Family camping, but no kids for the first night?

sweetpickle

Hi,

Here's the dilemma folks- my friend is coming with her two toddlers on the Friday morning, but the grandparents are coming on the coach on the Thursday.

The plan is for the grandparents to set up camp for them all in family camping when they arrive Thursday morning, but my friend is concerned that security aren't going to let the grandparents in without any evidence of the grandchildren. Please does anyone have any experience of the family camping security, do you think they're likely to be strict and turn them away? Many thanks.

21 minutes ago, sweetpickle said:

Hi,

Here's the dilemma folks- my friend is coming with her two toddlers on the Friday morning, but the grandparents are coming on the coach on the Thursday.

The plan is for the grandparents to set up camp for them all in family camping when they arrive Thursday morning, but my friend is concerned that security aren't going to let the grandparents in without any evidence of the grandchildren. Please does anyone have any experience of the family camping security, do you think they're likely to be strict and turn them away? Many thanks.

My comment is relevant to Cockmill Meadow in 2015.

In 2015, the last time I camped there, it was open access.  There are really only two entries, the red arrow (via Acoustic Stage & Kids Field) and the purple arrow, from Muddy Lane / Big Ground / Kidney Mead.  Neither was set-up for security checks.  It was more like just another field, rather than a set-aside area.  There was a lockup and food place (the white tents near the purple arrow).  I'd say it was more self-policing, as in people might have said something (not that I saw this at all), rather than there being security.

Based on this one experience, I'd say they will be fine.

image.thumb.png.10241e109e166f7d271ccaf2a362c36a.png

There won’t be a problem, we were in Cockmill in 17 as a couple.

You won’t actually get in Cockmill past noon Wednesday though so it will have to be Wicket

You should be fine in Cockmill as that is open to all but family friendly. 

Wicket family camping is families only so you would have to convince the stewards that you would be having children joining you later and hope. 

To me Cockmill is the better of the two with more “buzz”. Wickets is more sterile, more organised and “safe”. 

Cockmill fills up quickly so that might be the deciding factor. 

If Cockmill is full and they can’t get into Wickets, Darble and Pylon are quiet and civilised and would be a good alternative. I’d leave it to the grandparents to decide, they know their grandchild and have their best interests at heart 

As Grandparents are arriving by coach Thursday the logical family camping area to use is Wicket as it is relatively close to Gate A, the entry point for coach passengers, and will still have space available. Cockmill is a long trek from Gate A and will almost certainly be full by Thursday.

Hi everybody, thanks for your advice above, now I have a follow on question please.

The grandparents are coming in entrance A Thursday early pm. They are going to try and get into wicket ground, but if not could you suggest which would be the best camp to try, considering they're  getting on a bit and will be lugging two biggish tents and all their stuff. They know there will be a map showing spaces available, but are any going to be particularly better for little kids? Tarw mentioned Pylon/Darble  (thank you), are they generally considered the best options?

Many thanks again. x