Avoid Theft - Use the onsite lockups!

wetwipes

Just a reminder to people - theft still occurs. Often in the first few days of the festival but I myself have camped next door to folk that had £800 stolen on a Saturday night while they were sleeping (and snoring!) in Kidney Mead at Glastonbury a few years back.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/property-lock-ups/

I had an aversion to the lock ups for years. Had some odd idea about them. But they are run by lovely people 24 hours a day, it's free - you can throw them a donation -  and have apparently never lost an item. In recent years as soon as I pitch up, I put all my precious documents/cards including ticket in, and lots of cash money, and take a phone photo of the "receipts". Then all I have to worry about is to retrieve everything before 12 noon on Monday - a phone reminder is good!! You can access your cash during the festival, remove some and get a new ticket for the remaining (sealed envelope) amount.  

Also a good idea, when you arrive and pitch up, is to "designer distress" your belongings in your tent. Strew them all around and don't make it easy for someone to just drag out your rucksack.  

Have a beautiful, safe, happy festival, all of you. My first time not going since 1994 but 20 Glastonbury festivals seems a good number to halt at (especially as my username wetwipes are now environmental spawn of the devil ?)   I'll be watching ye all ont'elly ✌️☮️❤️

• Upvote 9

All good solid advice.

The worst of the thievery has traditionally been the first couple of nights.  Chuck everything you can't afford to be without in the lockups when you get there, carry only enough for the evening and restock in the morning.  Drugs, money, cashcard, keys and anything else that you can't make it through the week without.  Don't let the nasty little c**ts ruin your festival. 

• Like 1

Also thieving seems more prevalent on dry years as its harder for the bastards to get about in the mud when it’s soaking. Plus possibly folk get in a worse state. I haven’t used the lockup’s but plan to this year

Edited by Sack truck

What about ID/passports? I’m 30, but I keep getting ID’d for absolutely anything, even scratch cards. Can’t see myself going to the lock up, possibly on the other side of site, every time I’m asked to show ID at the bar.

And also, how the hell do people not wake up when someone is in their tent? Baffling!

Edited by Jay89

Just now, Jay89 said:

What about ID/passports? I’m 30, but I keep getting ID’d for absolutely anything, even scratch cards. Can’t see myself going to the lock up, possibly on the other side of site, every time I’m asked to show ID at the bar.

You can be sure of there being some sort of challenge 25 wristband I would expect, certainly has been in the past.  Use your ID to get wristbanded and you can lob it safely in the lockups from there on out.

Just now, Spindles said:

You can be sure of there being some sort of challenge 25 wristband I would expect, certainly has been in the past.  Use your ID to get wristbanded and you can lob it safely in the lockups from there on out.

Ohhh that’s good, I wasn’t aware of it. Do I obtain it from the bars?

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

it could well be the lock ups that do the wristband, if not them the info points

This is good advice.

I'd add empty your bag at the end of each night - full bags get grabbed and sorted through outside. Similarly don't put wodges of stuff down the end of your sleeping bag as it just makes it obvious

You want anyone who fancies it to look in and think "sod that there'll be easier options"

@uscore It's just not going to happen. It has never happened in all of the (crazy) years of the festival  All the inside of the tent is lined with steel barriers. Also, the festival sure ain't gonna cover your losses if your stuff is nicked from your tent, so lockups always the safer option! 

Edited by wetwipes
additional comment
  • Upvote 1

I always use the lock ups. I put money, wallet, alcohol and anything else valuable in the one closest to my tent and treat it like an ATM. Definitely take a photo of your ticket receipt because if you lose it then it can take ages to go through the paperwork (possible but time consuming). 

Some advocate using multiple lock ups so you’re never far from cash/booze but that’s always struck me as quite complicated. 

Finally, don’t put all the money on you in one pocket. Use different sections of your day bag or pockets in your clothes. Make it as difficult as possible for the thieving little shits. And if you see it happen to anyone else, make a loud noise about it to embarrass the scrote and forewarn everyone else. 

I hope everyone has has a safe time ?

Edited by kalifire

10 minutes ago, uscore said:

What's the deal if there was a massive security event and everything in the lockups got stolen? Would the festival cover your losses? Or is it use-at-your-own-risk?

Im gunna oceans 14 the lock ups. Anyone got a useless skill that never comes in handy or a doppelganger? 

I've said it before but thanks to the advice on here I've used the lock ups since my first time going.  And I think on two occasions but thieving c**t has been in my tent but left empty handed thanks to only a few cans of beer and clothes being available to nick.  

The lock ups are one of the brilliant things about the festival - seemingly simple genius!

4 minutes ago, whateverworksout said:

What do people check in their money/ID/drugs/car keys etc in? think I’m gunna use them for the first time this year, should I put everything in a small zipped bag? Or something less obvious?

I just chuck everything in my backpack and check that in.  I check it out (and drop a donation) whenever I need to top up resources and then check it back in.

Edited by Spindles