What a great time for me to suddenly go fucking deaf

Amy Lawn

2 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Some days I laugh it off, others I am more sensitive, today is one of the sensitive days after having asked the bloke in the local Co-op to repeat what he said explaining because I am deaf, to be met with him cupping his ear and shouting pardon loudly in a packed shop,  looking at the queue like he was a stand up comic expecting applause. I felt like bursting into tears.

So yes, I understand where you and others are coming from but it really can be rather tiresome.

Yeah, that's properly abusive. Horrible behaviour. I get it now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry about that. I'm currently undergoing a round of testing for my hearing loss + tinnitus. I understand that if I can still laugh about it, others with worse conditions may not be able to.

Thanks, and no need to apologise,  just me on a downer! Deafness is really really rubbish and I wish you well with your results. As a lifelong lover of music the worst thing is that I can't actually work out the lyrics of new acts, Arctic Monkeys were probably the last band whose lyrics I understood, solely because I lived within a few miles of them and got the dialect. I love lyrics.....

17 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Get thee to Superdrug and spend £8 on this....sit in the bath and use the warm water to gently irrigate....if you've softened with olive oil etc already the blockage should come right out. 

Did mine the other week....wirked a treat ?

912uJA1ICaL._SL1500_.jpg

This has put my right ear back in business!

Bought it on your recommandation and praise the lord sir, righty is cured! I owe you a pint on Wednesday

Let's see what it can do for Mr Left.

20 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Bought it on your recommandation and praise the lord sir, righty is cured! I owe you a pint on Wednesday

Excellent result....ill take a rain check on the pint as I'll not be there this week ?

Hope you have an absolutely banging time ?

23 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone who still has any vocal power left by the Sunday hasn't really been giving Glastonbury enough welly.

Fucks sake. Although I have reluctantly accepted that my first monthly review meeting of my new job has to be on the Tuesday after Glastonbury, I had not factored in the fact that I'll most definitely still be sounding like Pat Butcher. 

My vocal chords rarely make it to Saturday morning without being totally fucked. 

56 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Don’t go mental with it, no matter how orgasmically seductive it is feeling / hearing the stuff fizz, pop, crackle and burrow through the wax into your ear like some sort of demented ear wax munching demon.

I overused mine, pre-syringing, and made my ear canal really effing sore. 

3 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Excellent result....ill take a rain check on the pint as I'll not be there this week ?

Hope you have an absolutely banging time ?

? Shit man! This year is a fucking massacre for regulars not getting tickets. I only just saw FloorFiller didn't get one either. Feel insanely guilty for not being able to help out in the resales, but I was in the pictures like a dickhead when they were going on.

If it's any consolation, it's not a stellar line-up this year, unless you love Miley Cyrus (which I do) and unless Lauryn Hill is on form (which I really hope she is). I'll buy you that beer in 2020 then, anniversary year is when all the proper good shit is gonna go off anyway.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Some days I laugh it off, others I am more sensitive, today is one of the sensitive days after having asked the bloke in the local Co-op to repeat what he said explaining because I am deaf, to be met with him cupping his ear and shouting pardon loudly in a packed shop,  looking at the queue like he was a stand up comic expecting applause. I felt like bursting into tears.

So yes, I understand where you and others are coming from but it really can be rather tiresome.

Yeah, sorry StoneCircle. Maybe I was being a bit cavalier about my own attitude. I hear what you are saying about the bloke at the check out at the shops. That's just obnoxious, as well as rude and ill considered. However, that's my point, in that he was quite happy for you to be victim, in his search for a communal laugh. So, his  intent was dishonourable. The bloke was a thick weigh anchor. 

Anyway, hope you are feeling better today. :)

• Like 1

I've got bloody Superman hearing all of a sudden! This is incredible! You know when I posted that I'd cleaned out the right ear? Turned out I actually hadn't, it was just better and I was used to being blocked. I was working on the left ear and all of a sudden I heard this fucking almighty racket and I thought oh shit I've burst my eardrum and given myself tinnitus, this was a terrible idea why did I do this. Then I realised it was an external sound, and it was the washing machine downstairs and holy fuck I can hear everything in the known universe with this ear. I got working on the right ear again and now there's Superman hearing in that one too! 

This is actually a little bit terrifying how much I can hear and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to sleep because turns out the world is LOUD AF

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I've got bloody Superman hearing all of a sudden! This is incredible! You know when I posted that I'd cleaned out the right ear? Turned out I actually hadn't, it was just better and I was used to being blocked. I was working on the left ear and all of a sudden I heard this fucking almighty racket and I thought oh shit I've burst my eardrum and given myself tinnitus, this was a terrible idea why did I do this. Then I realised it was an external sound, and it was the washing machine downstairs and holy fuck I can hear everything in the known universe with this ear. I got working on the right ear again and now there's Superman hearing in that one too! 

This is actually a little bit terrifying how much I can hear and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to sleep because turns out the world is LOUD AF

Can you hear what I'm saying about you right now?

17 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

That development is bat shit crazy, man. You should seriously consider farming out your newly honed skills to the highest bidders. Just ride the lot of them senseless by submitting extravagant invoices for your hourly service. I'd say that there's great potential for you to be snapped up by this country's secret services, at the very least. Once in with them, it'll be a short hop to complete mastery over the civil service. Once you topple that, you'll be 'the man'. People will swoon at your feet, and ask you to bless them and their inadequate ears. I wish you and your Joddrels all the very best at this years Glastonbury. :)

26 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I am totally buying one of these next time I'm at the shops.

7 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Also buying eye bleach.

• Upvote 1

Yeah don't poke with cotton buds. Only good for teasing out something already there and stuck to the side, don't go deep it just makes things worse

Water's much more satisfying feeling

Glad to hear your ears have been sorted - get some decent earplugs and take care of them! </mum>

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Amazing news well done!