as he slept.  Just sayin'

JEANS? Wow 

1 hour ago, frostypaw said:

That's awful - just so complete and invasive. Really hope with the lockups and all you can feel safe this year.

Did they leave a twix at least?

Haha, no Twixes sadly.

It was my 9th Glastonbury and nothing like that has happened before so we just put it down to a rare incident.   I think my gf might feel a little uneasy at first this year but we made a very quick decision that day to not let one or two evil bastards ruin a beautiful festival for us.

I can only echo what has already been said - make sure everything is put in the lockups on 1st day before you set off on your beer travels.

I was robbed in 2016 luckily all my cash was in the lockups but my camera (which was next to me head) and phone were not, so they got those - I did actually wake up when thief was going through stuff next my head, but I was half asleep, didn't have my glasses and it was dark - I just called out my partner's name thinking it was him and guy left the tent, I though it was my fella going to the loo so went back to sleep.

In waking up it meant they didn't take my partner's stuff so whilst I was very pissed off, I didn't let it ruin my festival but I didn't like the idea of someone being in my tent. The rest of the day and in 2017 on way back to tent at night I'd check my rucksack with everything in for 1st few days as just didn't want to risk anything going missing :( 

18 hours ago, wetwipes said:

@uscore It's just not going to happen. It has never happened in all of the (crazy) years of the festival  All the inside of the tent is lined with steel barriers. Also, the festival sure ain't gonna cover your losses if your stuff is nicked from your tent, so lockups always the safer option! 

I'm a huge fan of the lockups. I always use them.  But I want to know what would happen, hypothetically, if they got robbed?  It's not going to happen I know, but play the game, what if it does?

Our first year, the first night, someone opened our tent and got away with the top of my mate's bag. I think I startled them because there was quite a lot for them to grab if they looked. My friends bag was filled with her ray bans and her underwear. In the morning we found a trail of underwear all around our tent. 

2nd year our neighbors had a giant porch and their booze and wellies were stolen out of it. 

Another tip if it hasn't been mentioned: make sure your stuff isnt zipped nicely into an easy to grab bag. Aka the messier your shit looks the less likely they are to grab it all (pertaining to clothes and booze particularly)

• Like 1