What a great time for me to suddenly go fucking deaf

Amy Lawn

45 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

That's what's happening in my life at the moment. Timing couldn't be better, obviously.

Gonna go sit in the GP's office on Monday until they get me back again. If not, I'll be walking around the meet on Wednesday going WHAT?

The universe has got a great sense of humour.

I turned 40 a couple of weeks ago, a day later I could hear almost nothing out of one of my ears, bugger, is this what getting old is? You can get syringe kits to dewax your own ears, or a nurse at a gp practice (maybe a walk in centre too as mentioned above), but before doing that a friend said you're supposed to lubricate whatevers in there for a couple of weeks (assuming this advice is in any way relevant). To do that pour in olive oil and / or optex, given the amount of time left I'd say both and several times a day - and then as late as you can before fest (to allow that to work) get yourself to nurse / WiC / borrow or find a syringe kit and hopefully pops out. I had a couple of weeks so ordered the syringe thing and it was easy to use. Also there is 'medical grade' olive oil, and also get it seen sooner too in case this advice is irrelevant. Good luck! 

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I lost my voice  at Nos Alive in Portugal. Not being able to speak at a festival may have been the most frustrating experience of my life.

Anyone who still has any vocal power left by the Sunday hasn't really been giving Glastonbury enough welly.

By the time Kenny Rogers came on in 2013 I could only communicate via gestures.

Even weeks later I still sounded like Comrade Dyatlov's boss.

Are you in any pain at all? If not then I’d bet it’s just a wax build up. Ordinarily straight to the docs obvs, but depending on how risk averse you are, I’d be starting on the otex express ear drops straight away and then trying flushing them out with the little rubber ball thing just before you leave for Glasto. I’ve done it loads of times, it’s pretty harmless. Not to be done if you think it’s an infection tho.

Hope you get it sorted though either way! 

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

No IEMs, but a guy at work did a full quiz with me about what it might be, and reckons that me using cotton wool buds to to clean my ears for ages might have pushed a load of wax in there, and then the drops I've been using have shifted some to the point it's blocking the ear. Got too much shit on today and tomorrow to really be able to get to walk in centre but I'm going to take Monday or Tuesday off sick and get them flushed out wherever somebody will see me.

My daughter did exactly that but on advice from nurse at the GP used Sodium Bicarbonate ear drops, get them from a chemist,  which really loosened the wax before she had them syringed.

Does sound like impacted wax, which is quickly solved by syringing given you've already been putting drops in to soften it. The GP surgery should sort it, or some walk-ins will do it but they vary in my experience. If you get stuck in the short timeframe, it is possible to get syringing done at a private walk in (in London at least), for an unwelcome fee of course but could be worth it if no other options before the festival.

8 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Sounds like you need a good ear syringe-ing @GETOFFAMYLAWN

If you’ve been putting the ear stuff down there the gunk will already be all soft and they’ll scoooosh that plugged up wax right outta in a jiffy. 

You’ll skip home wincing at the noise of your footfall and how much you...”wait, yes, ohmyfukkingod, I CHAMP when I eat!”

Best of luck. 

That's a better way of saying what I failed to get across ? fingers crossed 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone who still has any vocal power left by the Sunday hasn't really been giving Glastonbury enough welly.

By the time Kenny Rogers came on in 2013 I could only communicate via gestures.

Even weeks later I still sounded like Comrade Dyatlov's boss.

One Leeds festival when I was a teenager and I was fun I dressed as Ariel from the Little Mermaid one day, spent a lot of it pissed and screaming along to Panic! At The Disco or somebody similar. The next day, in a startling example of life imitating art, I transformed into a human again but alas the sea witch had taken my voice! No talking, singing, zip.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

I lost my voice  at Nos Alive in Portugal. Not being able to speak at a festival may have been the most frustrating experience of my life.

That happens to me quite often but frankly it's just a net benefit to everyone concerned.

13 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Sounds like you need a good ear syringe-ing @GETOFFAMYLAWN

If you’ve been putting the ear stuff down there the gunk will already be all soft and they’ll scoooosh that plugged up wax right outta in a jiffy. 

You’ll skip home wincing at the noise of your footfall and how much you...”wait, yes, ohmyfukkingod, I CHAMP when I eat!”

Best of luck. 

Well get you, Quincy, MD...

:)

Ben

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

One Leeds festival when I was a teenager and I was fun I dressed as Ariel from the Little Mermaid one day, spent a lot of it pissed and screaming along to Panic! At The Disco or somebody similar. The next day, in a startling example of life imitating art, I transformed into a human again but alas the sea witch had taken my voice! No talking, singing, zip.

I assume that using cutlery was also a challenge.

Have you checked the interior of the ear canal for corks, ear buds, lost socks, used prophylactics, etc?

I bought two of these sticks (see below) from a hippy shop (not for the price below, obvs) which are supposed to draw out the wax from within an ear. I said, I bought two of these sticks (see below) from a hippy shop (not for the price below, obvs) which are supposed to draw out the wax from within an ear.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Beeswax-Ear-Clean-Candles-Protector-Discs-Ears-Stress-Anxiety-Relief-Sleep-Set/15031148084?iid=132942515281

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

We agreed that you wouldn't share that picture. That was from me to you, and it is private.

Ben

Whilst normally I’d apologise profusely at this point Ben, I got asked for ID buying this evening’s booze in Tescos this morning. So I don’t GAF about anything today. I’ve gone rogue, rouge and I’m skipping on air. 

X

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Whilst normally I’d apologise profusely at this point Ben, I got asked for ID buying this evening’s booze in Tescos this morning. So I don’t GAF about anything today. I’ve gone rogue, rouge and I’m skipping on air. 

X

At a festival in the states, they asked for ID and gave me a wristband as proof, let’s say I am considerably older than 21. My group were in stitches when I arrived back with the drinks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

That's what's happening in my life at the moment. Timing couldn't be better, obviously.

Gonna go sit in the GP's office on Monday until they get me back again. If not, I'll be walking around the meet on Wednesday going WHAT?

The universe has got a great sense of humour.

Don't watch miley cyrus in case it suddenly comes back .

All seriousness hope gp sorts it for you