Longest queue time at gate A?

bombfrog

Yeah, been in that gate D clusterfuck in the past (2010 and was baked by the time I got in), my son's mates have been caught up in it several years running.  D is fine if you're there early enough to get in the snaking barrier queue, but back behind that it all just falls into chaos and then you end up penned into the corner of a car park just waiting to get on the path to the gate.

It is honestly a better idea to do the walk to A, in my opinion.  The years I've ended up hemmed in at D I've always regretted the advice of people who set off to do just that hours previously, as I slowly shuffle forwards struggling with my shit in an ever more impatient crowd.

2016 we arrived around 12pm on the Weds and walked straight in through gate D. 2017, arrived earlier at 11am Weds and was warned about gate D waiting time. Ended up at gate A and was in by 1pm. Some friends arrived at gate A around 2pm and walked straight in. 

2017 was the year of extra security checks though so that may have been the cause. 

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Gate D's queue last year was an absolute motherfucker. It's pretty mental they left people hemmed in together there in that heat with no water or toilets for so long.

That’s partly because they diverted anyone arriving at Gate A to Gate D’s queue for a while. They weren’t letting anyone queue up alongside the fence at Gate A when I arrived at about 4:15am. It was chaos. 

I’ll be arriving around the same time this year. Hoping for a bit more organisation. I’m aware I could saunter in without much of a queue if I arrived a few hours later but getting there early is all part of the fun for me. 

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That’s partly because they diverted anyone arriving at Gate A to Gate D’s queue for a while. They weren’t letting anyone queue up alongside the fence at Gate A when I arrived at about 4:15am. It was chaos. 

I’ll be arriving around the same time this year. Hoping for a bit more organisation. I’m aware I could saunter in without much of a queue if I arrived a few hours later but getting there early is all part of the fun for me. 

We drive down from Manchester, and find that setting off early is a bit of a necessity, if we set off later then it can potentially double the time of our trip through having to sit in traffic forever.

Gate D in 2015 was an absolute nightmare, everyone just dicided zig-zagging was for squares and just all moved through the tape at once. 

Every other time I've queued at d it's been fine, just a queue really. Best way to get on site is stay in someone's campervan in the west CV field, you just walk in at 9ish. Think I queued behind 8 people.

3 hours ago, tumbles said:

So out of the choice of  A or D what are people thoughts? I've always gone D but found it hit and miss..

I personally find gate A more organised but had a few good experiences with easy entrance at D until last year. As they added a 2nd Alton towers snake queue which was soul destroying given it's never been there before..

I was like oh thank God we're through the snake queue on to the home straight only to be greeted by another hour long +plus snake queue (there's only 1 at A)

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Gate A wasn’t well organised last year. Not first thing, anyway. Nobody was even allowed to queue at it when I arrived! 

Yeah seems to be a theme across all gate due to the new security measures put in place - they don't need them

I'm speaking experience on other years were I felt it was better