Bar Prices?

Barneym

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

Do they not have that at every ground? I’ve only been to Lords and Hove (and a couple of local county grounds) and they’ve all been fine with alcohol being brought in for personal use. I’d presumed it was universal. 

The MCG and the WACA too, now I think about it 

Only for non-international games in England unfortunately. Think domestic T20 games too.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Ah ha! Ta ?? They could at least serve pints of something that isn’t Marstons slop then 

It was a bad choice - think all of the World Cup venues had to serve the same ICC approved beer.

County Grounds are normally a different matter - went to Worcester one time and drunk 7.2% cider on a 30c sunny day. Couldn’t remember anything of the second innings mind...

2 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

It was a bad choice - think all of the World Cup venues had to serve the same ICC approved beer.

County Grounds are normally a different matter - went to Worcester one time and drunk 7.2% cider on a 30c sunny day. Couldn’t remember anything of the second innings mind...

This is true, St Lawrences only serves Shepheard Neame as another example.

Beer choice at football matches is really variable as well.  Shrewsbury Town has a real ale stand with Shropshire Lad and Born and Bred for £3.30 a pint.  Chelsea have bottles of London Pride for some high price (£4.50-£5?) and Man U sold a bloody can of something awful for a similar price.

The pies on the other hand at Chelsea are fantastic, home-made style ones with proper pastry.  And Man U and Shrewsbury sell exactly the same ones as each other which are made in Stoke and aren't nearly so nice.

You probably didn't want to know that but still.

I’m lucky in that I’m a Spurs fan (no, I know, not lucky like that, obviously! ??) and we have pretty much the best choice of pints of beer in any stadium in the country: Amstel £4, Heineken £4.50, Beavertown neck oil £5, gamma ray £5.50. The Taproom has Lupuloid, 8 ball and Black Betty cans for a fiver too. Theyll start doing a Spurs-only Kolsch for £5 a pint soon and I can’t wait to give that a bash.

Food is really decent too - it’s like they’ve come to this amazing brand new realisation that if you give people nice facilities and don’t charge a fortune for it, we’re actually very likely to hang around and use them! 

Edit: the pies at Chelsea are Piglets pies aren’t they? Brighton and Spurs have them as well, they’re great 

Edited by balti-pie

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Luckily contactless is widespread now.

1 hour ago, The Red Telephone said:

Is this true for most bars now?

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think so.

with over 100 Bars and knowing the problems in the past with devices the WBC is running a trial this year at three of the smaller bars and they will be using a new ' hardwired scanning device ' that should make it easier but it is only a Limited trial - lots of the Bars cant afford that system so they will have to use handheld devices # some of which take 6 to 7 hours to fully charge and in the past there has been connection problems - its the middle of a field - I was at a Stones concert with @MrZigster at London Stadium (ex Olympic Stadium) and even in there ' slap bang in London ' some of the bars could not take any payments at all for a certain period of time # and they don't accept cash #  Even in Hyde Park where I have worked in various bars some of these devices just could not get a bloody connection so you would be strongly advised to take cash or come back in 10 years time.

23 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’m lucky in that I’m a Spurs fan (no, I know, not lucky like that, obviously! ??) and we have pretty much the best choice of pints of beer in any stadium in the country: Amstel £4, Heineken £4.50, Beavertown neck oil £5, gamma ray £5.50. The Taproom has Lupuloid, 8 ball and Black Betty cans for a fiver too. Theyll start doing a Spurs-only Kolsch for £5 a pint soon and I can’t wait to give that a bash.

Food is really decent too - it’s like they’ve come to this amazing brand new realisation that if you give people nice facilities and don’t charge a fortune for it, we’re actually very likely to hang around and use them! 

Edit: the pies at Chelsea are Piglets pies aren’t they? Brighton and Spurs have them as well, they’re great 

Mate, I’m a Coventry fan and so envious of your ground - and beer options! - not even playing at our own ground next year!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

with over 100 Bars and knowing the problems in the past with devices the WBC is running a trial this year at three of the smaller bars and they will be using a new ' hardwired scanning device ' that should make it easier but it is only a Limited trial - lots of the Bars cant afford that system so they will have to use handheld devices # some of which take 6 to 7 hours to fully charge and in the past there has been connection problems - its the middle of a field - I was at a Stones concert with @MrZigster at London Stadium (ex Olympic Stadium) and even in there ' slap bang in London ' some of the bars could not take any payments at all for a certain period of time # and they don't accept cash #  Even in Hyde Park where I have worked in various bars some of these devices just could not get a bloody connection so you would be strongly advised to take cash or come back in 10 years time.

Thanks @glasto-worker

Am definitely trying to save cash for the bars and hopefully use card for souvenirs/ food when possible. Have you any idea yet which bars will use the new technology?

29 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I think you're  right about the pies.  The  other food is nice too - though not cheap but so much better than the dodgy hot dogs etc of the past!.  Draft real ale made an appearance a couple of seasons back but hasn't been since unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Another crucially important question - will there be stainless steel pint glasses again?

I lost mine when I moved house and although my friends have a few, they don't trust me not to lose them! (Which is probably a legit concern)

Yes.There will be 10,000 steel cups available from all 37 WaterAid kiosks and from the Bimble Inn for a £5 deposit, but NOT from other bars. If you want your deposit back you need to go to one of the information points. If you already have one from previous years you can use it again (and get your £5 back at the end if you want).

Other cups at bars will be compostable paper ones.

There are 5,000 limited edition water bottles available from WaterAid kiosks and info points for £15. They are double insulated to keep liquids hot and cold. These are in addition to the 10,000 standard £10 water bottles. These are also available from WaterAid kiosks and also for collection of any pre-orders. To collect a pre-order you will need the voucher on your ticket. No ticket - no bottle(s).

40 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Thanks @glasto-worker

Am definitely trying to save cash for the bars and hopefully use card for souvenirs/ food when possible. Have you any idea yet which bars will use the new technology?

Sorry No they did list them at the last Organiser meeting but as I already knew my Team would be working in the Crew Bar { which is cash only } it did not affect us - as far as I Know they wont use them in the large counter bars due to the expense of the equipment so they will be in smaller bars - they should be dead easy to spot as it wont be the hand held devices you see in common use. 

50 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Mate, I’m a Coventry fan and so envious of your ground - and beer options! - not even playing at our own ground next year!

Oh Christ, you are doing it hard at the mo. I’m glad common sense prevailed partly in allowing you a groundshare at Brum City - the least worst option, compared with being bunged out of the league. I hope Wasps and the ground owners can at least try and stop being such thunderous pricks. Good luck with it ??