Blood blister

jambla

Fuckin hell, that’s a bit of a brute. At least it’s not in too much of a load-bearing area on your foot, though. Now what I’d do, and lots of people would disagree, is to go for a bath and give it a decent soak. Then I’d pop it at the side, using something sharp and clean, and squeeze out any fluid that’s accumulated.

Then I’d immediately cover it with a compeed plaster. Don’t de-roof it, keep the skin there. Keep the compeed on for as long as it’ll stay on - 4-5 days, ideally - and it should be fine. I do loads of hiking and I’m very used to dealing with blisters, I hate the buggers! 

Edit: Ice them pretty regularly too - a bag of frozen peas on em for ten minutes a few times a day will help as well 

Edited by balti-pie
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jambla said:

Developed this blister after a long run yesterday. To pop or not before glasto??

IMG-20190623-WA0002.jpeg

I can hear it beckoning you to pop it, like the sirens calling to Ulysses, but you must stay strong and resist or it could become infected! My advice is to chain yourself to a ship mast until it has healed naturally 

Is it painful to walk on at the moment? Can you feel it being squeezed as you do so? If so then you need to pop it otherwise that area will just get bigger with the pressure of walking.

Sterilise whatever you use to pop it to avoid infection. Pop in more than one spot to make sure you’ve got it all (I had one like this and it went quite deep) and absolutely do not take the skin off or pop so much that you risk the skin coming loose. Disinfect area, let it dry then cover with biggest Compede you can get and leave it. Pack backup Compede and antibacterial stuff for Glasto.

Prevention is best with blisters so re-evaluate your footwear, shoelace tying, socks etc. to work out how it happened. Despite best efforts some are just more prone to it than others in which case tape your feet up for longer runs. Loads of YouTube videos on how to do this. 

If you pop it now you have 2-3 nights of healing in good, clean conditions before you hit the farm. It will be heaps better by then.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Much better popped and sealed in clean conditions than going off in your boot in the middle of the Fabio & Grooverider set on Thursday ??

Yes! Missed Fabio and Groove rider on the lineup. Will probably go, for some reason I havent ever been in the temple. something to do on the Thursday evening

31 minutes ago, jambla said:

Yes! Missed Fabio and Groove rider on the lineup. Will probably go, for some reason I havent ever been in the temple. something to do on the Thursday evening

The temple is great - highly recommended. The opening on Thursday is highly recommended.

Make a tiny little hole with a sterilised needle and let it drain. make a few little holes, if necessary. Don't 'pop' it, you don't want to damage the skin any more than necessary til it's healing underneath.

I developed a blood blister in the m*d of '16. Luckily it didn't get agonising til I was home. Or maybe the Glasto anaesthetic wore off.