Future Headliners?

madmaninabox

Who do people think could make the step up to headliner in the next 10 years or so?

Already Headlined Sized But Not Played

Blink 182

Bring Me the Horizon

Fall Out Boy

Foo Fighters

Green Day

Pearl Jam

Paramore

Royal Blood

Queen + Adam Lambert

Queens of the Stone

The Rolling Stones (probably not gonna happen)

Van Halen

The Who (probably not gonna happen)

Could Move to Headliner Size in Next 10 Years

A Day to Remember

Alter Bridge

Architects

Korn

Enter Shikari

Five Finger Death Punch

Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes (just seems to get bigger)

Gojira

Greta Van Fleet (if they maintain momentum on their next album even though I think there shit)

Halestorm

Nine Inch Nails

Parkway Drive

Skindred

Stone Sour

Within Temptation (possibly)

already headline size but haven't played yet

-Green Day

-Foo Fighters

-Pearl Jam

-Nine Inch Nails

-Paramore

-Van Halen (if they even still together)

-Queen + Adam Lambert

-Bring Me The Horizon

-Fall Out Boy

-Queens Of The Stone Age

could be moved to headline size

-Alter Bridge

-Parkway Drive

-A Day To Remember

-Greta Van Fleet

-Architects

-Halestorm

-Ghost

-Five Finger Death Punch

-Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes

-Gojira

not really headline size but can appear if there's no other options

-Korn

-Deftones

-Royal Blood

-Disturbed

other big names in rock that may appear but i don't think they will

-The Cure

-Rolling Stones

-The Who

-Bon Jovi

I'd agree with OP's apart from Skindred and Shikari who have both at least peaked, Within Tempatition also for sure, and I wouldn't completely rule out Stone Sour headlining it but that's bad times for Download if they do. A few of them I wouldn't expect also but I guess they mostly have a chance.

You missed off Bon Jovi, and then maybe BSC sadly.

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

I doubt they'll ever be able to headline, but it'd be interesting to see how big Code Orange get to with a sound like theirs.

2nd stage headliner at absolute most.

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I'd agree with OP's apart from Skindred and Shikari who have both at least peaked, Within Tempatition also for sure, and I wouldn't completely rule out Stone Sour headlining it but that's bad times for Download if they do. A few of them I wouldn't expect also but I guess they mostly have a chance.

You missed off Bon Jovi, and then maybe BSC sadly.

Shikari's set on avalanche was literally rammed though - dangerously so, so there live reputation is still carrying them. If they release a new album I can't see them booked any lower than 2nd stage headliner after that.And it was a mixture of fans of their old stuff from the Sorry You're Not A Winner Days and new stuff from The Spark. This bearing in mind they're nearly two years into a touring cycle and have already played venues big and small across the country.  There latest album was top 5, but yeah I can see why they would struggle to gain any momentum upwards from where they are. 

Probably a stretch for them to get up to headline status without a completely left-field breakthrough though admittedly. 

I think all of the following will headline one day:

KoRn - they already pull headliner sized crowds. There is plenty of good will towards them and they’re in the form of their career live. I think they’re there on the next album. 

A Day To Remember - probably (and hopefully) next year. 

Bring Me The Horizon - smashed APE. Copping commented last weekend that he still sees them as a future headliner.

Parkway Drive - one more album and they’ll sub, I think. After that, yeah. 

Volbeat - drew a gigantic crowd in 2018. I can definitely see it happening. 

Ghost - they’re made for it. And they’ve stayed away. 

Architects - possibly the UK’s biggest headline hope. They’re just getting bigger and bigger all the time. 

Alter Bridge - if they sell that tour well that they’ve got coming up then there can be zero doubt. 

Trivium - this is the one that might raise the most eyebrows. Hear me out. I really do think it’ll happen. They’ve climbed back up higher than they’ve ever been. I think they need another cracking album on the bounce (something they’ve struggled with) but the good will is there now. Their set this year was packed and it felt like a real homecoming, a celebration. I think they will undoubtedly sub next time they play and I think once more of the old guard retire, they will be a legit headline option. 

Nightwish - *shudders* 

Edited by Andre91
  • Downvote 1

Trivium is my favorite band but they just got smaller since 2013. in 2008 they played in UK co-headlining with Slayer and headlined 2nd in Download the year after but after that it was all downhill, except for another 2nd headlining set in 2014 but it was because Andy didn't got anyone bigger to this spot. Don't think they can headline one day anymore, and to think that in 2006-2008 they were called "the next Metallica".

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

Trivium is my favorite band but they just got smaller since 2013. in 2008 they played in UK co-headlining with Slayer and headlined 2nd in Download the year after but after that it was all downhill, except for another 2nd headlining set in 2014 but it was because Andy didn't got anyone bigger to this spot. Don't think they can headline one day anymore, and to think that in 2006-2008 they were called "the next Metallica".

They dipped down significantly after poor albums like Vengeance Falls and Silence In The Snow but they’ve climbed back up on this cycle massively. 

That Slayer tour was also packaged with Mastodon. They sold out Brixton on their last tour with a trio of really young, up and coming bands in support, not the second biggest thrash metal band of all time and one of the most consistent and critically lauded metal bands on the planet. Brixton is more or less the same size as the Apollo which they played on that Slayer tour. 

They just played third down Download’s main stage which is higher than they’ve ever been before. Their crowd was absolutely massive. 

They’re more revered now than they ever have been. The Sin and The Sentence cycle has done wonders for them. I can absolutely see them playing an Ally Pally or a Wembley on their next tour. 

All of your above points are valid for Bullet For My Valentine, though. Thank god they’ve dropped off as hard as they have. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anyone think Mastodon could get around there? Like they could probably do Wembley by this point if they wanted, and with a reputation as solid as theirs, I reckon they might consistently pick up new fans even if their output doesn’t hugely improve. Surely anyone just getting into metal is gonna come across them at some point. Wouldn’t be expecting it, but are they worth completely ruling out? 

40 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Anyone think Mastodon could get around there? Like they could probably do Wembley by this point if they wanted, and with a reputation as solid as theirs, I reckon they might consistently pick up new fans even if their output doesn’t hugely improve. Surely anyone just getting into metal is gonna come across them at some point. Wouldn’t be expecting it, but are they worth completely ruling out? 

No ones completely worth ruling out but can't see Mastodon.

Parkway Drive, ADTR, Ghost, Architects and Korn are the obvious ones that jump out to me over the next few years to step up.

Of existing headliner sized bands I imagine Foo Fighters, Green Day, QOTSA and Blink will all probably do it in the next 5-10 years as the 'big' headliner pool grows shorter. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd chuck King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard, Scarlxrd, Slayer, Thirty Seconds To Mars, Nickelback and Stereophonics as possible names that haven't been mentioned in the thread already. I only see Slayer on a comeback in a few years time as a real contender from whom I've named though.

Also Sex Pistols if they do yet another reunion.

Edited by jump

3 hours ago, jump said:

I'd chuck King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard, Scarlxrd, Slayer, Thirty Seconds To Mars, Nickelback and Stereophonics as possible names that haven't been mentioned in the thread already. I only see Slayer on a comeback in a few years time as a real contender from whom I've named though.

Is this....a joke?

3 hours ago, jump said:

Eh? This isn’t serious, right? :lol: 

The only band I can see them pushing within the next 5 years is Ghost.