Women’s World Cup

Blank Expression

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I know the bar at Williams Green has screened sport at previous fests, but 8-10 on a Thursday is prime time for that place and I doubt they want to encourage even more punters down there.

Yeah I remember waiting for a mate in there in 2014 (I think) and Wimbledon was on in there

I am in England for a bit of pre-fest travel. Thought it would be fun to go to a pub to watch England - Cameroon. The pub I went to did have it on on a screen, but with the sound down and an Abba CD on. There was zero interest from the punters, even when England scored... It’s not an equal world just yet.

2 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

I am in England for a bit of pre-fest travel. Thought it would be fun to go to a pub to watch England - Cameroon. The pub I went to did have it on on a screen, but with the sound down and an Abba CD on. There was zero interest from the punters, even when England scored... It’s not an equal world just yet.

Nope, amazing progress so far but a very long way to go! 

29 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

They haven't shown football for years. Certainly not on large screens. Although I'm sure part of the rationale was that it would detract significantly from crowds at stages. I suppose that probably wouldn't be the case for women's football. 

WG had Euro 16 games on I recall.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Really? You could well be right, I remember going into Shepton mallet in 2014 to watch a game under the impression that nowhere was showing football after the festival had put a message on the website saying there wouldn't be screenings. 

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

While they may have shown something at some point, they definitely didn't show either of the games my friends were interested in - namely the Ireland games on the Wednesday evening and the Sunday early afternoon. Nowhere public on site did as far as they could tell (and they searched high and low) - but then it helped that the England games managed to avoid the 5 festival days so the demand was minimal.

As one of the poor unfortunates who made the mistake of watching football at Glastonbury 2010 - never again. Doesn't matter if it's men or women, it's a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

While they may have shown something at some point, they definitely didn't show either of the games my friends were interested in - namely the Ireland games on the Wednesday evening and the Sunday early afternoon. Nowhere public on site did as far as they could tell (and they searched high and low) - but then it helped that the England games managed to avoid the 5 festival days so the demand was minimal.

As one of the poor unfortunates who made the mistake of watching football at Glastonbury 2010 - never again. Doesn't matter if it's men or women, it's a bad idea.

It’s very possible they decided against showing any of the home nations, but I remember there being a game on during the day on Saturday.

1 hour ago, benc said:

Pretty sure Glastonbury changed the policy, no football. 

Phone? If data is good enough? Or head down to the Sec and party ?

Yea but some where should have it.. Or there's always a radio.. 

Just seen high lights of camaroon game.. Glad they won but terrible antics on the pitch.. 

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

They haven't shown football for years. Certainly not on large screens. Although I'm sure part of the rationale was that it would detract significantly from crowds at stages. I suppose that probably wouldn't be the case for women's football. 

They showed England Vs Germany on a big screen in a dedicated field when it fell on a main stage day in 2010.

Every time I've been at Glastonbury since 2000 and England men have played tournament football, it's been shown somewhere. Weds/Thurs on the Pyramid, Fri-Sun somewhere else. I wasn't there in '16, admittedly, so if it didn't happen there, that was the first one and there was no festival in '18.

Edited by Magma

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

who's going to win the battle of the world cup threads?  .... it's a definite 2-0 halftime lead to this one at the moment :) 

My thread can die, this one came first.

Anyway, the objections on here are fairly bizarre. Firstly, it's on the Thursday when there's very little else happening (unless you think 100,00+ people are going to fit into Williams Green and Stonebridge Bar) so it wouldn't detract from anything else.

Secondly, it's absolutely no effort for them to do it.

Thirdly, although TV audiences may not have been huge Glastonbury on a Thursday is a captive audience looking for something to do. The crowd would be MASSIVE.

Fourthly, Emily cares about stuff like this and would be keen to make that statement.

Fifthly, this is an England team in the quarter finals of the world cup! You may not care about women's football but the atmosphere would be amazing, especially if we win.

Edited by bombfrog
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

My thread can die, this one came first.

Anyway, the objections on here are fairly bizarre. Firstly, it's on the Thursday when there's very little else happening (unless you think 100,00+ people are going to fit into Williams Green and Stone ridge Bar) so it wouldn't detract from anything else.

Secondly, it's absolutely no effort for them to do it.

Thirdly, although TV audiences may not have been huge Glastonbury on a Thursday is a captive audience looking for something to do. The crowd would be MASSIVE.

Fourthly, Emily cares about stuff like this and would be keen to make that statement.

Fifthly, this is an England team in the quarter finals of the world cup! You may not care about women's football but the atmosphere would be amazing, especially if we win.

I agree with all your comments .. I just dont think it would be as massive as you think ... there is so much more to do and loads of new things this year ... dont think womens football has taken off to that extent yet ... maybe in 4 years time it might be a good idea .. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I agree with all your comments .. I just dont think it would be as massive as you think ... there is so much more to do and loads of new things this year ... dont think womens football has taken off to that extent yet ... maybe in 4 years time it might be a good idea .. 

I guess it depends where we set the bar in terms of it drawing a "big crowd". I reckon the field would be half full, even that:s a lot of people in my book.

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I guess it depends where we set the bar in terms of it drawing a "big crowd". I reckon the field would be half full, even that:s a lot of people in my book.

You’re living in a dream world if you think any field will be half full for the women’s World Cup quarter final IMO

2 minutes ago, jow95 said:

You’re living in a dream world if you think any field will be half full for the women’s World Cup quarter final IMO

I think you're massively underestimating how many people are on site on the Thursday night with little else to do except sit and drink cider. In 2004 everybody on site was in that field even those who don't give a shit about football.