A4 bag rule

JonC

They first brought this rule in two years ago. I queried it with the admin team via twitter, who just repeated that over A4 size bags weren't allowed.  When we arrived, took my 30 litre (a normal sized rucksack-bigger than A4) down to the arena, and we just had to go in the "large bag" queue, not the "small or bum bag" queue.  Was the same last year.    Unless they have tightened up the rules for no reason this year should be fine with a normal sized bag.   Otherwise I'll have to dig out the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtle bum bag I had when I was 6 - the appropriate age for anyone carrying a bum bag!  

I seem to recall that they announcd this the week of the festival two years ago and got flamed on social media so quickly back-tracked and confirmed that you can take in normal backpacks but would be subject to strict searches and a longer queue, A4 and smaller into a fast lane.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have posted on another forum as below

A4 Bag of Sh1te Policy

I am amazed that there has not been more comments about the new policy about maximum bag size for entry to the arena!

Are you aware of the restriction to maximum A4 bag size? Apparently, that is Height 30 cm Width 21 cm and Depth 8 cm. Just stop and think about that for a moment...

You get across the site from your camping site and all you are allowed is a max A4 bag size! Typically you go for the day if you can and not go in and out of the arena area for what? well ..

Your cold weather gear, your wet weather gear, possibly a rug to sit on or even a low chair. You may well want to bring in your own food for dietary reasons including allergies, basics such as sunscreen, a bottle of water,  loo roll, wet wipes, sunglasses vision glasses and lots more

Oh and by the way I want to go lake swimming so I want to take in a decent size of towels and a change of clothes. 

Yes I am pissed off so I really hope that the organisers don't divert the flack onto some health and safety requirement as this will normally be inaccurate. I can begrudgingly understand that they want you to buy any alcoholic drinks in the arena and to encourage you to eat the food from the stall holders who are no doubt paying a lot of money in fees and staff costs but I find this ridiculous.

Oh and I pessimistically anticipate that we may well be told by the organisers that this is the way things are going at festivals security etc. They don't have to be the same as others - be different! 

I hope that this will spur on a decent debate about this issue, human beings should not be herded, there are plenty of sheep on site for that.

Malcolm in the Middle

2 hours ago, Malcolm in the Middle said:

Hi I have posted on another forum as below

A4 Bag of Sh1te Policy

I am amazed that there has not been more comments about the new policy about maximum bag size for entry to the arena!

Are you aware of the restriction to maximum A4 bag size? Apparently, that is Height 30 cm Width 21 cm and Depth 8 cm. Just stop and think about that for a moment...

You get across the site from your camping site and all you are allowed is a max A4 bag size! Typically you go for the day if you can and not go in and out of the arena area for what? well ..

Your cold weather gear, your wet weather gear, possibly a rug to sit on or even a low chair. You may well want to bring in your own food for dietary reasons including allergies, basics such as sunscreen, a bottle of water,  loo roll, wet wipes, sunglasses vision glasses and lots more

Oh and by the way I want to go lake swimming so I want to take in a decent size of towels and a change of clothes. 

Yes I am pissed off so I really hope that the organisers don't divert the flack onto some health and safety requirement as this will normally be inaccurate. I can begrudgingly understand that they want you to buy any alcoholic drinks in the arena and to encourage you to eat the food from the stall holders who are no doubt paying a lot of money in fees and staff costs but I find this ridiculous.

Oh and I pessimistically anticipate that we may well be told by the organisers that this is the way things are going at festivals security etc. They don't have to be the same as others - be different! 

I hope that this will spur on a decent debate about this issue, human beings should not be herded, there are plenty of sheep on site for that.

Malcolm in the Middle

They let you in with any reasonable sized bag. They're not stupid, they know some of us have kids and need everything bar the kitchen sink.

All they do it have a larger bag and an A4 bag queue. The latter moves faster than the former as there are fewer stringent checks.

It's been in place a couple of years now and no problems as far as I'm aware, as long as you don't mind queueing to have your larger bag checked (and you shouldn't mind, given the reasons behind it).