Staying Cool

Coppello

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Yep. In between the 2 skins of your tent. Use bulldog clips to keep them in place. Don’t put em on the outside - they rustle in the slightest breeze and piss off your tent neighbours. ?

How many do you need for a tent Woffy? Recognising that it will depend on the size of the tent before you tee up a "witty" response... ;)

• Upvote 1

You can use

1 hour ago, rquinn100 said:

Has anyone any tips on keeping your tent cool so you're not baked out of it at 6am?

I've just bought a load of those reflective heat blankets that I will try to put on the side of my tent. Not sure how well this will work. Anyone tried this or something similar?

You can use an poncho over the top of your tent, just make sure you have it raised slightly to allow the air to  flow , this will keep it cool and help keep the sunlight out at 4:30 AM, bring some bungees and  join two ponchos (or similar items) together with your new neighbour's, just be mindful not to block any walk ways. 

Also pouring/spraying water on the inside of your wrist will help cool you down - a damp sweatband or bandana will do the trick.

We take our caravan with the luxury of a fridge. We freeze a batch of capri sun for each day. If you wrap a pouch in several layers of bubble wrap and stash it in your day pack it will stay ice cold for around 8 hrs. You can use it to cool your skin, and when it eventually  thaws you can drink the contents. For campers, worth bringing some for the queue on Wednesday. 

25 minutes ago, The Nal said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COOLING-HOLIDAY-TRAVEL-PORTABLE-POCKET/dp/B01C4HHSP6

Essential stuff in the heat. Will be nipping the bars for ice. 

A can or two of this aswell.

6792.jpg

https://www.boots.com/avene-thermal-water-spray-150ml-150ml-10006007

Hang on, your input to this thread is a tad different to the giant wooden spoon you use when in the w**ther one!

lucky for me I have access to two fridge trucks - its really cool under them 

this shot was from 2010 when it was blistering hot and when not on duty I would be under one with my DAB radio on { radio 4 } - I could have sold tickets .

I am back again in the Crew bar although I hope to fix it to work dead early - 6am to noon as I prefer to work than being roasted in a tent.

2010-wbc-19.thumb.jpg.5f434d280039bef7f31fc22bb4aa0824.jpg

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Yep. In between the 2 skins of your tent. Use bulldog clips to keep them in place. Don’t put em on the outside - they rustle in the slightest breeze and piss off your tent neighbours. ?

I've just ordered these (to add to the massive poncho I bought two days ago....weather thread has got me preparing for everything!)....but I'm worried that if it rains it will somehow make the tent leak if it's in between the skins. Is that a really stupid thing to worry about?

59 minutes ago, Quark said:

How many do you need for a tent Woffy? Recognising that it will depend on the size of the tent before you tee up a "witty" response... ;)

Heh. Got a little Vango 2 man this year as I’m on my tod (spare wheel with 2 other couples) so I reckon 2 will do it.

22 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I've just ordered these (to add to the massive poncho I bought two days ago....weather thread has got me preparing for everything!)....but I'm worried that if it rains it will somehow make the tent leak if it's in between the skins. Is that a really stupid thing to worry about?

How do you mean, Sasp? 

There’s an air gap between the inner and outer, right? Apart from where you clip / hang the inner to the outer skin. So if it goes over the inner it shouldn’t effect the waterproofnosity of yer tent. 

Does ANY of that make sense?!

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

How do you mean, Sasp? 

There’s an air gap between the inner and outer, right? Apart from where you clip / hang the inner to the outer skin. So if it goes over the inner it shouldn’t effect the waterproofnosity of yer tent. 

Does ANY of that make sense?!

Yeh, I just thought that if the outer and inner touched, then water could get in....? I guess the key is to clip it very tightly to the inner one?

This is not a problem I was anticipating having a week ago!!!

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yeh, I just thought that if the outer and inner touched, then water could get in....? I guess the key is to clip it very tightly to the inner one?

This is not a problem I was anticipating having a week ago!!!

Ah!

Water? From the fire brigade spraying the dust down and keeping the punters cool?

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

A good tip could be to arrive earlier on wednesday if its looking like a scorcher. Queuing at 8am is much cooler than queuing at 12  / 1pm. The lines also move quicker at that time. I did this in 2017 (coach/ticket package) and it was a godsend, got the queuing, carrying of gear and tent pitching out of the way before it got crazy hot.

I arrived at queue at 7am for gate D that started as far back as pink car parks - 5 1/2 hours later I got through gate suffering sunstroke!! 

I drank loads of water and had sun lotion on and hat - it was brutal at gate D as they had not 1 but 2 bloody alton towers zig zag queues!! Getting out of pink took an hour alone :( 

Edited by shoptildrop