Train Home Monday

Hawros

Hello hive mind.

We're deploying our usual tactic this year of one-way See coach to site on Wednesday, and then train back via CC on Monday.

I usually get up early (5/6am) on the Monday to miss the worst of the queues and get back to London at a decent time during the day.

My question is - is getting up early as beneficial as I think / profess? What are experiences of going later in the morning / day, with queuing at each point?

Thanks in advance.

49 minutes ago, Hawros said:

Hello hive mind.

We're deploying our usual tactic this year of one-way See coach to site on Wednesday, and then train back via CC on Monday.

I usually get up early (5/6am) on the Monday to miss the worst of the queues and get back to London at a decent time during the day.

My question is - is getting up early as beneficial as I think / profess? What are experiences of going later in the morning / day, with queuing at each point?

Thanks in advance.

The one time I did this I was fairly successful except I missed one train due to the staff forgetting to let anyone on from the festival! (They let all the commuters on obviously!).

Make sure you have your ticket already/can buy on the app instantly as the queues for tickets were long!

Going towards London seemed to be worse.

52 minutes ago, Ashl said:

The one time I did this I was fairly successful except I missed one train due to the staff forgetting to let anyone on from the festival! (They let all the commuters on obviously!).

Make sure you have your ticket already/can buy on the app instantly as the queues for tickets were long!

Going towards London seemed to be worse.

Got all that - thanks. Have done it a few times, all as easily as practical. 

Wondering how the whole thing differs if travelling later in the day. 

(Bump) 

It’s like anything else really - if you go when most people will be there you’ll stand less chance of getting on it having a seat at least. I’ve only ever travelled by train to Westbury (two stops away, then on to Frome) but they have lanes marked out for different destinations and try to move as many people onto each train as possible. 

4 hours ago, Ashl said:

Actually the one year I had to buy a ticket at the station, doing so actually meant I leap frogged the queue and ended up near the front somehow. But since then it’s always paid to have a ticket in advance. 

Ideally I want a horror story about someone who's crawled out of tent at 10/11, made their leisurely way to CC, and been stuck there for 5 hours in a queue.

Either that or that it was a piece of piss and I should chill my boots.

Any takers?