Rory Stewart at Glastonbury

Apone

22 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Zac Goldsmith is already speaking on one of the stages as well. Tories here, Tories there, Tories every-fucking-where.

Uncomfortable reality check, Tories are probably the most represented political party at Glastonbury

He's not going to appear at Glastonbury. He is still a right wing Tory. He just appears moderate compared to the nutters. His voting record is not good if you are centre left and beyond.

He appears a likeable chap but that's exactly why Boris is popular. To some people he's also a likeable chap. It's the cult of the personality that is so damaging to modern society. Nobody bothers to scratch below the surface.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I really hope that Glastonbury wouldn't give him a forum to appear more hip and cool and legitimise him. 

Why? All he's got to appeal to are the gammonista of the Tory Party membership. It's those c**ts that have the final say.

I'm no Tory fan but every side should get their turn to speak. That's what true democracy is. And one of these guys will end up being PM.

I'd invite Boris to come and do a Q&A in the Leftfield tent. It'd be a cold day in hell before he turned up though.

Just now, t0paz said:

I'm no Tory fan but every side should get their turn to speak. That's what true democracy is. And one of these guys will end up being PM.

I'd invite Boris to come and do a Q&A in the Leftfield tent. It'd be a cold day in hell before he turned up though.

3 minutes ago, Keithy said:

He's not going to appear at Glastonbury. He is still a right wing Tory. He just appears moderate compared to the nutters. His voting record is not good if you are centre left and beyond.

He appears a likeable chap but that's exactly why Boris is popular. To some people he's also a likeable chap. It's the cult of the personality that is so damaging to modern society. Nobody bothers to scratch below the surface.

Tbf, Zac Goldsmith is appearing at Glastonbury 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Why? All he's got to appeal to are the gammonista of the Tory Party membership. It's those c**ts that have the final say.

True but when nothing can get through parliament there will either be another referendum or another general election. Why do you think Rory is trying so hard to appear man of the people and also Tory party members will care about who can keep them in power the longest so they will care what the general public think of their new leader. 

6 minutes ago, Apone said:

Uncomfortable reality check, Tories are probably the most represented political party at Glastonbury

The festival is, and always has always been, left wing. Also if you heard/ saw the reaction to Jeremy Corbyn last time I highly doubt that the majority of people are Tories. Maybe centre left/ liberal, but not Tories (Especially Tories at the moment).    

5 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Why should they be allowed to speak?!? Glastonbury is a private festival with a storied history of left wing politics. Democracy means people can speak freely, but people don't have to listen to them.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Tbf, Zac Goldsmith is appearing at Glastonbury 

Aye but he has done quite a bit to push an environmental agenda in the Tory party, against the Heathrow runway etc.

I'm not sure what could be discussed with Rory that would fit in at Glastonbury?

7 minutes ago, t0paz said:

In principle, yeah.  In practice, there are other fora much more suited than an ostensibly left wing event.

1 minute ago, kemosabe said:

Why should they be allowed to speak?!? Glastonbury is a private festival with a storied history of left wing politics. Democracy means people can speak freely, but people don't have to listen to them.

No, it's an inclusive place where all views are listened to equally. It may be that most people are left leaning but that doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. Them v Us never achieves much in the end. And it's good to challenge your views, rather than listening to what you already agree with all the time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1