What a great time for me to suddenly go fucking deaf

Amy Lawn

That's what's happening in my life at the moment. Timing couldn't be better, obviously.

Gonna go sit in the GP's office on Monday until they get me back again. If not, I'll be walking around the meet on Wednesday going WHAT?

The universe has got a great sense of humour.

18 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

That's what's happening in my life at the moment. Timing couldn't be better, obviously.

Gonna go sit in the GP's office on Monday until they get me back again. If not, I'll be walking around the meet on Wednesday going WHAT?

At least you will be OK going to see Stormzy then ?

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And Dinosaur fucking Junior.

Well there's quite a bit of tinnitus going on in there you know, so it's near indistinguishable to the experience of listening to the stylings of Dinosaur Jr.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

Page to @bennyhana22

If somebody's been a bit virusy for a few weeks noticing their ears felt blocked in the mornings which went away by itself after being awake for a little bit, then started using over the counter eardrops to get rid of the block, only to find that after a couple of usages the ears felt more blocked, am I deaf forever doc?

GP won't see me because I've not been signed up to a GP since 2013 and now I have to do FORMS ON FORMS ON FORMS. Fucking hell.

37 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Well that's a shitter, hope it goes alright on Monday, with any luck it's just wax. I presume that you've got some earplugs to wear at gigs? My dad had hearing loss from work so I've seen the effects first hand; not good.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Page to @bennyhana22

If somebody's been a bit virusy for a few weeks noticing their ears felt blocked in the mornings which went away by itself after being awake for a little bit, then started using over the counter eardrops to get rid of the block, only to find that after a couple of usages the ears felt more blocked, am I deaf forever doc?

GP won't see me because I've not been signed up to a GP since 2013 and now I have to do FORMS ON FORMS ON FORMS. Fucking hell.

Eek!

That's just so difficult to answer without an accompanying examination, LAWNY.

Depends on the cause of the 'block' in the first place...

Could be impacted wax (especially if you use IEMs a lot - my ears were horrendously full a year or so ago...); could be fluid behind your eardrums if you've been virusy - middle ear 'effusions'.

Sorry not to be more helpful but, whilst the old adage is that 80% of diagnosis is based on history alone (which rings very true), with something like a specific symptom, someone needs a bloody good look in there. And, love you though I do, I ain't bringing my otoscope to the Farm...

Go to a Walk-In centre and get someone who isn't an idiot to look in your ears, fella.

Ben
x

Just now, Losing my hair said:

Well that's a shitter, hope it goes alright on Monday, with any luck it's just wax. I presume that you've got some earplugs to wear at gigs? My dad had hearing loss from work so I've seen the effects first hand; not good.

Particularly loud ones I use plugs (aforementioned Dinosaur Jr always necessitating plugs) but most of the stuff I go to see doesn't really require them. My hearing is normally pretty sharp, but I do have low-level persistent tinnitus in one ear from when I worked in a call centre for years, which is a worry.

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Could be impacted wax (especially if you use IEMs a lot - my ears were horrendously full a year or so ago...); could be fluid behind your eardrums if you've been virusy - middle ear 'effusions'.

No IEMs, but a guy at work did a full quiz with me about what it might be, and reckons that me using cotton wool buds to to clean my ears for ages might have pushed a load of wax in there, and then the drops I've been using have shifted some to the point it's blocking the ear. Got too much shit on today and tomorrow to really be able to get to walk in centre but I'm going to take Monday or Tuesday off sick and get them flushed out wherever somebody will see me.

Sounds like you need a good ear syringe-ing @GETOFFAMYLAWN

If you’ve been putting the ear stuff down there the gunk will already be all soft and they’ll scoooosh that plugged up wax right outta in a jiffy. 

You’ll skip home wincing at the noise of your footfall and how much you...”wait, yes, ohmyfukkingod, I CHAMP when I eat!”

Best of luck. 

48 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Total deaf or just muffled ?

Need to get to ear nose and throat (ENT) at your hospital who will give your ears a good hoover out and hopefully that twill sort it.

I imagine the doctor will just refer you there which will then take a bit of time.

Explain the situation and ENT might be good and squeeze you in before Wednesday.

Not sure if walk ins have the equipment to hover your ear ?

Good luck 

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

...using cotton wool buds to to clean my ears for ages might have pushed a load of wax in there, and then the drops I've been using have shifted some to the point it's blocking the ear. 

This ^^^