The frankly too late guide to comedy at the festival 2019

DeanoL

I do this every year, normally just after the line-up comes out. But life took over this year so apologies if this is a bit late for most. Let's start with my one must-see.

Top tip:

Rob Kemp - The Elvis Dead, Cabaret Tent, Friday night 0100-0200
A man acts out the entirety of The Evil Dead 2, while it plays on a screen in the background, while singing Elvis songs with the words changed, so Viva Las Vegas becomes Read From The Pages etc. At this point you're either sold or think it sounds like the worst thing ever. It's brilliant, trust me. It's saved by a well above-average Elvis impersonation and a commitment to the premise that borders on the insane. There's no better place for this to be performed than 1am at Glastonbury. No knowledge of Evil Dead 2 is required. Some knowledge of Elvis is probably required but no more than your average person has - ie. you know the chorus to the hits. Best treated as an over-the-top rock gig. 

One-off events

Club Cognito - Mavericks, Thursday 2300-0100
A tribute to Glastonbury regular, the late, great Ian Cognito that features some fantastic comics that will likely be doing some of their darkest material.

Tribute to Jeremy Hardy - Cabaret Tent, Saturday 1205-1300
Another tribute to a Glastonbury regular who sadly passed away, in his usual slot at the Cabaret Tent. Least he never lived to see Brexit. Mind you nor might we.

Jonathan Pie - Astrolabe, Friday 1745-1830
Known for his viral YouTube videos but by all accounts a good live performer, doing most of his current touring show.

Bob's Blundabus - Midday - Midnight, Theatre Field
Bob Slayer owns a bus in which he puts on comedy shows at Edinburgh Festival. He'll be driving it to Glastonbury and parking it up for the weekend in the theatre field. What he'll be doing on there I have no bloody idea but I would guess some slightly more out there comedy and cabaret stuff. Who knows? It's Bob. 

Cabaret recommendations
I'm not as plugged into stand-up as I used to be but here's some recommendations for acts that I do know playing the Cabaret tent. Not going to list times as many are on twice or more.
Andrew O'Neil - surrealist black magic comedy with the occasional musical twist.
Phil Nichol - manic storytelling with the occasional musical twist
Jenny Collier - angry biting comedy about life
Ian Stone - observational comedy with a political edge
Jess Robinson - manic musical impersonations
Paul Foot - nutcase. Sometimes he's the funniest thing you'll ever see, other times he dies on his arse.
Spencer Jones - more reliable, structured nutcase.
Tom Binns - pretends to be a nutcase radio DJ but infact does fantastic music-driven one-lines
Steve Gribben - musical,  political, very good
Stuart Goldsmith - charming, smart observation stuff
Matt Kirshen - used to be a regular on the UK circuit, moved to the US, I see him at Glastonbury now as it's one of the few chances we get - smart observation stuff

Sensation Seekers recommendations
Rayguns Look Real Enough - madcap musical mashups
Abandoman / Rob Broderick - brilliant improvised hip-hop

That'll do right? Oh and the Steve Frost Improv All-Stars at the Astrolabe, probably don't need to remind you on that one.

Anyone else surprised by the lack Jonathan Kay at the Astrolabe? First fest without him since at least 2003 I think?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

20 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Anyone else surprised by the lack Jonathan Kay at the Astrolabe? First fest without him since at least 2003 I think?

To answer my own question: he is on, there just seems to be acknowledgement that most of his show doesn't actually happen in the Astrolabe so why pretend anymore!

G L A S T O N B U R Y S H O W T I M E S !

Friday 17.15 - 17.45
Saturday 16.55 - 17.25
Sunday 15.50 - 16.20

All shows start at THE GATEWAY RISER

Absolutely agree on Elvis Dead reccommendation, it's bloody brilliant and a great festival show.

Just some people to add:

Jack Gleadow - Fast rising comic who channels the spirit of old school variety entertainers but without all the bad bits.

Silky- North West comedy legend, just utter hilarity.

Dana Alexander - Bawdy, in your face Canadian comic. Great jokes with social commentary.

Frank Sanazi - Leave your taste levels at the door and give it a go.

George Egg - He will probably be making breakfast.

I also had no idea Bob Slayer was bringing his Blundabus. Visit, fuck knows what will happen.