Leave No Trace

lbferb

I am sure this must have been posted somewhere on here before, but I have just come across this video highlighting the extreme amount of waste left on site after the 2016 festival and wanted to share again as a reminder to all to LEAVE NO TRACE! It just makes me so sad seeing this video and the sheer volume of things just dumped, for someone else to deal with. 

What are you doing differently this year to be more sustainable? Any tips you can share with this community? 

• Upvote 1

I'm bringing flannels and a washing up bowl to reduce the need for wet wipes. I'm bringing my reusable coffee cup and my own cutlery to reduce the need for these as well. All little changes but more importantly I've started doing them all the time so not just at the festival. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I find videos such as the one above heartbreaking.

Me too, it's just the sheer volume of the same stuff - perfect tents, airbeds, chairs, duvets, clothes.... 

There is just no excuse, people should be fined for it !! 

Did litter picking clean up after the last festival and found tickets in tents, full of air beds, sleeping bags. We actually talked about sending them to festival hoping they would ban people. Found a large expensive tent slashed so couldn’t be reused ?? Took home loads of gear, all our group are sorted for this year. 

13 minutes ago, vulnicuras said:

Aside from the argument of reusing for the environment, who can justify spending that money on camping gear and just leaving it there?? What a waste.

Sadly tents are really quite affordable though for some people. You can probably buy a big tent between a group of people and it's cheaper than staying at Worthy View and then because people have all chipped in nobody wants to look like the cheapskate who is bringing it home. That's the mentality that we have to try and change. 

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Sadly tents are really quite affordable though for some people. You can probably buy a big tent between a group of people and it's cheaper than staying at Worthy View and then because people have all chipped in nobody wants to look like the cheapskate who is bringing it home. That's the mentality that we have to try and change. 

I'd definitely be the one taking it home.  

40 minutes ago, Yorkshire Chomper said:

Persuaded my mate who always leaves his tent to take it home.  This is a big shift.  And it came from watching the above vid. 

Glad you changed your mates attitude to leaving tent behind. Personally I'd of changed mates and told them what I thought of them whilst tidying their shit up. ?

20 minutes ago, vulnicuras said:

Aside from the argument of reusing for the environment, who can justify spending that money on camping gear and just leaving it there?? What a waste.

It doesn't help the mindset that unfortunately for a lot of people buying their cheap shit tent + sleeping bag + airbed combined cost them less than 1 nights hotel room in London would.

And because they've bought cheap shit kit, they then find it unfit for purpose and justify it to themselves that they can leave it "for charity", as if charity would want it. Utter bullshit of course but people will do mental gymnastics to convince themselves that they're not arseholes.

The best answer is to spend more to start with, get something decent and you'll have a better experience overall and will actually want to reuse it.

1 minute ago, ripcurl85 said:

I'd definitely be the one taking it home.  

So would I but what I said was what a work experience student said to me about him and his mates going to Kendall Calling. They club in about £20-£25 quid each to buy the tent and he felt that none of them really deserved to be the one to take it home because none of them owned it and to be the one to pick it up you'd be in his words a cheapskate. I told him in my words you'd be morally responsible and sensible because you could use the same tent again the next year but it seemed appearing like a cheapskate in front of his mates was just the worst thing!! 

1 hour ago, Theredroseflag said:

Did litter picking clean up after the last festival and found tickets in tents, full of air beds, sleeping bags. We actually talked about sending them to festival hoping they would ban people.

This should be done. IMO. ?

It's so easy to clear up after yourselves as well. We always take a few bin bags with us and bag it up as we go then drop it off at the main bins come Monday. A couple of years back a few friends left their tent so the following year I refused to help secure their tickets (I've always been the lucky one getting through), they haven't actually been back since as been unlucky in the sales 

It's not hard to clean up. I don't understand those who are there obviously love the festival so why can't they respect it too?
Saying that we plan to try and clean up as many tents as possible, get them home and cleaned. 

1 minute ago, cb4747 said:

It's not hard to clean up. I don't understand those who are there obviously love the festival so why can't they respect it too?
Saying that we plan to try and clean up as many tents as possible, get them home and cleaned. 

I imagine they're the same people that piss/shit anywhere they want instead of using the facilities provided