Any drummers here planning on jamming at the Stone Circle this year?

julesdude7

46 minutes ago, WStoner said:

Drums are in the 'prohibited items' list.  Is that what killed the drum circles at stone circle? :( seems an odd thing to ban?

The excessive use of nos, the noise it makes and the (I really hate to say it, I really do) the people it brings up is what killed the drum circles. I've been a steward in the king's meadow for 10 years now and even in that relatively short time the decline has been huge. I know I missed the "glory days" but even in my first year the stone cirlce drumming was my absolute favourite thing about the festival. These days my job sucks during the early hours, our time on shift is mostly spent trying to negotiate with people to not do it, or at least move along to somewhere else. Even when the Dalai Lama was there, in the middle of his speech, we had a group of people who just didn't care, they were there to sell balloons and we were getting in their way.

The king's meadow and the stone circle is a beautiful, wonderful place and it deserves to be treated better than it has been in recent years. I really hope that this year we will see a change and get some of it's soul back. The drummers were integral to that spirit 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Beergirl said:

Even when the Dalai Lama was there, in the middle of his speech, we had a group of people who just didn't care, they were there to sell balloons and we were getting in their way.

FFS! Have some respect. Nos is annoying for the farmer, i'm not going to pretend i'm perfect and haven't had one at glastonbury but doing one during that whilst somebody like the dali lama is there is bang out of order.

@Beergirlwhat you're saying is what I feared. The last time I went was in 2015 in which I noticed a real decline. 2014 I was right in their dancing amongst the jam until sunrise. I had been going up there every year to experience the same for 15 years prior to that - i first started going in 1997. It was an amazing and electric atmosphere. Are you moving people along who are doing nos or who are drumming, or both?

My post was really to try in some way to get something together again. If there are days now that have no drummers, which days do? I guess if there's any day that would it'd be Wednesday. I agree, it was probably up there with the best about the festival. I'd do a lot to help it return but I guess from what you're saying it's discouraged now?

@Pinhead oh yes when I first started going the fire jugglers were amazing. I miss those too, but first thing's first, I'd just like the jamming back.  

@august1I don't know. I have no idea who and how people arranged and got together in the past - whether it was just bring a drum and turn up not knowing anyone, or perhaps drummers from the Theatre and Circus areas coming in and starting it off, or perhaps a combination of the two. All I know is that we'd all like this back and I see no reason why it can't come back. It just needs to be kickstarted again.

Edited by julesdude7

We don't bother going there any more - too far for nothing much.

Back in the day it was amazing. In the 90s it was like time travelling to a 60s happening, and in the 2000s just a great atmosphere and loads of crazy shit going on. I particularly remember the night after Paul McCartney headlined in 2004, it was absolutely brilliant up there.

Make stone circle great again!

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

on this note - has anyone been to the sunday night drumming session at boomtown in the woods? probably the opposite vibe to what is described above, and will send you absolutely insane within about an hour - no coordination whatsoever!

Less jamming out on bongos and more ket heads smashing bins at boomtown.

I felt bad for all the stewards and security trying to stop people dragging all the bins up into the woods. 

5 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

I felt bad for all the stewards and security trying to stop people dragging all the bins up into the woods. 

It's not a typical day's work, is it?

"OK guys, tea breaks over, now get to the woods and round up some bin-smashing ket heads"

9 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

I was camped next to the woods so I had it going all night like a broken washing machine banging around - still fun in its own weird way though!

4 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Oddly one of my favourite bits of Boomtown. It sounds awful but is kinda just fun walking around the woods and seeing people going mental at some bins.

Saying that, I wouldn't want to be camped near that spot!