Leave No Trace

lbferb

I and my group are meticulous about cleaning up our camping area after us and we always use the bins when we're out and about too but I will admit that probably a few fag butts ended up on the floor over the years.  This year, I don't smoke so that will be my positive contribution.  I am also going to try harder at calling out people who are creating a shit tip.  Having been to 2 virtually clean festivals since the last Glasto (well done Green man and Bearded Theory!), its proof it can be done, so if we all try a little bit harder we'll optimistically start to see a difference.

ok so what have I done ... I have really stepped my game up this year and tried to promote the message ... I have made 2 hats and some t-shirts for the event all with the love the farm message on them ..... the lights I have on all my garments have had the batteries charged by solar panels and will be topped up hopefully by solar on the farm ... no throwaway batteries this year .... no glow sticks either .... the ribbon tower is a recycled bottle and yogurt pot lid  and the shoes ive made with environmentally friendly glitter and used an old pair destined for the bin ..... bottles have gone all reusable with a mixture of chilley bottles and reusable sports bottle for the spirits .... and I have joined the worthy warriors for the second time to help promote the message .... If everyone could whilst waiting in queue or at a stage just pick up a couple of bits of litter ... it starts with us ... and impacts everyone down the line ..... We all love Glastonbury but think just how much lovelier it would be without wading through peoples throwaway shit :) 

Love the farm Everyone 

Alex 

always try to do my bit but definitely making extra considerations this year in terms of no wet wipes - and I've been tricked into buying biodegradable glitter even though ive never worn glitter to a festival. (I will buy anything that is advertised to me).

- also on the tents, I've seen people last year at boomtown going around and taking down all the decent tents that were left on the Monday morning, they said they usually take 8-10 home and ebay them, pays for the whole festival!

Edited by grilladelphia

2 hours ago, ian the worm said:

That’s my video. ???

Please share the fuck out of it and encourage change. 

Thank you so much for creating it and for highlighting such a disgusting issue... it shows everything that is wrong with society today and is a stark reminder of how far we have to go to alter peoples 'throwaway' mindsets. Hopefully it will have made an impact on some of the 746K + viewers and we will see a much cleaner festival this year, with festival goers respecting the environment and the land that we are so kindly invited to party on !! 

17 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ok so what have I done ... I have really stepped my game up this year and tried to promote the message ... I have made 2 hats and some t-shirts for the event all with the love the farm message on them ..... the lights I have on all my garments have had the batteries charged by solar panels and will be topped up hopefully by solar on the farm ... no throwaway batteries this year .... no glow sticks either .... the ribbon tower is a recycled bottle and yogurt pot lid  and the shoes ive made with environmentally friendly glitter and used an old pair destined for the bin ..... bottles have gone all reusable with a mixture of chilley bottles and reusable sports bottle for the spirits .... and I have joined the worthy warriors for the second time to help promote the message .... If everyone could whilst waiting in queue or at a stage just pick up a couple of bits of litter ... it starts with us ... and impacts everyone down the line ..... We all love Glastonbury but think just how much lovelier it would be without wading through peoples throwaway shit :) 

Love the farm Everyone 

Alex 

Wonderful stuff. What are Worthy Warriors and is it too late to get involved??

Such a great point about everyone just picking up a couple of bits of litter here or there, doesn't take much to make a positive impact.

28 minutes ago, bexj said:

I and my group are meticulous about cleaning up our camping area after us and we always use the bins when we're out and about too but I will admit that probably a few fag butts ended up on the floor over the years.  This year, I don't smoke so that will be my positive contribution.  I am also going to try harder at calling out people who are creating a shit tip.  Having been to 2 virtually clean festivals since the last Glasto (well done Green man and Bearded Theory!), its proof it can be done, so if we all try a little bit harder we'll optimistically start to see a difference.

Well done on the no smoking! 

Out of interest, why do you think Green Man and Bearded are doing so well on the 'clean' front? Better waste facilities / different clientele who are more concious perhaps??

2 minutes ago, lbferb said:

Well done on the no smoking! 

Out of interest, why do you think Green Man and Bearded are doing so well on the 'clean' front? Better waste facilities / different clientele who are more concious perhaps??

Thanks!

Both only sold reusable cups at the bars - that has made a huge difference.   But at Glasto its not just the cups, but people eat and leave a plate of food just where they were sat.  That didn't seem to happen at either of the other fests.  Whether that's a slightly different demographic I don't know, but there wasn't noticeably more bins.  The litter pickers at Green man were bored!  Glastonbury does seem to have a lot of overflowing bins but that doesn't mean that people should just leave their stuff where they used it, at least put it in a pile of rubbish.  I dunno, it breaks my heart.  It has definitely put one of my friends off from coming to Glastonbury, he can't cope with seeing the mess and destruction of nature.

I put this on the David attenborough thread but think it has a place on here too ... Im hoping he will appear on the pyramid as I have an idea .... with a full crowd how difficult would it be to clear that arena of litter if he was to ask us to pick some up ... 30 seconds of litter picking would  make that place immaculate and reinforce the message of people not dropping it for the rest of the festival and build a kind of ethos around it :) ....Anyone have Davids or Emilys number ? :) 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bexj said:

Maybe, just maybe, David Attenbrough might make a difference.....if he comes!

This would be EVERYTHING!! @crazyfool1 just made an excellent point over in the Attenborough thread...if he spoke on the Pyramid and asked every single person to pick up one piece of litter, image the impact that would have and the message it would spread. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I put this on the David attenborough thread but think it has a place on here too ... Im hoping he will appear on the pyramid as I have an idea .... with a full crowd how difficult would it be to clear that arena of litter if he was to ask us to pick some up ... 30 seconds of litter picking would  make that place immaculate and reinforce the message of people not dropping it for the rest of the festival and build a kind of ethos around it :) ....Anyone have Davids or Emilys number ? :) 

Out of up votes but I couldn't agree more !! 

2 hours ago, kaytee... said:

We tidy up after ourselves anyway but leaving the wipes in favour of a collapsible bucket and a good old flannel this year. Leaving plastic cups, alcohol in steel bottles where possible. Just generally trying to pack as few things that will go in the bin as possible

I'm looking for an alternative to wet wipes this year. Maybe I'm not thinking it through properly, but I presume you're using this outside of the tent and not literally cleaning everything? Or is there a collapsible bucket large enough to be able to keep your tent dry inside while cleaning everything in privacy?

Edited by Little Andy

100% all of the above. The waste and thoughtlessness is the main thing that bothers me about the festival (or indeed any grouping of humans in one place). 

Great tip on the flannel and basin idea. My lady and I am aiming to be as minimum waste as possible, and we always make sure we've cleaned up after ourselves. Any other more-ecofriendly solutions would be great to hear!

People seem to mistake 5 days of hedonism to be free past the cost of the ticket. The cost of having an amazing time somewhere is making sure that you are able to return there in the future to repeat it. 

I spoke to GFL in 2016 and offered them use of my video for 2017. They hate it too. Probably more than us as it’s them that get the terrible publicity. 

My video is being used this year by a digital online magazine thing - but the article is probably published just after G.