Aiming for Gate D question

wairey

Hi all, first time Glasto goer here! My friends and I are aiming to camp in Paines and it seems like Gate D is the one to aim for. When driving, is it possible to choose which gate to aim for, or will we just be told which car park to aim for? We're going to be approaching from the West after a stop of at Glastonbury Tor on the way. Thanks for you help! 

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

The signs / traffic management generally guide you towards a particular gate depending on where you're coming from:

From the East / London - Gates B and C

From the North / West - Gate D

So you should be fine.

Due to last minute changes, my groups journey has gone from just going straight from Southport to Glastonbury, to going via Brighton.  Would you happen to know the easiest way to get to gate D coming from the east?

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Due to last minute changes, my groups journey has gone from just going straight from Southport to Glastonbury, to going via Brighton.  Would you happen to know the easiest way to get to gate D coming from the east?

You'll probably need some local knowledge here, dude. I live about 60mins away near Andover so I'm an EastCarParkerer.

I've only been in via Gate D once - the year there was a fire at a scrap yard and they diverted the traffic as there were pressure vessels (or something) near to the fire. 2008 / 09?

We got diverted south 'underneath' the site to PGD / West car parks - so maybe investigate that route? if you're coming from Brighton then that's probably gonna be easiest for you anyway.

Plus some roads just north of the site have restricted access / are closed.

Sorry not to be more help. 

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

You'll probably need some local knowledge here, dude. I live about 60mins away near Andover so I'm an EastCarParkerer.

I've only been in via Gate D once - the year there was a fire at a scrap yard and they diverted the traffic as there were pressure vessels (or something) near to the fire. 2008 / 09?

We got diverted south 'underneath' the site to PGD / West car parks - so maybe investigate that route? if you're coming from Brighton then that's probably gonna be easiest for you anyway.

Plus some roads just north of the site have restricted access / are closed.

Sorry not to be more help. 

It's all good! I will do some more researching!

3 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

just had a look on Google maps and it'd be a 40 min detour but could loop around the long way and go A303 > A372 > A361 just thinking it'd be easier a few miles away from the site to get around it rather than ending up stuck on a lane somewhere too close 

4 minutes ago, dan05delaney said:

just had a look on Google maps and it'd be a 40 min detour but could loop around the long way and go A303 > A372 > A361 just thinking it'd be easier a few miles away from the site to get around it rather than ending up stuck on a lane somewhere too close 

Cheers Dan, yeah I was looking at going A303 -> B3151 ->A361 so need to check if that road is closed off to non residents, otherwise I'd have to go the long way round on the A372.  

An extra 40 minutes isn't too bad though. I'd rather drive for an extra 40, than have to walk an extra mile or two with all my bags!

3 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Cheers Dan, yeah I was looking at going A303 -> B3151 ->A361 so need to check if that road is closed off to non residents, otherwise I'd have to go the long way round on the A372.  

An extra 40 minutes isn't too bad though. I'd rather drive for an extra 40, than have to walk an extra mile or two with all my bags!

This definitely works pal, been doing it for years. Road closures only come into play for the back lanes the closer you get to site.