Rory Stewart at Glastonbury

Apone

1 minute ago, t0paz said:

No, it's an inclusive place where all views are listened to equally. It may be that most people are left leaning but that doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. Them v Us never achieves much in the end. And it's good to challenge your views, rather than listening to what you already agree with all the time.

Tories are often wrong, as history constantly suggests, but I am not having this debate today. 

However, how inclusive should we be then... How about a few Climate Change deniers cos Extinction Rebellion is there? or maybe a few Trump supporters or maybe some Neo-Nazi's (both of which seem to be unrepresented on the political line up)? Its stupid to suggest that a private festival has to give a voice to the right, its not the BBC.

Also fwiw I challenge my own views as much as possible. But Glastonbury is a celebration of left-wing politics and that's how it should remain. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, t0paz said:

No, it's an inclusive place where all views are listened to equally. It may be that most people are left leaning but that doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. Them v Us never achieves much in the end. And it's good to challenge your views, rather than listening to what you already agree with all the time.

You can be left wing and informed about different ideas by listening to numerous sources who are acting in good faith and well informed. Tories don't fall under that remit as they're just spinning and lying to keep themselves in power. Platforming somebody who's a known liar and racist lends them an undue air of legitimacy. Tory cuts have killed tens of thousands and every one of them should be regarded as unwelcome for that alone. Deciding you don't want to hear anymore from these shitbags isn't an echo chamber it's just good sense.

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

However, how inclusive should we be then.

Well, exactly as the OP suggested. If this guy is down to the final 2 to be our PM for the next 3 years and will possibly be the one to save us from the Brexit debacle then I'd be interested in seeing what he has to say, whether I agree with him or not.

38 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

The festival is, and always has always been, left wing. Also if you heard/ saw the reaction to Jeremy Corbyn last time I highly doubt that the majority of people are Tories. Maybe centre left/ liberal, but not Tories (Especially Tories at the moment).   

Yes that's the perceived reality

42 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

The festival is, and always has always been, left wing. Also if you heard/ saw the reaction to Jeremy Corbyn last time I highly doubt that the majority of people are Tories. Maybe centre left/ liberal, but not Tories (Especially Tories at the moment).    

It is largely left-wing and the crowds for Corbyn suggest that. I wasn't there in 2016 but it sounded like the general mood was "oh shit", which again suggests the crowd is largely left-wing, centrist at a push, or just totally apathetic to politics in general.

I hope not, I really want a weekend away.

To be clear that's not a weekend away from politics, just a weekend away from working out which tosser is gonna smear shit on the walls of my house while explaining  how they're going to drag it out of the neighborhood I like using only a bulldozer.

39 minutes ago, Keithy said:

You can tell Glastonbury is just around the corner when the annual 'they should invite more Tories to speak' post crops up and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the festival and it's history.

Or indeed ME's decades of active support for the Labour party.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/16/michael-and-emily-eavis-glastonbury-interview-jeremy-corbyn

https://www.somersetlabour.co.uk/west-country/michael-eavis-backs-labour/

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

Aye but he has done quite a bit to push an environmental agenda in the Tory party, against the Heathrow runway etc.

I'm not sure what could be discussed with Rory that would fit in at Glastonbury?

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24911/zac_goldsmith/richmond_park/divisions?policy=6670

Still a piece of shit 

Rory (Rod! ?) Stewart only appears as personable as he does, because of the absolute state of the other leadership candidates. Despite his humility, I feel it's just a cynical strategy. And he's still a dyed-in-the-wool Tory with a hateful voting record. But he's not going to win. We all know it'll be Boris.

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

Aye but he has done quite a bit to push an environmental agenda in the Tory party, against the Heathrow runway etc.

I'm not sure what could be discussed with Rory that would fit in at Glastonbury?

Still a Tory, and that’s what people are suggesting should deprive him of a platform.

Agree about Rory though; if he was on the final two then appealing to Glastonbury is a waste of time. It would actually hamper his chances with the Conservative members in the middle of the vote.

Edited by dentalplan

15 minutes ago, WStoner said:

Oh aye, not defending him. No idea why he's been invited to Glastonbury, just presuming it's going to be a narrow discussion about environmental issues and potentially the Heathrow third runway. Can't think of any other reason.