Staying Cool

Coppello

When it's really hot during the day, the evenings are usually amazing.  That's a dangerous combo for me - too tempting to celebrate by getting smashed and then paying a heavy price waking up to find the site has turned into an oven.  Having spent one extremely hot, hungover day at the Latitude Festival genuinely fearing for my life, I now won't drink any alcohol at all if extreme temperatures are on the cards.

8 minutes ago, st dan said:

Positive thoughts will also help. If you’re struggling in the heat .. just be thankful that you can lie/sit down on the grass and you’re not knee deep in mud in the driving rain. 

Just saw your profile pic and thought, who der hell is dat?

The water sprayer is a good idea 

Edited by Fat envelope

Water water water water. I keep my bottle hooked to my belt so I don't forget to drink, and top it up every time you pass a tap.  Don't matter if it's not empty, just keep it topped up with fresh cold wet stuff.

More expensive, but use a one-application suncream.  P20 or Boots Soltan range are both very good.

If you're not precious about looking 100%, soak hats and / or tshirts under the taps and stick em on wet.  Dries out slowly and does a bang up job of cooling you down.

Stick to beer / cider if you're going to drink, avoid spirits until later.

To add, if it's forecasted to be anything like it was last year for the queues, suck up the carrying effort and have a big old 5l bottle of water with you. One of our campers had heatstroke by the time I turned up to the camp last year from that queue, absolutely ruins you.

A good tip could be to arrive earlier on wednesday if its looking like a scorcher. Queuing at 8am is much cooler than queuing at 12  / 1pm. The lines also move quicker at that time. I did this in 2017 (coach/ticket package) and it was a godsend, got the queuing, carrying of gear and tent pitching out of the way before it got crazy hot.

Edited by Madyaker

5 minutes ago, JGP said:

I'm a science teacher and this is actually true! (Warms your body up so you sweat which actually overall cools you down quite quickly)

Unless you already happen to be sweating buckets from queuing in 30 degrees :lol:

5 minutes ago, TheBurns said:

I was really struggling on Wednesday in 2017. We went to see Mik Artistik in the CF field and they were spraying water on the crowd up there and it instantly improved my day!

Yes! The old boy with his arm in a sling and the hand pump?  I think I hugged him, lifesaver :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Yep. In between the 2 skins of your tent. Use bulldog clips to keep them in place. Don’t put em on the outside - they rustle in the slightest breeze and piss off your tent neighbours. ?

I'll need to remember this tip.

I received a passive aggressive note clipped to my tent one year by someone obviously pissed of at my rustling tent.

Not sure why, but never thought of having them inside the tent

3 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I'll need to remember this tip.

I received a passive aggressive note clipped to my tent one year by someone obviously pissed of at my rustling tent.

Not sure why, but never thought of having them inside the tent

Presumably because they would be more effective at reflecting light on the outside?  Wouldn't they?  Or does most of the infra-red pass straight through the outer layer?