Doc martens

I feel like Pablo

Quietly confident in the weather this year (just got this feeling that everything's going to be totally great forever. And also, it's been 2 years I wouldn't care if it rained start to finish as long as I'm there)

Having said this, do we think the festival can be done in doc martens? Assuming we will have a little mud/rain to contend with.  I have a really comfy pair and they are obviously much better at staying on your feet than wellies and waterproof. This is my 7th time and have only taken wellies and trainers previously. 

Husband is saying I have gone mad and must bring wellies but I don't see how it's any different to walking boots? 

Edited by I feel like Pablo
Can't spell contend

I wear Doc Martens all the time, including at Glastonbury as they are very comfortable with that amount of walking/standing. I always bring wellingtons as well though. Docs are not waterproof (whereas hiking boots are) and the mud can get deeper than the height of the DM shoes (even 10 hole).

Edited by Watergirl

On 6/19/2019 at 10:12 PM, Watergirl said:

I wear Doc Martens all the time, including at Glastonbury as they are very comfortable with that amount of walking/standing. I always bring wellingtons as well though. Docs are not waterproof (whereas hiking boots are) and the mud can get deeper than the height of the DM shoes (even 10 hole).

Oh right I just assumed they were waterproof, I appear to be wrong. 

On 6/20/2019 at 9:15 PM, brightyoungthing2 said:

New ones would be hell on earth?

This. In a very big way, this.

I did Glastonbury way way back with some new docs, which obviously weren't broken in. I cannot begin to describe the pain, and the frustration at virtually being rendered disabled in one fell swoop. I was close to crying as I hobbled (not very far) on the Sunday afternoon. I couldn't even get to the bogs, let alone accompany my friends on their travels around the site. Then I met the landlord of a lock in pub I used to frequent (that's how many years ago it was ie. no late night opening in them days), and he witnessed my plight, and said something along the lines of 'Here kid, take these two tablets'. I duly, and without hesitation, took the tablets. About half an hour later I was virtually skipping about the site. I look back on it now and realise that i must still have been doing tremendous damage to my feet, it's just that I could no longer feel the associated pain. 

By the way, these weren't space cadet tabs, they were fuck off and die pain killers.

So, to conclude, never ever even dream of doing any festival, let alone Glastonbury, in new docs. That way lies true madness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

This. In a very big way, this.

I did Glastonbury way way back with some new docs, which obviously weren't broken in. I cannot begin to describe the pain, and the frustration at virtually being rendered disabled in one fell swoop. I was close to crying as I hobbled (not very far) on the Sunday afternoon. I couldn't even get to the bogs, let alone accompany my friends on their travels around the site. Then I met the landlord of a lock in pub I used to frequent (that's how many years ago it was ie. no late night opening in them days), and he witnessed my plight, and said something along the lines of 'Here kid, take these two tablets'. I duly, and without hesitation, took the tablets. About half an hour later I was virtually skipping about the site. I look back on it now and realise that i must still have been doing tremendous damage to my feet, it's just that I could no longer feel the associated pain. 

By the way, these weren't space cadet tabs, they were fuck off and die pain killers.

So, to conclude, never ever even dream of doing any festival, let alone Glastonbury, in new docs. That way lies true madness.

Wow! What a bloody tale. Sounds utterly nightmarish. The pain killers, however, sound like something I'd be interested in getting hold of haha. 

My Docs are, thankfully, over a year old. 

I saw someone I know has recently climbed snowdon with walking boots purchased the day before. It made me shudder in horror. 

Off topic but I bought myself a pair of German army Para boots for festival use about, 14 years ago when I was working over 10 festivals each season. I eventually gave them to my son who has had them 4 years or so and they are getting an outing this year. I will be mostly wearing a high leg pair of boots from Cat. 

A handy hint for dryness is socks. As many pairs as you have. 

• 2 years later...

I just bought a pair of DMs.

- needed a pair of smart(ish) shoes for going out (i.e. that aren’t climbing approach shoes)

- wanted something unisex/androgynous  for drag. Not as good as heals (as don’t disguise big feet as well) but I wore knee-high platform heels in 2016 mud, and it was a challenge

I noticed they do a waterproof variant so went for these. Now just got to break them in…

On 6/19/2019 at 9:00 PM, I feel like Pablo said:

Quietly confident in the weather this year (just got this feeling that everything's going to be totally great forever. And also, it's been 2 years I wouldn't care if it rained start to finish as long as I'm there)

Having said this, do we think the festival can be done in doc martens? Assuming we will have a little mud/rain to contend with.  I have a really comfy pair and they are obviously much better at staying on your feet than wellies and waterproof. This is my 7th time and have only taken wellies and trainers previously. 

Husband is saying I have gone mad and must bring wellies but I don't see how it's any different to walking boots? 

Doc Martens every time 😃