Women’s World Cup

Blank Expression

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Also, if it costs nothing be wise the screens are already there and nobody is interested in it then why exactly would anybody care if they whack it on?

Same reason they don't just whack on EastEnders, Big Brother or BabeStation... Because it's a music and performing arts festival.

Edited by jyoung

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I think you're massively underestimating how many people are on site on the Thursday night with little else to do except sit and drink cider. In 2004 everybody on site was in that field even those who don't give a shit about football.

I get what you’re saying but that’s because when the men’s team play in a major tournament it dominates the media. It’s absolutely huge and draws global audiences, people are interested in it outside of the festival and the truth is most people aren’t even close to being as interested about women’s. It’d be great way to spend an afternoon if that field was full but I just don’t see it happening. There’s also actually loads on Thursday, anyone struggling to find something to do is fucking blind.

Edited by jow95

3 minutes ago, jow95 said:

I get what you’re saying but that’s because when the men’s team play in a major tournament it dominates the media. It’s absolutely huge and draws global audiences, people are interested in it outside of the festival and the truth is most people aren’t even close to being as interested about women’s. It’d be great way to spend an afternoon if that field was full but I just don’t see it happening. There’s also actually loads on Thursday, anyone struggling to find something to do is fucking blind.

Im fairly sure the last time the festival showed men's home nations matches was in 2010. 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

? even more confused with this ?

Take a look at the Clashfinder and add up the capacities of all the venues which have music on. I reckon it can't be more than 20,000 people catered for in terms of entertainment.

Yes, there are non music based things to do, the viewing tower, the pier this year etc. Let's face it though, most people on the Thursday night are just walking around having a drink, sitting up on the hill or by the cider bus, they'd happily sit on the pyramid hill with a few ciders and watch the women's football I reckon.

55 minutes ago, Magma said:

They showed England Vs Germany on a big screen in a dedicated field when it fell on a main stage day in 2010.

Yes. they did. And it was a huge mistake.

Ever since then they've said, every time it's come up, that they're not going to show football matches.

It helped that there was no festival in 2012 or 2018, and that in 2014 and 2016 the England matches fell outside of the 5 Festival days so they've yet to actually have to put it into practice. But even before the match dates for 14 and 16 were confirmed, the festival had said up front that they would not be showing any potential games.

I’d love to see it on.  It would be a massive statement.  As a veteran of 2010 who made the mistake of going to England v Germany I would never sacrifice a band for the footie again but on a Thursday night?  Yeah, bring it on I say.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Ever since then they've said, every time it's come up, that they're not going to show football matches.

It helped that there was no festival in 2012 or 2018, and that in 2014 and 2016 the England matches fell outside of the 5 Festival days so they've yet to actually have to put it into practice. But even before the match dates for 14 and 16 were confirmed, the festival had said up front that they would not be showing any potential games.

I think it's a different conversation on a Weds or Thurs tbh. I can understand not doing the 2010 thing again with a match on Fri-Sun but with the main stages sitting idle, it never seemed to have a negative effect.

It would be an excellent statement for the festival to make and I think would have a great effect even outside of the fence. 

I usually watch every single game of the men's world cup and I remember them putting out a statement before 2014 saying they won't be showing any matches, even if England play. As it turned out we didn't get that far anyway. I've watched a lot of the women's world cup this time too and obviously see the merits in them showing it because I love football but I wouldn't say it's an act of inequality if they don't show it, considering they actively said they wouldn't show matches in the last men's tournament.

Personally I hope they show it - suspect it would attract a decent crowd on the Thursday and be a bit of a moment (like the 2004 game). For those saying it’s only of niche interest c. 18m people have watched the BBC’s coverage of the tournament so far (around 25% of the population) - I’d wager it’ll be more than 25% of Glasto attendees willing to watch before the music starts

2 hours ago, incident said:

I wasn’t there in 2010 - other than the fact we lost why was it considered a mistake?

3 hours ago, incident said:

2014 and 2016 would have involved them potentially playing Sat/Sun evenings while main stages were open, so it’s a much different proposition. It’s probably better to maintain a hard and fast rule but I think this would be a lot less hassle to sort out.

4 hours ago, incident said:

Not the same thing though, it's on a Thursday.

The year they showed England v Portugal on the Thursday night it was a great night, even though we lost.

I hope they do show the game somewhere but failing that I'll find a quiet spot somewhere and watch it on my phone with a few cans as I'd be wandering the site drinking anyway so will give me a chance for a sit down and a breather.

It might be a very long time before we have to worry about the men's game at GF:

IF, and that's a big IF, England perform as they should then we won't have this problem next year anyway. Their second round match will be in Dublin on the Tuesday afterwards. Because of the bizarre all over Europe nature of the Euros next year England are guaranteed to be in Group D when they qualify so you can work it out from there.

Then Qatar 2022 will be in the winter...

2024  - Fallow year?

2026 - USA, timing could be all over the place. I quite like the idea of England starting at 2am somewhere...

15 hours ago, Blank Expression said:

England are playing at 8pm on Thursday, I imagine the festival doesn’t have any plans to show it. But with the importance of equality in line ups and Glastonbury previously showing an England quarter I hope they do

If there is no ‘official’ outdoor screening I imagine T&C will be your best bet for this. 

8 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Only 3 people went to see Slash ?

He was great as well, considering how insanely busy the pyramid gets on a Sunday these days being able to lie down and watch Slash and Ray Davies as close as we were that year was amazing.