Calling parents - tips for a muddy one!

Miathedog

Just in case, as of course it's going to be fine...

We went in 2005 and 2007 with husband's daughter, then aged around 8 and 10. 2005 was great, as we luckily didn't flood, and after the storm that was a nice year weather-wise. Amazing memories of that year overall. 2007 was bloody hard work, but as she was a sensible kid, and we made sure we enjoyed strategic cider at regular points over the weekend, while it was a real slog at points I don't remember it being too stressful (at least until the hideous coach-queuing fiasco on the Monday that was so awful it put us off going the next year, but that's a whole other thing). Fast forward to now, and having an extremely lively 6-year-old boy, and I am starting to get a little nervous about how to handle a wet one. I have visions of him constantly face planting in mud, which make me twitch but husband seems to think would just be hilarious... or slipping on wooden castles and pirate ships, surely not remotely safe in wet years? Do they just close them? How on earth do you keep kids happy in the event of constant miserable rain, anyway?

If any parents have tips or advice for how to survive and enjoy a muddy / wet Glasto, I'd love to hear them! Apart from anything else, ideas on how to manage without wet wipes would be useful! I feel like I'm just getting too old to face a year like 2007 again. Not that it will be, of course (ahem).

thanks in advance! x

Attitude.  

It’s the key to enjoying a wet festival as an adult and even more so if you have children.

If you accept that getting wet and muddy is not going to do you any harm and just enjoy yourself it’s half the battle.  If you’ve got a lively 6 year old boy will he want to climb the castle in the rain? Probably.  Will he slip ? Maybe.  Will he just get up and carry on or start crying? It depends on his attitude and those near him.

On a practical note make sure he has suitable clothes and go to the circus at the big top if it is raining too hard.

Yes definitely attitude! And remembering where you are and how lucky you are to be there! 

But on a practical side I would say to carry around in your day bags at least one full change of clothes for each of you In a waterproof bag for life so If you do get soaked you can change into dry clothes when it clears up. Or can store in a lock up close to the action if camping far out. 

Also take a roll up picnic blanket the kind with a shiny non-fabric side to put on wet ground so you can sit down. 

Also lots of cider. 

We are taking our 9mo for the first time this year and can't wait!

Edited by I feel like Pablo
Added extra info

Thanks both! You are totally right, of course, attitude is everything. Mine will no doubt improve along with cider consumption! Yes, definitely right to remember where we are. We only got tickets in the resale and still can't quite believe we're going after months of trying to forget about it even happening. It will be amazing no matter what, and I'm sure I will feel less anxious once we are back on the farm again after so long away.

Yes, also, Circus is an excellent idea! And I think there are some movies he will enjoy on in Pilton Palais as well. It seems kind of wrong to spend Glasto time watching movies in a way, but equally could be a godsend in the right conditions.

We are taking little folding stools so can always sit down no matter what. And a bigger tent than we were taking (we have several), so can be a bit more comfy back at camp when surrounded by wet weather gear.

Have a great time with your 9mo! We took him to the first couple of days of Glasto when he was 10mo, and it was brilliant.

There are plenty of inside activities as well as outside to keep him occupied- tire him out! Circus, greenfield, craft fields, random stuff in glebeland and Bellas field, and the kids field, and the Pilton Palais and the music and walkabouts and ..........don’t worry about the mud - it will be fine?

1 hour ago, Miathedog said:

Thanks both! You are totally right, of course, attitude is everything. Mine will no doubt improve along with cider consumption! Yes, definitely right to remember where we are. We only got tickets in the resale and still can't quite believe we're going after months of trying to forget about it even happening. It will be amazing no matter what, and I'm sure I will feel less anxious once we are back on the farm again after so long away.

Yes, also, Circus is an excellent idea! And I think there are some movies he will enjoy on in Pilton Palais as well. It seems kind of wrong to spend Glasto time watching movies in a way, but equally could be a godsend in the right conditions.

We are taking little folding stools so can always sit down no matter what. And a bigger tent than we were taking (we have several), so can be a bit more comfy back at camp when surrounded by wet weather gear.

Have a great time with your 9mo! We took him to the first couple of days of Glasto when he was 10mo, and it was brilliant.

Thank you, you too! We aren't sure if we have lost our minds or its the best idea ever? Only time will tell haha.