Rory Stewart at Glastonbury

Apone

3 hours ago, OG said:

It's nice to just be in a space/place where you know that the majority of people feel and think the same as you.  

Hmmm. It's nice to think that it is, but is that really the case? 

This country keeps on voting tory, and even 'top' tories go to Glastonbury.

:( 

Edited by eFestivals

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

This country keeps on voting tory, and even 'top' tories go to Glastonbury.

:( 

I don’t think it’s the case, ticket day is random, festivals have a massively broad appeal now, more than ever before, and everyone wants to go to Glastonbury. I’d say there will be just as many Tory voters there as there would be any other party.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Definitely not - but at least having the general lean that way is a lovely change and we can live in hope some of it will sink in.

I'm sure I remember it being more 'left' in the past too, slowly dropping down to around 2013ish but it's picked back up lately as - at least it seems - Emily's found some causes close to her heart. 

6 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t think it’s the case, ticket day is random, festivals have a massively broad appeal now, more than ever before, and everyone wants to go to Glastonbury. I’d say there will be just as many Tory voters there as there would be any other party.

Judging by the amount of selfish littering and leaving of tents, etc. behind, I think you're right.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, bombfrog said:

What a ridiculous comparison Nobody is expecting a Tory to jump the gate, bypassing security checks and just gatecrash the Leftfield tent and start shouting at the speaker, they'd presumably be invited to a debate.

But they aren't a "broad church" as they used to claim to be and it would be hard to envisage greenpeace being invited to a tory event, hence the guerilla tactics.

The comparison seems to have made you a bit angry for some reason.

Glastonbury is political to its core and always has been. Some of the central tenets of its existence do not sit with Conservative politics... but it is run by a Westcountry farmer and they are the last bastion of economic conservatism in the South West.

But simply having official areas like the LeftField, GreenPeace and the PermaCulture means you have to try to avoid Glastonbury's politics. It's not simply an echo chamber, but it definitely leans in certain directions. You wouldn't get very far with a "Build the Wall!" or "Scrap benefit culture!" speech and that's a perfectly fine thing.

Glastonbury influenced so many of my beliefs as a teenager; whether developing a life-long respect for Greenpeace activists between the Green Fields and the classic "You Get What You Give" video on the Pyramid stage, to sitting wide-eyed as Tony Benn showed me how different the outside world behaved to Worthy Farm at the end of June... I'd be a different person if I hadn't started going that young.

I wouldn't oppose any Tory speaking at Glastonbury. But I wouldn't oppose them being soaked in piss as a result, either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magma said:

the classic "You Get What You Give" video on the Pyramid stage

This always takes me back to my first festivals and watching the water aid where you money goes and that tipping me completely over the edge into passionately in love with the place for the Nth time that weekend

It was many years later before I ever heard someone saying "this is boring why depress us" - it'll be an amazing festival if the Extinction Rebellion stuff brings that awareness back

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, frostypaw said:

This always takes me back to my first festivals and watching the water aid where you money goes and that tipping me completely over the edge into passionately in love with the place for the Nth time that weekend

It was many years later before I ever heard someone saying "this is boring why depress us" - it'll be an amazing festival if the Extinction Rebellion stuff brings that awareness back

A speech from a WaterAid representative on the Pyramid got me on the Sunday afternoon of 2017

2 minutes ago, Upside down frowner said:

A speech from a WaterAid representative on the Pyramid got me on the Sunday afternoon of 2017

I think the optimism and smiles of You Only Get What You Give fit much better after that than a spot with Ann Widdecombe explaining how we shouldn't send so much aid money overseas and instead spend on here on things so they can pay less tax.