Staying Cool

Coppello

On 6/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, Quark said:

Cup of tea, helps cool you down.

Behave mum...

On 6/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, JGP said:

I'm a science teacher and this is actually true! (Warms your body up so you sweat which actually overall cools you down quite quickly)

Worth asking one of the food stalls for a "chicken vindaloo" as I believe this also has the same effect

Edited by BOBBY_FIRMINO

It's going to be slightly breezy, so the best way to cool your tent will be ventilation - get some air going through.

The foil blanket thing - we'll try it, but: noisy no matter where it's put and will compromise ventilation and water proof if it touches the outer skin. We'll give it a go (again!) though.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

Would attaching a load of foil blankets on the outside of the tent keep it cool or am I wasting my time?

I've used space blankets a few times - they knock about 5c off the temperature which often makes enough difference to enable you to stay in the tent. I use Gorilla tape and strong pegs to attach mine - you can attach string to the four corners and attach them that way too. The downside is that they rustle loudly which is only a problem if you are in a very quiet area or at night - if you use string or pegs you can untie them when you're not using them. Someone should invent a non-rustling tent solar shield ?

• Upvote 1

I put this in Glasto Hacks as well but if it is baking when you arrive I would definitely advise doing two trips from the car.  Take tent essentials on first trip but travel light.  That way in the slow moving queue you have significantly less to carry.

Once the tent is up, you can do your second trip and practically walk straight through the gate!

And cool water is your friend.  Drink it, bathe in it, dress in it!

On 6/21/2019 at 12:20 PM, dizzymoo said:

We take our caravan with the luxury of a fridge. We freeze a batch of capri sun for each day. If you wrap a pouch in several layers of bubble wrap and stash it in your day pack it will stay ice cold for around 8 hrs. You can use it to cool your skin, and when it eventually  thaws you can drink the contents. For campers, worth bringing some for the queue on Wednesday. 

How long do your frozen capri suns stay frozen in the fridge?

37 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I don't have time now to buy any extra things so I'm improvising. If I were to use clothes pegs to attach layers of newspaper or similar between the layers of my tent on the sunny side, would this help somewhat with the oven effect?

Tin foil / aluminium foil would be better.

I always go early and queue through the night despite camping in Dairy so not really needing to get there early enough for a prime camping spot. 2010 I wound up blistered after a 5 hour queue to get through gate D in blazing sun

22 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

I put this in Glasto Hacks as well but if it is baking when you arrive I would definitely advise doing two trips from the car.  Take tent essentials on first trip but travel light.  That way in the slow moving queue you have significantly less to carry.

Once the tent is up, you can do your second trip and practically walk straight through the gate!

And cool water is your friend.  Drink it, bathe in it, dress in it!

100% this. Got heat exhaustion in 2017 trying to carry everything I had from the car, added to standing around in the queue and having to put down/pick up bag constantly

On 6/21/2019 at 12:47 PM, Sasperella said:

I've just ordered these (to add to the massive poncho I bought two days ago....weather thread has got me preparing for everything!)....but I'm worried that if it rains it will somehow make the tent leak if it's in between the skins. Is that a really stupid thing to worry about?

Do you have a link please?

Just need a bit of advice - if I purchase some of these and put them on the inside of my tent do you think this will help make the tent darker inside and cooler?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-226306-Emergency-Foil-Blankets/dp/B00I0VYYH6/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=foil+blanket&qid=1561379311&s=gateway&sr=8-8