No Q Review/NME this year then?

UEF

Used to be one of my little post-festival treats, going to find a large WH Smitht to get the Q Review and NME review of Glastonbury with the posters etc (and feeling so knackered you wouldn't really read them)

I assume there'll be nothing this year - the NME doesn't exist (even in free form), the Q thing didn't happen in 2016...

Another tradition dead?

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah havent done Q one for a couple years I think and NME are no longer print. With the Western Daily Press review was still out after - who remembers that?

Think I got one of those thorough the post last year 

I used to like them as well, but lets be honest they were awful and a waste of paper. Half baked reviews of all the obvious stuff rushed to be ready on the Monday morning. I'd honestly rather jump on Twitter on the Monday morning and read all the people that proper went for its still drunk reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to like the Q review, until it started getting worse and worse, culminating in one year where their Saturday or Sunday review/walkabout declared a set as being great despite the fact the set had been cancelled- exposed as a bunch of frauds literally making stuff up.

NME did the worst thing by turning on its core audience to try and cash in on the mainstream. Instead all the did was chase away a lot of their customer base whilst not attracting ay new ones. I'm surprised it took them that long to die in an era where print journalism is near defunct anyway.

The went all Kings of Leon.

It's a shame though as print journalism was a great way to find new bands and actually build them into popular culture. I dunno if it's been fully replaced yet, maybes it's just social media which I barely use so miss a lot but it does feel a lot harder to find new acts these days than when I was younger (in that I mean you have to work harder, not that they aren't there).

The Guardian lanyard thingy referred to a souvenir print edition being available when you leave,  I didnt see anything and haven't noticed anything in the shops since so I assume they were talking plop plops?

Shame, I loved those aerial poster photos, if nothing else, still look at prior years posters now

This thread has reminded me that as we were walking in this year there was a guy pointing a camera right at us. Turns out we made it onto the NME website: https://www.nme.com/news/music/gates-open-see-early-arrivals-glastonbury-2019-photos-2517208

I'm the guy with the red backpack and cap. Luckily they used the first picture he took not the one where I turned around and game him a thumbs up :lol: 

rexfeatures_10321627bu_GLASTO_2000-920x584.jpg

46 minutes ago, chatty said:

NME did the worst thing by turning on its core audience to try and cash in on the mainstream. Instead all the did was chase away a lot of their customer base whilst not attracting ay new ones. I'm surprised it took them that long to die in an era where print journalism is near defunct anyway.

The went all Kings of Leon.

It's a shame though as print journalism was a great way to find new bands and actually build them into popular culture. I dunno if it's been fully replaced yet, maybes it's just social media which I barely use so miss a lot but it does feel a lot harder to find new acts these days than when I was younger (in that I mean you have to work harder, not that they aren't there).

SoundCloud, mixcloud, Spotify discover, and many more are all excellent for new stuff.  Limitless internet radio too. If you're relying on the media of your younger days then i can understand why it may seem hard to find new stuff, but there's plenty out  there. 

• Like 1