What a great time for me to suddenly go fucking deaf

Amy Lawn

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

That's what's happening in my life at the moment. Timing couldn't be better, obviously.

Gonna go sit in the GP's office on Monday until they get me back again. If not, I'll be walking around the meet on Wednesday going WHAT?

The universe has got a great sense of humour.

Did capitalising your user name not help?

Seriously, sympathies, hope things improve pre Fest

If all else fails, head up to the medical centre at big ground when you arrive. Sure there’ll be someone there who can sort you out.

My mate broke a tooth last time, they booked him in for the next day and he had a tooth extraction on site - sure a bit of ear wax will be no bother!

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

That's what's happening in my life at the moment. Timing couldn't be better, obviously.

Gonna go sit in the GP's office on Monday until they get me back again. If not, I'll be walking around the meet on Wednesday going WHAT?

I've recently developed hearing problems. cause is excessive music over prolonged period... 

been waiting on a full hearing test, got the letter day before yesterday.

had to call them and ask them to move it because im going to glastonbury ?

@GETOFFAMYLAWN I had a similar issue a few years back. I tried every kind of ear drop on the market and eventually ordered myself this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AcuLife-Ear-Wax-Removal-Syringe/dp/B000SOJXGA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=X9F6LXQA7BP8&keywords=ear+syringe&qid=1561222534&s=gateway&sprefix=ear+syrin%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

I used this to syringe my own ears with warm water as per the instructions. The syringe does not spray water down the ear canal as the holes are designed to flush the water back out your ear, catching the wax en route. TBH I was horrified what came out of my ear! It helps if you use ear drops to soften the wax first.

Edited by ledwards

Hope it's as simple as it sounds like it could be. I had a very similar experience trying to use drops when my ears got very gunky - I was spending 8 hours a day with headphones in at this point so got quite gross but it builds up and catches you out.

Put the drops in and best I can tell everything expanded into a much more effective earplug. Took a lot of times around rinsing with water, massaging where you can get to it behind your ear with a finger just to move things a bit and repeating but when the last bits came off :o oh sweet agony. A little oil fixed it

Hearing clarity was amazing after so long gunky.

Also lost all hearing in my left only for 3 days when I was all fluey and mostly too sick to care, but could tell what did that.

UPDATE

received_648135522356103.thumb.jpeg.2c91ac687fc3325747d0a41b5e517978.jpeg

This tiny circle of black fabric dropped out of the right ear with the latest round of drops. Don't know what it is or how it got in. Who the fuck know what I'll find in the other one!

Right ear not completely clear but feeling much much better now. I can now hold a conversation and open my mouth knowing how loud I'm speaking. This is a great development.

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

As a severely deaf person please do try and get professional advice ASAP,  I woke up totally deaf to words (I can hear sound but words are muffled) in one ear in 2005 and the other is going the same way. I wear hearing aids which help but I feel rather isolated a lot of the time. Mine surprisingly is not music related, I have Menieres Disease. Thankfully, Glastonbury (and other festivals) is the one place I can still enjoy live music.

Saddened to see that some posters on here find it funny to ridicule deafness, hearing loss is not a laughing matter, it's a disability which needs to be shown more respect. I have a total sense of humour failure on this subject having heard too many "pardons" etc in my time. 

Edited by StoneCircle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

UPDATE

received_648135522356103.thumb.jpeg.2c91ac687fc3325747d0a41b5e517978.jpeg

This tiny circle of black fabric dropped out of the right ear with the latest round of drops. Don't know what it is or how it got in. Who the fuck know what I'll find in the other one!

Right ear not completely clear but feeling much much better now. I can now hold a conversation and open my mouth knowing how loud I'm speaking. This is a great development.

That looks like the little piece of mesh that sits in the middle of in-ear headphones.

This happens to me all the time, the wax builds up, especially if you're ramming it down there with a cotton bud. It becomes "fully occluded" as they say, which means they can't see the ear drum then if you use ear drops it all squidges together and all of a sudden you can't hear anything. It hurts too because the pressure does weird things once it can't equal out.

The bad news is that if you want it done on the NHS you'll have to wait and they'll do it with a warm water based syringing method. They'll want you to use drops or olive oil (which works just as well) to soften them up for 7 days first.

The hood news is that there are private clinics all over the place that use a different method which is like a tiny high pressure vacuum cleaner, the Dyson handblade of ear syringes if you like. It requires no pre-softening and if your local clinic is as nice as mine they'll fit you in on Monday if you tell them it's an emergency. At my place it costs £70. Not sure what it's called (something like micro-suction) but just search for hearing clinic.

Good luck.

58 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Saddened to see that some posters on here find it funny to ridicule deafness, hearing loss is not a laughing matter, it's a disability which needs to be shown more respect. I have a total sense of humour failure on this subject having heard too many "pardons" etc in my time. 

@ StoneCircle - I respect you. Always have, and hope that it continues in to the future. That said, I have to confess to being pretty anti anti in my life. I continuously miss out on full conversations because I just can't hear / clarify what it is people are saying. So, although not registered as deaf (because that would be inaccurate and false) I also suffer with hearing. However, to me (and I know that that is limited to one person), I couldn't care less if somebody made a joke out of my lack of ability to hear everything - as long as the humour was actually humorous, and not actually spiteful. 

I don't think that you, me or anybody should be bothered if someone takes the piss out of an ailment or two of ours, as long as the intent was to be humorous, and not malicious. 

Just sayin'. Hope that you understand where I'm coming from. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

@ StoneCircle - I respect you. Always have, and hope that it continues in to the future. That said, I have to confess to being pretty anti anti in my life. I continuously miss out on full conversations because I just can't hear / clarify what it is people are saying. So, although not registered as deaf (because that would be inaccurate and false) I also suffer with hearing. However, to me (and I know that that is limited to one person), I couldn't care less if somebody made a joke out of my lack of ability to hear everything - as long as the humour was actually humorous, and not actually spiteful. 

I don't think that you, me or anybody should be bothered if someone takes the piss out of an ailment or two of ours, as long as the intent was to be humorous, and not malicious. 

Just sayin'. Hope that you understand where I'm coming from. 

Some days I laugh it off, others I am more sensitive, today is one of the sensitive days after having asked the bloke in the local Co-op to repeat what he said explaining because I am deaf, to be met with him cupping his ear and shouting pardon loudly in a packed shop,  looking at the queue like he was a stand up comic expecting applause. I felt like bursting into tears.

So yes, I understand where you and others are coming from but it really can be rather tiresome.

29 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Some days I laugh it off, others I am more sensitive, today is one of the sensitive days after having asked the bloke in the local Co-op to repeat what he said explaining because I am deaf, to be met with him cupping his ear and shouting pardon loudly in a packed shop,  looking at the queue like he was a stand up comic expecting applause. I felt like bursting into tears.

So yes, I understand where you and others are coming from but it really can be rather tiresome.

So sorry if my comment caused offence. It wasn't aimed at hearing loss but at the amateur hour remedies to an organ that needs to be treated with care. Again, sorry.

2 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

So sorry if my comment caused offence. It wasn't aimed at hearing loss but at the amateur hour remedies to an organ that needs to be treated with care. Again, sorry.

No worries, just having an overly sensitive day! 

2 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

You're right, a lot of this thread has been in bad taste and offensive and we should know much better. I sincerely apologise to you and anybody else affected for my part in this.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You're right, a lot of this thread has been in bad taste and offensive and we should know much better. I sincerely apologise to you and anybody else affected for my part in this.

It's possibly me being overly sensitive - some days it gets to you more than others. I just hope you manage to find a solution before Wednesday, being deaf is so socially isolating at times that it's an effort to go places.

6 minutes ago, Ricci's Special Kebabs said:

Go private to get your ears syringed, will cost about 50 quid

I mean I'd rather not if possible because I fundamentally disagree with private healthcare and am determined not to join in with it unless completely necessary. Also £50 is a lot of money to me at this point in time. If it comes to it, I'll have to do it, but I'll have to exhaust every other avenue first.

3 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

As a severely deaf person please do try and get professional advice ASAP,  I woke up totally deaf to words (I can hear sound but words are muffled) in one ear in 2005 and the other is going the same way. I wear hearing aids which help but I feel rather isolated a lot of the time. Mine surprisingly is not music related, I have Menieres Disease. Thankfully, Glastonbury (and other festivals) is the one place I can still enjoy live music.

Sorry about that. I'm currently undergoing a round of testing for my hearing loss + tinnitus. I understand that if I can still laugh about it, others with worse conditions may not be able to.

• Like 1