Hay fever

kevbizarre

I find my hay fever is quite area-specific - it’s my local pollens than knacker me up. I was terrible in April/May and then I went to Scotland for a couple of weeks, it was magical to have my hayfever turned off for a period of time (and then reappear when I came back home!) 

• Like 1

There was another thread about this a couple of weeks ago I'll try and link it but I'm a bit useless at posting. Mine's absolutely killing me the past week but it seemed to be no bother at all in 2017. 

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/230250-any-glastonbury-compatible-hayfever-fixes/

Edited by AmazingAbby

4 minutes ago, AmazingAbby said:

There was another thread about this a couple of weeks ago I'll try and link it but I'm a bit useless at posting. Mine's absolutely killing me the past week but it seemed to be no bother at all in 2017. 

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/230250-any-glastonbury-compatible-hayfever-fixes/

Brilliant thanks!

Hayfever is subjective to the pollen you're allergic to. This time of year grass pollen is peaking. I have had hay fever at every glasto ive been to and im allergic to grass pollen.

On a side note this year is the first year in my life that I am not suffering! Its a big deal for me because ever since I can remember I have suffered badly from hayfever. Constantly sneezing and nose non stop running, eyes streaming, in halers etc. For some reason its not happening to me this year. 

13 minutes ago, jambla said:

Hayfever is subjective to the pollen you're allergic to. This time of year grass pollen is peaking. I have had hay fever at every glasto ive been to and im allergic to grass pollen.

On a side note this year is the first year in my life that I am not suffering! Its a big deal for me because ever since I can remember I have suffered badly from hayfever. Constantly sneezing and nose non stop running, eyes streaming, in halers etc. For some reason its not happening to me this year. 

Ah that makes sense as I’ve been fine for the last few years so mine is definitely specific. I am hoping a diet of mainly booze will somehow help reduce the symptoms 

Feel your pain.

Have had years when it was awful at Glastonbury - despite the weather, 2016 was probably the worst. Think that was the year The Wood opened and went to investigate - man, that was a bad move! Ruined the rest of the day for me.

The past few years, I’ve gone to have a Kenalog injection (costs £100) and it’s changed my summer life. Used to have them on the NHS when I was younger but they have stopped offering them now and go to a private clinic instead. Still top it up with Fexofendaine and eye drops every now and again - and will be taking those every day of the festival just to be sure!

2016 is the only year I've really suffered because of it... I ended up in the medical tent as I was so wheezy and couldn't open my eyes they were so puffy. I think it was down to them using hay on the walkways when they had run out of straw and woodchippings. 

I've been taking antihistamines for the last few days and will do the whole vaseline on my nose and eyes thing when I get on site. I really don't want a repeat of 2016 as it was fucking grim and the most miserable I've ever felt at a festival ever. 

No amount of glitter was covering this! ?

20190417_133949.jpg

Edited by Digi

I use Beconase nose spray, tablets, wash my face and eyes every now and again, wear sunglasses and don't over do things. This all helps me. And if I do start to get bad with it I have a good sit down to rest up for a while.

11 minutes ago, Digi said:

2016 is the only year I've really suffered because of it... I ended up in the medical tent as I was so wheezy and couldn't open my eyes they were so puffy. I think it was down to them using hay on the walkways when they had run out of straw and woodchippings. 

I've been taking antihistamines for the last few days and will do the whole vaseline on my nose and eyes thing when I get on site. I really don't want a repeat of 2016 as it was fucking grim and the most miserable I've ever felt at a festival ever. 

No amount of glitter was covering this! ?

20190417_133949.jpg

Sorry it was so bad for you!

That must be the reason why 2016 was so bad for it then - I was expecting it to be even worse in 2017 as it was a lot drier and dustier, but it was nowhere near as pollen-y.

Thought I avoided it this year. It’s been getting less and less prominent as the years go by but how wrong I was. Went for a run Thursday morn before work and there was a lot of grass on the verge right level with my eyes. Never had it so bad. 

Luckily had eye drops and beconase in the house but don’t think I stopped itching and sneezing and eyes blood shot and red all day. Everyone in work asking if I was okay as it looked like I’d been crying. 

I swear by beconase and opticrom eye drops. Nothing else seems to work, but I think hay fever is one of those things what works for you might not for others. You have to experiment. 

Edit: As for tips, try wear sun glasses as much as you can and Vaseline up your nose to try and block some pollen. 

Edited by D-Low

5 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Sorry it was so bad for you!

That must be the reason why 2016 was so bad for it then - I was expecting it to be even worse in 2017 as it was a lot drier and dustier, but it was nowhere near as pollen-y.

I think it was a combination of high pollen counts anyhow and then everyone walking on hey and releasing more spores in to the air. I listened to ELO from the medical tent whilst having a couple of nebulizers and being told to get myself packed up, off site and to Bristol A+E for some steroids. 

We were camped in Dairy and I just couldn't be arsed to walk back to our tent so drank cider bus cider instead and went to the best party I've ever been to which was Coldplay... and I always hated Coldplay! ?

Left around 7am the next morning as I was pretty much back to normal by the time we hit the first services on the M5

Being allergic to Glastonbury would just be fucking devastating! 

I've had severe hayfever since childhood and one year the Dr prescribed prednisolone steroids as a last result for Glastonbury. It totally got rid of it but you can only take them for a short period of time or the side effects can be catastrophic. I've since had immunotherapy via tablets and injects at the hospital and this has improved how the severity of it as before I couldn't leave the house for days it made me so ill.

I've suffered with bad hayfever all my life I bought this stuff about 2 years ago and its been a real life saver. I cant recommend it enough

http://www.piriallergy.com/product-range/pirinase.html

I've tried other nasal sprays in the past but this stuff is the best thing ever. I've not suffered bad at all this year until my eyes have been a little streamy at the weekend but got drops for that.

A couple of tips I have:

1) Keep washing your hands and splashing your face with cold water throughout the day. Wash your hands and face before you go to bed.
2) If you're taking a pillow from home, keep the pillow case packed in your bag and then put the case in a plastic bag when carrying it in. Stops it picking up pollen on your walk in. 

44 minutes ago, Divein said:

I've suffered with bad hayfever all my life I bought this stuff about 2 years ago and its been a real life saver. I cant recommend it enough

Yep, pirinase is the best one for me. But you can only use it for a couple of weeks so I use it to cover Glastonbury then back to the beconase for the rest of the summer.

8 minutes ago, Divein said:

Why can you only use it for a couple of weeks?! 

Can't remember if it was the leaflet or the pharmacist who informed me that it shouldn't be used for a long period of time. I can't remember the reason either, it was years ago. Something to do with what's in it.

Sorry, that's not very helpful. 

#Edit - been having a look around online, seems they've relaxed a bit since I got/read the advice. Prolonged use can (rarely) cause issues with the body responding to physical stress (which is ringing a bell somewhere in my brain, that could be the info I remember).

Edited by MrHew

13 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Can't remember if it was the leaflet or the pharmacist who informed me that it shouldn't be used for a long period of time. I can't remember the reason either, it was years ago. Something to do with what's in it.

Sorry, that's not very helpful. 

It's fluticisone which is a corticosteroid. Using it excessively or for a prolonged period of time increases the risk of systemic absorption and also nosebleeds. Topical steroids are generally thought to thin the tissues of where they are being applied to if you use them for prolonged periods 

12 minutes ago, Digi said:

It's fluticisone which is a corticosteroid. Using it excessively or for a prolonged period of time increases the risk of systemic absorption and also nosebleeds. Topical steroids are generally thought to thin the tissues of where they are being applied to if you use them for prolonged periods 

YES! That's it! Thank you.