Spare ticket - etiquette / general Qs

'Avalo-adofthat!

Hi guys,

I've been an avid lurker on these forums for about a decade (!) and was hoping to get some advice from you knowledgable lot...

Our group has found ourselves in a position where we have a spare ticket. Now obviously it's far too late for refunds etc, so I was wondering what people's thoughts were on essentially giving this ticket away? Obviously this would come with no guarantees (and personally, I don't think I'd risk the potential disappointment), but come Wednesday, one golden ticket is going in the bin.

I do have a couple of questions though. Firstly, is this frowned upon? (if it is, apologies & I'll delete this post). Secondly, and really most importantly (to me) - if I were to do this and the person is refused entry, could this in any way be tied to me? I was the lead booker and paid the deposit and the balance, and the ticket was posted out to me. Could I in any way be blacklisted for 'selling on' a ticket? Whilst I'd love for someone ticketless to have a chance to go, I'm not going to do this at the expense of my own chance of getting tickets in future.

I've had a mixed bag in terms of photo checking on entry before. I've been waved through with barely a glance. I've also been asked to remove my glasses whilst two people studied my ticket and tutted to one another to the point I was worried that I wasn't actually me! So while I definitely don't think it's worth the risk to travel from afar, if someone is local, ticketless, and thinks they can handle the possible (probable?) disappointment then I thought it was worth putting out there.

The ticket is female, 40 y.o, long dark hair. The photo has also been printed fairly dark, but I'm not sure if this would be an advantage or would just encourage more stringent checking.

Any thoughts gratefully received :) In the meantime I'm off to check the weather thread. I left it at 42 degrees and tornados - it's been a good 20 mins so we could have forecasts of snowfall by now ;) 

I don't think it's frowned upon. Selling tickets at a profit i.e. touting is frowned upon and the exact reasons for having the ID system in place. To give it away is fair play, even selling at or under face value I think would be fine as long as the buyer accepts the risk of not getting in.

As for tracking back to you. If it comes on top you say the person couldn't make it so you binned it. You have no idea what happened to it after being binned.

It gives someone the chance to go with a valid ticket albeit at a risk of them being refused. I'd say go for it.

Hello!

Regarding somebody trying and failing to get in on the ticket, it shouldn't get back to you.  As far as I am aware they don't take the ticket (or details off it) when refusing entry so the chances of this coming back on you is slim.  Even if it does, as lead booker, you can't be held responsible for what happens to the ticket once it it is in the hands of the owner.

I hope that helps clear things up a little!

oh and I've sent you a PM :)

Edited by Kinkyinuit

I have given a complete stranger (via one of my mates) my own Glastonbury ticket on one occasion. I was the person who booked the ticket, and had no comeback. However, I assume that is because the person got in and not caught. If I were in that position again (like you are now), then I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing again. I seriously doubt that there would or could be any comeback to you. As others have pointed out, you could sell this ticket easily at cost value. I didn't do that - I gave mine away. However, that was more to do with it being a very last minute decision not to go, as opposed to any altruism. I'm sure that if I had more time, I would have tried to recoup the price of the ticket. 

Just think - you've got the chance to provide somebody with all their Christmas and birthday presents ever,  rolled in to one. I would still try to charge for the ticket though.

Thanks for the responses guys - food for thought! My main concern was of course shifting this ticket coming back to haunt me - I hadn't really considered that I could just say I binned it and that was the last time I saw it!

I'll speak to the person who the ticket belongs to tonight. I'd basically told her that she has no chance of recouping any of the costs. As a mature student with very little spare cash she may be interested to hear that people think otherwise. It would of course be sub-face value if she does decide to go down that route but ultimately, it's her decision.

@Kinkyinuit, I shall reply to your PM now :)  

it happens, people cant go sell their ticket

I bought a fiends ticket in 2016, managed to get in. Obviously this goes against the tickets terms and conditions,. but if you have the balls to try it . then do it. shouldnt get back to you