Future Headliners?

madmaninabox

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

IDLES will headline R&L for sure in the not too distant future, I think. No chance of Download, though. 

Nah. They'll climb the lineups a little bit more but I really can't see them reaching headliner status at the big'uns. Maybe third down next time they play before the masses stop caring and move on.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Nah. They'll climb the lineups a little bit more but I really can't see them reaching headliner status at the big'uns. Maybe third down next time they play before the masses stop caring and move on.

There isn't much more of a climb to be had. I'd argue they've shifted enough tickets to do it right away.

12 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

IDLES will headline DL but I'd agree that it won't be before R&L. They don't see themselves as a DL band but they are, and I think DL would offer enough for em to take it.

I’d bet good money that Idles won’t be headlining Download, or any of the major fests. They have a big following, but not nearly major festival headliner size, and their brand of music has a roof on just how popular they can get. I mean, are they really gonna gain many new fans with the new album? Everybody who’s in to that kind of stuff is obviously aware of and made a decision on them by now, surely? Third down R/L next album and then staying around that level until they peter out IMO.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d bet good money that Idles won’t be headlining Download, or any of the major fests. They have a big following, but not nearly major festival headliner size, and their brand of music has a roof on just how popular they can get. I mean, are they really gonna gain many new fans with the new album? Everybody who’s in to that kind of stuff is obviously aware of and made a decision on them by now, surely? Third down R/L next album and then staying around that level until they peter out IMO.

I'm not so sure as I know people whom are fans of similar stuff but don't know of IDLES until I've mentioned them a months ago when asking if they wanted to go to the Alley Palley show.

Whilst they are never gonna be a stadium act I can see them getting to headlining festivals, I mean Download's headliners are not often stadium acts anyway.

7 minutes ago, jump said:

I'm not so sure as I know people whom are fans of similar stuff but don't know of IDLES until I've mentioned them a months ago when asking if they wanted to go to the Alley Palley show.

Whilst they are never gonna be a stadium act I can see them getting to headlining festivals, I mean Download's headliners are not often stadium acts anyway.

The same Download that has allowed other rising possible headliners completely pass them by in favour of the same old dinosaur acts? I just don't see it, and also really don't see Idles particularly wanting to headline a festival like Download. Just not a good fit imo, in the same way that a lot of bands play lower down and then stop appearing once they gain momentum/size. Think they'll reach their limits with headlining mid-sized festivals.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The same Download that has allowed other rising possible headliners completely pass them by in favour of the same old dinosaur acts? I just don't see it, and also really don't see Idles particularly wanting to headline a festival like Download. Just not a good fit imo, in the same way that a lot of bands play lower down and then stop appearing once they gain momentum/size. Think they'll reach their limits with headlining mid-sized festivals.

That's two different points.

Download favouring dinosaurs well yeah, only a handful (if any) acts will be bumped up mostly due to a forced hand of having no one else, unless they downsize and have a mini-Friday to get around it. They can't even rely on other fests to bump up acts for them as the other rock fests are either too small or are mainland Europe based which has other bands like for example Volbeat or Die Toten Hosen in their pools. I do find it funny they held off bumping up Biffy to headliner despite having multiple chances to until way after they peaked and it just felt like a flat booking.

However hypothetically if Download were to book non-dinosaurs then I could see IDLES eventually do it as they seem more likely to stay relevant and have more momentum than past hopefuls like Bullet For My Valentine who fizzled out.

Royal Blood maybe?

Nine Inch Nails to be bumped up?

Parkway Drive seem like they are definitely on track to do it. Idles are growing extremely quickly but could they have peaked too soon?

Also they should just get Pearl Jam and be done with it. Such a logical headliner which appeals to pretty much everyone

1 hour ago, a6l6e6x said:

Royal Blood maybe?

Nine Inch Nails to be bumped up?

Parkway Drive seem like they are definitely on track to do it. Idles are growing extremely quickly but could they have peaked too soon?

Also they should just get Pearl Jam and be done with it. Such a logical headliner which appeals to pretty much everyone

Nine Inch Nails have never played so its not really a bump up. And yes, they should headline.

Royal Blood are not a band the average metal fan listens too. Muse worked as alot of people in their late 20s and 30s (who make a large portion of the Download demographic) listened to them growing up when Plug In Baby was a rock club standard. Biffy Clyro was rather forced, alot of people checked them out simply because they were there.

Edited by Spiral_Low

On 10/8/2019 at 11:43 AM, Spiral_Low said:

Nine Inch Nails have never played so its not really a bump up. And yes, they should headline.

Royal Blood are not a band the average metal fan listens too. Muse worked as alot of people in their late 20s and 30s (who make a large portion of the Download demographic) listened to them growing up when Plug In Baby was a rock club standard. Biffy Clyro was rather forced, alot of people checked them out simply because they were there.

Not to mention them being fucking massive and having headlined major festivals before.

1 hour ago, Traher666 said:

Not to mention them being fucking massive and having headlined major festivals before.

I don't think they have in the UK tho, they subbed R&L and Sonisphere in the UK. The only spots I remember seeing them play in mainland Europe was as a sub for Rock am Ring. 

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they were announced as headliners though.

52 minutes ago, jump said:

I don't think they have in the UK tho, they subbed R&L and Sonisphere in the UK. The only spots I remember seeing them play in mainland Europe was as a sub for Rock am Ring. 

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they were announced as headliners though.

Yeah, after I posted I realised they didn't headline Reading, so, they could be a possibility for Download in the future I guess.

I’d love Nine Inch Nails to headline but I think they are not as big now as they were when they sub-headlined Sonisphere and Reading (twice)

Also, I’m sure I read that their last tour didn’t sell as well as expected but I can’t be sure if that is true.

They’d definitely bring some extra punters through the door though, it was clear at Reading a few years ago that loads had come just for them.

Edited by rivalschools.price

6 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’d love Nine Inch Nails to headline but I think they are not as big now as they were when they sub-headlined Sonisphere and Reading (twice)

Also, I’m sure I read that their last tour didn’t sell as well as expected but I can’t be sure if that is true.

They’d definitely bring some extra punters through the door though, it was clear at Reading a few years ago that loads had come just for them.

Oh yeah i'd forgotten about their 2nd one at Reading. I was at the 1st one in 2007.

6 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I'm pretty sure their last 3 UK tours all had sold out London dates, last year were all instant sell outs although they were smaller venues due to NIN taking part in Robert Smith curated Meltdown festival and a last min date added for the Royal Albert Hall as so many people couldn't get tixs, I was so fucking annoyed I couldn't get tixs either of those myself.

Apparently they have been offered a headline slot at All Points East next year.

• 1 month later...

Bring Me The Horizon, Parkway Drive, Five Finger Death Punch, Ghost, Volbeat, Sabaton, Greta Van Fleet: all fit to be headliners!

About Gojira, Architects, A Day To Remember, Bullet For My Valentine, KoRn, Steel Panther and Alter Bridge, even if I love all these bands, I don't see them go higher than sub-headliners for me.